Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed that they have pictures on their site for a prototype strut brace and intake (which is supposed to bring hp up to 225):

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The intake kit makes it easier for the engine to breathe (but you might hear more noise from the engine compartment).

A supercharger or turbo is a whole level of modification beyond a simple intake kit.
There is no reason why you can't spend a little to get a less restrictive intake and a few more HP. Going to forced induction is going to cost ALOT more and have many more technical hurdles to overcome.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I sent them an e-mail a while ago questioning some of their parts (the tower brace and coilover suspension options) with respect to proce and availability. I will post to this thread if I hear anything.

Terry

·
Registered
117 Posts
The intake will not be ready for a month or so. The rep from RM said it would run about $350. The exhaust will be rear section only, not cat back due to the resonator. I ordered the RM grille which is similar to the TRD one but pre-painted.

Mark

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
Yamaot, you don't NEED an exhaust to go w/ an intake, but the more free flow you get (to a certain point) the easier it is for the engine to breathe, resulting in more power.

·
Founder
8,708 Posts
Originally posted by HIBBoyScott:
Yamaot, you don't NEED an exhaust to go w/ an intake, but the more free flow you get (to a certain point) the easier it is for the engine to breathe, resulting in more power.
...Resulting in more upper rpm range horsepower, sometimes at a sacrifice of low rpm torque.

------------------
Tony
'01 Spectra Blue

·
Registered
272 Posts
Originally posted by mryuen:
...The rep from RM said it would run about $350. The exhaust will be rear section only, not cat back due to the resonator...
Mark
350+ for the intake huh? Not bad I guess.

I know a little bit about cars but not too much re: modifying them. My major concern is will the intake make the car loud.

I watched my friend modify his IROC, putting on a flowmaster, a chip, something with the alluminum heads, the intake, etc. When he was done the car was very fast and easy to handle but was very loud.

I guess I should start another topic asking what modifications will increase the power but not the noise level of the car.

------------------
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly. *OUTLAW RACING*

·
Registered
178 Posts
Originally posted by IS300Purformance:
Again this might be a dumb question, but do you need a turbo kit or a s/c kit if you're gonna put an intake in?
no you just replace the current intake - which is very small and narrow... and only about 1 ft wide.. the way this mod intake is placed, may in fact get in the way of installing a turbo or s/c - since as far as I can tell, the only place for one is immediately left of the engine and that's were he currently has a rather large intake pipe...

but the photo may be misleading...

·
Registered
571 Posts
Did RM mention anything about a chip/ or reprogramming the chip to go with the Intake?
It makes a whole lot of difference when they change ECU settings to match your intake. (e.g. Dinan offeres a chip/air intake package that guarantees 15-20 hp on the 3-series...my friend has one...and it is AWESOME!!!!!)

it will not make your car very load...considering Lexus' sound insulation in the cabin is superior to most other cars.

My integra has a AEM cold air intake, and only makes the cool vacuum noise up high in the rpm range. Sounds more cool than bothersome really. The mustanks and crapmaros sound loud as hell because of that cheap flowmaster they put in and they're load to begin with. I don't see the Lexus having the problem.

·
Registered
77 Posts
When will the RM intake come out? About superchargers, are they as much of a hassel to maintain like turbo? or is it just wutevers? im not too familiar with superchargers. i know for turbo, it has a short life if not maintained properly and that you have to go to great lengths to maintain it. IE, turbo timer, cool off period, just to name a few. oh yea wut does a strut brace do?

[This message has been edited by iNtAkE808 (edited September 01, 2000).]

·
Registered
291 Posts
For those who just want to change their filters...

K&N has just released their filter for the IS300!

You have to contact them directly and order them...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Originally posted by Jebzter:
For those who just want to change their filters...

K&N has just released their filter for the IS300!

You have to contact them directly and order them...
Hey I've heard good things about K&N filters, will it give me a hp boost, and is it worth it?

·
Registered
66 Posts
How much would exhaust and intake upgrades cost me total? And how much HP increase will I see by upgrading? Does TRD offer the same for the IS300 yet? And Finally, will it void the warranty on everything in my car?

·
Registered
291 Posts
Sooul Cactus...

K&N alone - very minor difference (probably feel 1-3 horsepower)

W/ combination, probably about 5 maximum.

I'm waiting for others to come out such as Rod Millen's (too expensive).

Initially, I go for bolt-ons first - let the engine breathe, i.e. change intake, exhaust, cat converter, headers...then play around with other parts (i.e., cams, etc.)

Chips are good combo with intake...+15 HP

·
Registered
256 Posts
I remember an article a while back in CarNDriver where they dyno'ed a couple of bimmers with and then without various Mfr's chips (Dinan included) and there was almost no noticable improvement in horsepower or torque.

BTW, isn't Dinan out of the chip business ? I thought I saw an ad in CarNDriver from them wanting to sell the chip mfr side of their company...

Originally posted by vvtipwr:
Did RM mention anything about a chip/ or reprogramming the chip to go with the Intake?
It makes a whole lot of difference when they change ECU settings to match your intake. (e.g. Dinan offeres a chip/air intake package that guarantees 15-20 hp on the 3-series...my friend has one...and it is AWESOME!!!!!)

it will not make your car very load...considering Lexus' sound insulation in the cabin is superior to most other cars.

My integra has a AEM cold air intake, and only makes the cool vacuum noise up high in the rpm range. Sounds more cool than bothersome really. The mustanks and crapmaros sound loud as hell because of that cheap flowmaster they put in and they're load to begin with. I don't see the Lexus having the problem.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts