Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

I just wanted to send a little caution in the wind concerning our air bag system in our IS. I was in a prett bad accident in my IS where some lady in a SUV ran a stop sign and broadsided me. causing the whole right side of the car from the A pillar to the rear bumper to be pushed inside the cabin almost 4 inches. The car then struck a center island head on causing 2 inch tears in the front rims and cracked the front bumper in 2 places. Neither the front nor the side bags deployed in either of these devasting hits to the car. Over $16,000 in total damage and the only thing the Lexus investigators could tell me was "The impacts were not hard enough for the bags to go off". What a crock of shit. I guess I needed to die for them to go off.

I advise you to go to your nearest Lexus dealers and have them check your airbag system to insure it is in good working order. Don't let what happened to me or my pride and joy happen to you or your ride.

Thanks for listening
DH in Boston

·
Registered
960 Posts
donniehof said:
Hello Everyone,

I just wanted to send a little caution in the wind concerning our air bag system in our IS. I was in a prett bad accident in my IS where some lady in a SUV ran a stop sign and broadsided me. causing the whole right side of the car from the A pillar to the rear bumper to be pushed inside the cabin almost 4 inches. The car then struck a center island head on causing 2 inch tears in the front rims and cracked the front bumper in 2 places. Neither the front nor the side bags deployed in either of these devasting hits to the car. Over $16,000 in total damage and the only thing the Lexus investigators could tell me was "The impacts were not hard enough for the bags to go off". What a crock of sh*t. I guess I needed to die for them to go off.

I advise you to go to your nearest Lexus dealers and have them check your airbag system to insure it is in good working order. Don't let what happened to me or my pride and joy happen to you or your ride.

Thanks for listening
DH in Boston
It does take a pretty bad hit to set them off. Were you hurt at all? If not perhaps Lexus is correct and they weren't needed. Was anyone sitting on the passenger side when you were hit? Perhaps those side air bags won't go off unless there's someone sitting there? If your car jumped the center island and continued over it, the deceleration rate may have been insufficient to trigger the bags. Just a thought.

Lastly, sorry to hear about this wreck and truly hope you weren't injured.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts