Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible for me to put in some aftermarket speakers on the stock head unit/amp? I have some Eclipse audio 6x9s laying around, and everything I read gives mixed answers on if I can or not.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will the wire right up and what size are they? Some sources are telling me they are 6.5's, the other sites are saying they are 6x9s. I've been told they will wire right up, and then someone else told me the way the factory ones are wired up, you actually have two separate connectors per speaker, one for the highs, the other for the lows.

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
Yes...stock...each speaker has 2 pairs wires..a high Hz level and Low Hz level. Your speakers will suffer if you only hook up one pair as stated. Stock speakers are surprisingly pretty good compared to some aftermarket..even better than some aftermarket. Unless you can find a speaker that takes high/low inputs...I would suggest leave them alone or go with aftermarket amp and power them up right with a single pair.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes...stock...each speaker has 2 pairs wires..a high Hz level and Low Hz level. Your speakers will suffer if you only hook up one pair as stated. Stock speakers are surprisingly pretty good compared to some aftermarket..even better than some aftermarket. Unless you can find a speaker that takes high/low inputs...I would suggest leave them alone or go with aftermarket amp and power them up right with a single pair.
Damn, that sucks. Theres no way around tha witout going to an aftermarket amp or head unit? My stock speakers sound pretty blown. :( Hopefully my 6.5s will fit in that I have in th front.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
they are 6x9s with a 3in i believe stacked on top of them.
http://www.advancebay.com/eBay/DSC07376.jpg
also there not a traditional mounted 6x9 you will need adapters.
http://i2.sqi.sh/s_1/2eL/p1000835.jpg
contact italynstylion for the spacers he makes nice ones for a reasonable price.
also any speaker is better than the blown speaker. if it was me i would hook the speaker up to the stock "sub" channels so you dont loose bass.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
oh and last thing if your maintaining stock components ie stereo and amp then go with the infinity 6x9s and sell yours they will play the most like the factory speaker as far as loudness is concerned.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I also have a 12 inch Alpine sub in the truck to help with the bass. I'll have to look into those adapters. Not really looking to spend a lot of money on this setup. In the near future I'll get a new double dim head unit/amp. I just got the car 3 days ago and just doing cheap stuff now using what I have laying around. :eek:

·
Registered
441 Posts
Damn, that sucks. Theres no way around tha witout going to an aftermarket amp or head unit? My stock speakers sound pretty blown. :( Hopefully my 6.5s will fit in that I have in th front.
Ben, the search button PWNS you. Sheesh. Or you could've just texted me like you did, only too late LOL

1 - 9 of 9 Posts