Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if your IS3000 does this as well but mine makes a whistling noise when the A/C is ON. When the blower is on, the noise is not there, only when the A/C light is on. The dealer can not find the problem but the noise is annoying. It is coming from the drivers side. Oh, and it is the A/C vents. I've tested that already. Anyone have any suggestions or the same thing happen to them?

·
Registered
45 Posts
I had the exact same noide with my IS and when I took it to the dealer @ the 5000 check-up they said they couldn't find anything wrong with it. It's annoying as hell. What can we do about this? Plus I get a squeeking sound from the seatbelt harness area too.

·
Registered
406 Posts
the squeaking is from the seat belt buckle attach point and or the buckle itself, i just dripped a bit of oil in there and worked the seat belt release a few times until the squeak stopped. - problem solved! its caused by the plastic in the buckle rubbing together.

robbie.

·
Registered
406 Posts
lube a drive belt WTF!! if a mech told me to do this i would have to laugh in his face and walk out straight away - you never ever need do this! if a belt is screeching its because its loose!!!!

robbie

·
Registered
151 Posts
This may be a longshot but...when i got my car, the A/C whistled as well. I took it in for a check, and they couldn't find a thing wrong with it. 2 weeks later, when i was cleaning the car, i realized that one of the vents was turned off (passenger side) forcing more air through the other vents. i opened the vent, and voila...no more whistling

·
Registered
45 Posts
The dealer checked all belts and compressor, nothing wrong there. All vents were open and noise is still coming out of the vents, it mainly is in the center vents/console and driver console/vent. The noise comes and goes, but it mainly is heard when I'm @ the red light idling in Drive. When I turn off the A/C the noise goes away.

·
Premium Member
26,392 Posts
I've had the same problem, but it's the fan in general and not just when on A/C. I usually keep my fan on low, and when the radio is off, I can hear that thing "squeeking" at a high pitch and it drives me NUTS! It only seems to happen under 45-50 degrees so far (hey, I'm in MI), but the service dept. says they can't reproduce it. To fix it, I imagine they'd have to take the dash apart, and that can create all kinds of new noises, so I probably will just deal.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Sorry guys know this is off topic a bit.
I didnt need to take the seatbelt harness off, i just got an oil can with a long flexable neck on it and put a few drops on the pivot point and moved it to allow the oil to penetrate, as for the buckle just run the tip of the oil can around the button and work it a few times.

robbie.

·
Registered
264 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 CELLPADDING=0 CELLSPACING=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD COLSPAN=2><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD> </TD><TD><FONT SIZE=-1>
On 2002-02-20 08:06, BWN 7 wrote:
I've had the same problem, but it's the fan in general and not just when on A/C. I usually keep my fan on low, and when the radio is off, I can hear that thing "squeeking" at a high pitch and it drives me NUTS! It only seems to happen under 45-50 degrees so far (hey, I'm in MI), but the service dept. says they can't reproduce it. To fix it, I imagine they'd have to take the dash apart, and that can create all kinds of new noises, so I probably will just deal.
</FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD COLSPAN=2><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

WOW!!! I have the same problem! i posted this question a couple of months back, but no one had the same problem. Yeah, the sound is unnoticeable when the music is turned up. but if you want peace and quiet, the noise will make you want to drive off of a cliff.

I took it in to lexus a couple of months back. they acknoledged the noise, but said that they tested it against other IS's and it's normal. But the noise has progressively gotten worse. I've gotten loaner IS's also, and this noise is not "normal".

I plan on going back to the dealer and forcing them to fix it....or give me a new car. this is totally unacceptable. i expect the noise to get worse as time goes by. i am also worried that they'll have to dismantly the dash to get to the source...but at this point i don't care.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I also have the same problem. I'm gonna go to the dealer either this weekend or the next. It also drives me insane listening to that sound. It wasn't there before when the car was newer.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I see that my post got quite a few replys and this can only mean there is somet type of defect with the IS300's. I took in my car 3 times already and they still can't seems to find a problem. I open up my hood to see if I can hear the noise from the engine but I can't. It sure sounds like it is coming from the engine somewhere when I am in the drivers seat. It is coming from the left side of the front of the car somewhere. I just don't know what to do

·
Registered
264 Posts
i took my car to the dealer today and we found that the sound is coming from the blower motor. if you put your head under the glove compartment and listen, you'll hear the noise. they are going to replace the blower motor. hopefully that will fix the problem, but i'm worried that all is300's are like this. i went to another is300 and listened under the glove compartment, and i heard the same noise...but not as loud.

if this sound is in most is300s, i think that's totally unacceptable. does anyone else notice a sound coming from the blower motor? Has anyone gotten the blower motor replaced to fix this problem?

<TABLE BORDER=0 CELLPADDING=0 CELLSPACING=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD COLSPAN=2><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD> </TD><TD><FONT SIZE=-1>
On 2002-02-20 14:47, louiee_g wrote:
<!-- BBCode Quote Start --><TABLE BORDER=0 CELLPADDING=0 CELLSPACING=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD COLSPAN=2><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD>&nbsp;</TD><TD><FONT SIZE=-1>
On 2002-02-20 08:06, BWN 7 wrote:
I've had the same problem, but it's the fan in general and not just when on A/C. I usually keep my fan on low, and when the radio is off, I can hear that thing &quot;squeeking&quot; at a high pitch and it drives me NUTS! It only seems to happen under 45-50 degrees so far (hey, I'm in MI), but the service dept. says they can't reproduce it. To fix it, I imagine they'd have to take the dash apart, and that can create all kinds of new noises, so I probably will just deal.
</FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD COLSPAN=2><HR></TD></TR></TABLE><!-- BBCode Quote End -->

WOW!!! I have the same problem! i posted this question a couple of months back, but no one had the same problem. Yeah, the sound is unnoticeable when the music is turned up. but if you want peace and quiet, the noise will make you want to drive off of a cliff.

I took it in to lexus a couple of months back. they acknoledged the noise, but said that they tested it against other IS's and it's normal. But the noise has progressively gotten worse. I've gotten loaner IS's also, and this noise is not &quot;normal&quot;.

I plan on going back to the dealer and forcing them to fix it....or give me a new car. this is totally unacceptable. i expect the noise to get worse as time goes by. i am also worried that they'll have to dismantly the dash to get to the source...but at this point i don't care.
</FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD COLSPAN=2><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

·
$lores amongst us!
10,675 Posts
My AC is making a noise, but it sounds like it is coming from under the passenger seat. There is a vent under there and it sounds like a fan is loose or something and IT IS DRIVING ME CRAZY.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
I had the same issue...sounds coming from the driver side (which is where the A/C condenser is). I took it into the dealership when I was still under comprehensive warranty and they said they couldn't find the noise, however they did change the blower motor/fan for me.

After the swap, the blower/fan made MORE noise and the whistle from the driver side area is still there! The blower noise you can't hear unless you set the fan speed at low, then crank it up to high. It's a high pitched wind up noise which then goes away once the fan has hit full RPMs.

This noise is DIFFERENT than the whistle that's coming from the driver side.
Now that's it summer, I'm hearing the noise again. I'll call Lexus since i"m still covered under ECP and hopefully they can take a look at it without charging me...the bastards.

Through searches, the best answer I could find was that it was the a/c condenser which is located driver side...however, never found anyone that came across a solution.

·
Premium Member
27,022 Posts
B2flash said:
I don't know if your IS3000 does this as well but mine makes a whistling noise when the A/C is ON. When the blower is on, the noise is not there, only when the A/C light is on. The dealer can not find the problem but the noise is annoying. It is coming from the drivers side. Oh, and it is the A/C vents. I've tested that already. Anyone have any suggestions or the same thing happen to them?
I hear a slight whistling noise which sounds like it's coming from the driver's side vent and also seems to come on at the same times that you mentioned. I just sorta ignored it since it's not really loud and you need to actually concentrate to hear it. But if people are saying it's gonna get louder... then I'll also be interested in a solution.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts