Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm a noob when it comes to audio. I still have my stock changer and hu in. I wanted to upgrade to a navi system. I want to keep the stock speakers. I've been searching on the boards and internet on great systems for the money. I really don't care for a hd to store songs....but I do need a plug for my ZUNE. I don't have an IPOD....so what do I need to use this? Do I just use the fm tuner? Can I plug a Zune to these systems? I read reports of slowness on the Pioneer z2 with the ipods. The d3 sounds great...but is a bit smaller - 6.1. How about the KVT-617DVD DVD player and KNA-G510 navigation system. I found that on Crutchfield.com. Sounds pretty good. I'd like to have blutooth aswell. So far, here are my options. Please give me a bit of feedback if you've used these systems before....or suggest another.
I just want a nice navi system, bluetooth, plays dvds, cds, mps, wma, etc, 7in display or close, dd or single is fine, no real need for an hd but I don't want to be changing nav dvds all the time, able to use my Zune...not Ipod through. From what I read, Kenwood seems to be a decent fit. Thanks!

Kenwood KVT-617DVD DVD player and KNA-G510 navigation system - 1200

Eclipse AVN 5510 - 779

Pioneer Z2 - 1200

Kenwood DNX7100 - 850

* Anyone use the Pioneer AVIC N4? The 2008 model? Seems nice..

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I'm a noob when it comes to audio. I still have my stock changer and hu in. I wanted to upgrade to a navi system. I want to keep the stock speakers. I've been searching on the boards and internet on great systems for the money. I really don't care for a hd to store songs....but I do need a plug for my ZUNE. I don't have an IPOD....so what do I need to use this? Do I just use the fm tuner? Can I plug a Zune to these systems? I read reports of slowness on the Pioneer z2 with the ipods. The d3 sounds great...but is a bit smaller - 6.1. How about the KVT-617DVD DVD player and KNA-G510 navigation system. I found that on Crutchfield.com. Sounds pretty good. I'd like to have blutooth aswell. So far, here are my options. Please give me a bit of feedback if you've used these systems before....or suggest another.
I just want a nice navi system, bluetooth, plays dvds, cds, mps, wma, etc, 7in display or close, dd or single is fine, no real need for an hd but I don't want to be changing nav dvds all the time, able to use my Zune...not Ipod through. From what I read, Kenwood seems to be a decent fit. Thanks!

Kenwood KVT-617DVD DVD player and KNA-G510 navigation system - 1200

Eclipse AVN 5510 - 779

Pioneer Z2 - 1200

Kenwood DNX7100 - 850

* Anyone use the Pioneer AVIC N4? The 2008 model? Seems nice..
Of the 4 you mentioned, I would go with the AVN5510 or the DNX7100. The Z2 is HD based and old while the other Kenwood will be more of a hassle to install because there are two things to connect (plus it costs more!), where as the DNX7100 is an all in one unit. I have an AVN6600 and it works very well.

The Eclipses aren't as flashy in terms of user interface like some of the other units out there, but it gets the job done. However, with the 5510, you will have to swap out the NAV disc if you want to play a DVD movie. Check out the 6610 if you want to watch a movie and leave the NAV disc in. Also, what I like about the DNX7100 is that all the GPS info is on flash memory, no nav disc needed, plus easy for upgrades.

As for the Zune, I don't think stereo integration is available (yet) for them like for the iPods. The best you can probably do is connect the audio out from the Zune to the AUX IN on the aftermarket HU, all the ones you mentioned have AUX IN, and most other ones do too.

EDIT: oops, I thought you were talking about the Pioneer Z1, the Z2 isn't as old, but it is HD and either way, I don't think the HD space justifies the extra cost, especially if you have a separate mp3 player like the Zune.

·
Registered
14,829 Posts
Actually, with regards to the DNX7100 and zune, the DNX7100 will read USB mass storage device (ie USB HDD, thumb drives). So, if the Zune can be read as a USB mass storage device, the DNX7100 should play your MP3's from the zune just like a USB thumb drive.

However, Bluetooth on the Kenwood (like most other units) is an optional module.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts