Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Banned
12,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
im dropping my car at my dealer on thursday, trying to get a new clutch out of them. my clutch has been slipping in 3rd, 4th, and 5th gear. 1st and 2nd gear are fine. i can floor it and take off no problem. as soon as i shift to 3rd+, and give it more than slight gas, it just revs crazy high and i am basically coasting. sucks. im hoping i can blame the cdd for the clutch problem, and get them to replace on warranty. hopefully they come thru. i only have 29000 miles on my clutch, and im not too rough on it, unless at the track.

anyone have similar situation? suggestions?

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
are you using a shorth shifter? if so, remove it before you drop the car off so they cannot point the finger...

·
Banned
12,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Myis300t said:
are you using a shorth shifter? if so, remove it before you drop the car off so they cannot point the finger...

good thinking..thanks tom. could they relate the 2?

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Its lexus... they will def try..lol in reality.. they could say that it caused damage to the tranny. I had the PLP GII, and I noticed that it over extended the tranny shift forks. you could see the indents in the base of the shifter because there was not limter to stop extended travel.. Which to this day I feel is the reason mystock tranny failed at 4k, when thecar was stock.. they replaced everything tranny clutch pp, flywheel... all of it.. but i put my stock shifter in b4 droppong it off..

·
Banned
12,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
from my clutch symptons, do you think its the clutch disk itself or the throw out bearing?

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
could be the cluthc disk (worn) or the pressure plate fingers being warped. Outside chance that maybe your slave cylinder rod is bent not allowing for full engagment.

·
Banned
12,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
im guessing no way to tell without tearing it all apart? i have an appt, and lexus said they would know in an hour, but they always try to replace everything rather than finding the exact problem and replacing it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Myis300t said:
Its lexus... they will def try..lol in reality.. they could say that it caused damage to the tranny. I had the PLP GII, and I noticed that it over extended the tranny shift forks. you could see the indents in the base of the shifter because there was not limter to stop extended travel.. Which to this day I feel is the reason mystock tranny failed at 4k, when thecar was stock.. they replaced everything tranny clutch pp, flywheel... all of it.. but i put my stock shifter in b4 droppong it off..
Add me to the replaced transmission list. My clutch did not slip though it would shudder the car apart if the temps were below 40 degrees. Diagnosis: excessive mainshaft play.

·
Banned
468 Posts
whats CDD?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Allen0506 said:
Add me to the replaced transmission list. My clutch did not slip though it would shudder the car apart if the temps were below 40 degrees. Diagnosis: excessive mainshaft play.
HEy I have the same problem. Early morning or whenever it's cold.

·
Banned
12,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hopefully they will replace the stock clutch, i am usually good at bs'ing them, and probably know more about the car than they do(the guy last time was clueless). i have my stock tranny, and stock clutch still in. car is driveable, but i can only feather the gas before revs go way up and the car doesnt go anywhere. i am planning on swapping for the r154 with a twin plate clutch setup, but i figure i can buy myself time by trying to have lexus replace the present clutch. i figure it cant hurt if i try to get them to cover to clutch. i already bought a brand new rps street clutch for under 300 bucks, so i have that on hand just in case lexus wont cover under warranty. so either way i will be back on the road in a couple weeks at max. i just would rather have the parts and labor done for me rather than spending the time/effort to do it myself.

from talkign to people, i have narrowed it down 3 things: worn clutch disk, throw out bearing, or slight chance of bent slave cylinder rod. i personally think from the feel its just the clutch disk, as i know ive been rough with it at the track and on the road.

·
Registered
47 Posts
xshaix said:
HEy I have the same problem. Early morning or whenever it's cold.
I'd suggest taking it in when you know it'll be cold in the morning. Play up to the "I bought a Lexus b/c you claim to offer exceptional service on your quality product" b/s and see what they do.

R

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
I too had my transmission replaced very recently for worn syncro in
4th gear. They put in Toyota/Lexus spec tranny oil which makes the
new tranny very notchy on colder days. I've read in order to resolve
this it should be replaced by synthetic oil. (ie RoyalPurple,etc).

I find that the last thing you want to do is be rude to the service
people... I approached the whole transmission problem with a friendly
attitude, and they took care of me very well.

Good luck, post the outcome!

j

·
Registered
16 Posts
Sounds like you have a worn clutch friction plate. This is regarded as a wear and tear item (Like brake pads.) I highly doubt that you would have any luck, unless it broke or shattered due to a manufacturing defect.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I had a clutch replaced at 8K miles for the commonshuddering problem. I was nice to the service manager, Kathy, who is no longer at the dealership and they replaced the clutch assembly FOC (free of charge) I sold the car with 28K on it and don't know the condition of the clutch at present.

29K is awfully early for a properly driven clutch to wear out IMHO.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I don't deal with the service people anymore, I've gone through all the red tape and I had to wait for an engineer to come in before they would replace my transmission. My service writer is awesome but when I get frustrated when she can't get something done I go to the next in command and let them have it. I had to go in twice for the clutch chirp, 3 times for the a/c panel, and on my first time in for the tranny noise/clutch noise returning the head mechanic said he had done all that he was allowed to do. That's when I went straight to the engineer.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts