Age Group A B C D E

18-24 0 2 3 2 0
25-29 0 1 3 4 0
30-34 0 0 1 1 0
35-39 0 0 1 1 0
40-44 0 0 0 0 0
45+ 0 0 0 0 0

Willingness to buy at msrp?
A. Willing, cus I got $ coming out of my Wazoo.
B. Willing, but only I have exhausted all negotiation efforts.
C. Maybe, but will consider other cars.
D. Will only buy at below msrp, at __ %
over invoice. Go w/ another car otherwise.
E. Other_______

Draw your own conclusion from the survey, but keep in mind that the margin of error could be high given the small sample size.

I've read from a reliable source (some major magazine article) that a typical dealer gross margin for a car sale should be $500 - $1000. Can someone confirm this? That is the hallmark I go by in each of my prior car purchase, though I anticipate and agree that the IS's margin will be higher, but not the whopping 5K.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
I don't think that we will see the true average margin on this car until we are several months into its life. There are simply too many people that put a premium on being the first to own a new car or they really see value at MSRP. Of course, you will have numerous walkins who think it will be cute for their daughter or son who is just graduating so they add an IS to their LS 430 or LX 470 purchase. There will be precious few of us who actually cut a deal in the 5% over invoice price due to the flood of previously mentioned buyers that will fuel the dealers' temporary reality of selling at MSRP.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts