Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a link to an article outlining rampant anti-semitism in Europe. Just something to consider when European countries don't exactly shed tears at the [almost] daily terror attacks in Israel.

Sorry to disrupt all the other newsworthy topics in here. If you'd like, feel free to hit the "back" button on your browser and continue discussing pimples and potential prom dates with the rest of the .net tweens.

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=29841

One of the first steps in Adolf Hitler's anti-Semitic drive in the creation of his Third Reich was instituting a ban on the kosher slaughter of animals.

Today, as a new wave of ugly, and sometimes violent, anti-Semitism sweeps through the European continent, at least five countries have banned kosher food production, and one of them is considering halting all import of kosher meat.

The latest nation to join the movement is Holland, where the move was guised in concern for cruelty to animals.

"They simply don't want foreigners and they don't want Jews," said Rabbi Michael Melchior, former chief rabbi of Norway, another European nation that bans kosher meat production. "I won't say this is the only motivation, but it's certainly no coincidence that one of the first things Nazi Germany forbade was kosher slaughter. I also know that during the original debate on this issue in Norway, where shechitah has been banned since 1930, one of the parliamentarians said straight out, 'If they don't like it, let them go live somewhere else.'"

While animal-rights activists have indeed been at the forefront of the recent efforts to ban kosher slaughter, there is growing concern on the part of people like Melchior, now an Israeli official, that initiatives spreading through Europe are gaining popularity because of deep-seated anti-Semitism manifesting itself in many other ways, from Belgium to Germany to France and Switzerland.

On Saturday, unknown assailants hurled a Molotov cocktail at a synagogue in the Belgian port city of Antwerp, where riots by Arab immigrants began a week ago following the shooting of a 27-year-old Moroccan immigrant. About 30,000 people of Arab origin live in Antwerp. It is also home to a long-established Orthodox Jewish community of about 20,000.

Several weeks ago, Germany announced a decision to stop all arms sales to Israel. This comes at a time when attacks on memorials to Nazi-era victims are on the rise. In at least seven attacks this year, extremists destroyed a memorial plaque at Raben-Steinfeld, vandalized a memorial in Woebbelin and a memorial column in Lutterow, and drew a swastika on the grounds of the Sachsenhausen concentration camp on the Nov. 9 anniversary of Krystalnacht, or the Night of Broken Glass, when Nazis targeted Jewish businesses and synagogues in 1938.

German police are investigating an incident last month where anti-Semitic disruptions occurred at a Berlin ceremony to restore a street name referring to Jews that was erased by Nazi officials in 1938. Hecklers at the event booed, whistled and shouted slogans including "Jews out" and "The Jews crucified Jesus," according to Germany's Central Council of Jews. Paul Spiegel, the group's head, said he was horrified and that the incident "reminds us painfully of the late 1920s," when the Nazis began their rise to power in Germany. The event re-established Juedenstrasse – an old German word for Jews' Street – in the western district of Spandau after years of deliberations by local officials. The name, dating back to the 16th century, recalls Spandau's former Jewish community. Under Nazi rule, the street was renamed for Gottfried Kinkel, a 19th-century poet and art historian who was once imprisoned in Spandau.

Fiona Macaulay, public affairs director of the Board of Deputies of British Jews, says incidents of anti-Semitism have increased 400 percent in Britain since the start of the intifada in the fall of 2000.

A one-day international conference on sanctions and divestment in London last week called for a boycott of Israel "not dissimilar to the campaign which contributed to the end of apartheid in South Africa."

·
Registered
28,808 Posts
Yep....If you've ever been to Europe, its quite surprising actually.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Contrition can only go so far when faced with history and tradition. Isreal doesn't evoke a lot of sympathy in many places.

·
Registered
12,480 Posts
I've been to Europe many times but have spent most of the time in Portugal and let me tell you, this shyte is true. Although in Portugal anti-semitism isn't as much of a problem as prejudice to blacks.

·
Registered
28,808 Posts
MMwakeboard said:
DJPoop said:
Yep....If you've ever been to Europe, its quite surprising actually.
I've been but never knew that alot of Anti-Semetic feelings were still running trampant throughout Europe.
Yup...I saw it a lot in Italy mostly. I expected it in Germany, and although I have heard its pretty pervasive there, I didnt see it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
8 Participants
ImpulseXvX
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing