Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i got the first version of the carbon fiber license plate garnish a couple months back.
and i decided to finally put it on yesterday.
BIG MISTAKE

after covering it in a decent amount of 3m double side tape i put it on.
first i findout my screws with the silver plate holder i have arent long enough to go through. so i say screw it and move aside the chrome cover and just use the plate itself.
now its on and the side of the garnish wont stick dont with 3m no matter how much pressure and for any length of time.
so i try some liquid bond stuff i have and what do you know it wont stick again ahhhhhhh so ive got these like flaps on my trunk now.

i just tore the garnish backoff.

i want to know how anyone else managed to get theres on?

·
my.is Headlight Guru
4,786 Posts
Did you prep the area with the prep pads and adhesion promoter?

That is a critical step, think about how much exhaust residue and road grime is back there...

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i removed all my license plate stuff and completely cleaned every last spec

then prepped it and then used the adhesion promoter

·
my.is Headlight Guru
4,786 Posts
If you want to take some extra time and remove the trunk bar you can put a couple of self tapping screws in it to insure it never moves again:

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
^ good idea, gotta do that one day... when i put mine on one side was off so i kinda pryed it off and tried to realign it well needless to say it didn't work :lol:
but now i gotta figure out how i'm gonna pull of the garnish piece without breaking it? the rest of the piece seems super stuck to the trunk?! :confused:

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
I used the 3m tape and then might putty(from the infomercial) and its been almosta year now and it is still aligned right hehehe..I use to have to change the 3M tape ever few weeks before putting the putty as a backup now its there like it was meant to be...hope that helps.

·
my.is Headlight Guru
4,786 Posts
I used the 3m tape and then might putty(from the infomercial) and its been almosta year now and it is still aligned right hehehe..I use to have to change the 3M tape ever few weeks before putting the putty as a backup now its there like it was meant to be...hope that helps.
Score another one for Billy Mays!

·
SEAHAWKS!!
10,782 Posts
^ good idea, gotta do that one day... when i put mine on one side was off so i kinda pryed it off and tried to realign it well needless to say it didn't work :lol:
but now i gotta figure out how i'm gonna pull of the garnish piece without breaking it? the rest of the piece seems super stuck to the trunk?! :confused:
Use a hair dryer, and start from the bottom. Your finger tips might hurt a little, but it worked for me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts