Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anybody make a aftermarket radio installation kit for the wiring to you factory harness in the car?

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Use the search feature. There is alot of useful info.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
neither one of those companys so a harness that connects to factory radio wiring so you can wire up a aftermarket radio

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
You can't just plug in a harness. It WILL need to be rewired because the amp gets a data signal from the factory headunit. And a headunit replacement will facilitate a change of the rear speakers due to the factory rears having a 2 ohm load.

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
well if you get an aftermarket headunit, you don't need the factory amp.

You need to get new rears speakers

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
I believe you can hook up the highs on the rear speaker only which are 4ohms...but lets have vlad or lisnup chime in

·
Registered
665 Posts
weston22s said:
does anybody make a aftermarket radio installation kit for the wiring to you factory harness in the car?
This is also one thing that I have wondered. Im in the process of looking for a cd/dvd flip screen, and like to do things myself. From what I have read here andother places, I would need to replace the rear speakers aslo? If it make it sound better, Im all for that. Music is very important to me.

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
MUF-DVR-420 said:
This is also one thing that I have wondered. Im in the process of looking for a cd/dvd flip screen, and like to do things myself. From what I have read here andother places, I would need to replace the rear speakers aslo? If it make it sound better, Im all for that. Music is very important to me.

To get the best sound, you want to replace all of your factory speakers.

You can hook up the rear tweeters that are rated at 4ohms but you can't for the mids.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
VP500 said:
To get the best sound, you want to replace all of your factory speakers.

You can hook up the rear tweeters that are rated at 4ohms but you can't for the mids.

Yup, what he said. Your best bet is to replace all the speakers and get a decent amp for them.

·
Registered
253 Posts
it really is straight forward to add an aftermarket HU to the stock amp (without any rear speaker issues.)
see diagram below.

this works for NON Nav IS's,, if you have the stock Nav then you will need to deal with that as im not allowed to say anymore about that..

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
^ that is not a picture of the stock amp is it?...because there are no L- or R-

its FR, FL, RR, RL...and GNDs for the ground..

·
Registered
349 Posts
Fargo, I thought you must have the head unit PCB in order to have an aftermarket unit work with the stock amp.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Brib3 said:
Fargo, I thought you must have the head unit PCB in order to have an aftermarket unit work with the stock amp.
thats one of the ways yes,, but its not the only way, the stock HU can be removed altogether..

·
Useless
5,346 Posts
With this way, you still have serious issues. You will not have have fader capabilities, the factory amps input was balanced and you are eliminating that. The factory radio had volume control built into the hideaway amp and always sent full signal to the amp. Without the ability to control the line voltage going into the amp, distortion(clipping will vary by product, you may take the input circuit out of the amp, you will most likely lose the electronic cross-overs of the original amp(Assuming they are electronic). I am 99% positive that this has been done with very poor results.
I again want to stress that the factory amp is not a amp as most have come to think of an amp. To explain, most think of an amp as one that is a stand alone unit. The factory system IS NOT designed that way, but rather the amp IS part of the radio. Its what is called a hideaway unit. In this perticular case the hideaway unit contains the amplifier section of the factory radio along with other electronics that are controlled by the factory deck via databus. IMHO, for sound purposes it is best to simply get rid of the factory junk and move on. Its all low budget, cheap components from the word go!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts