Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All.

So I've learned a great deal of info here on the forums but I just need some quick clarification.

I have a 2004 IS300 and want to update the audio just a tad bit.

All I want is to ADD an aftermarket head unit and single subwoofer.

If I buy the metra harness, I should be able to just add an aftermarket headunit and then plug and play, all 6 speakers should work, correct?

For adding a subwoofer, I read that I could use a converter and tap into the 6x9s in the back. Would I do this or would I run RCAs to the head units like a normal aftermarket setup? I of course would install new amp for the lone sub.

Any clarifications would help, thanks!

·
Registered
296 Posts
You would use a metra tyto-01 harness and all stock speakers would work with your aftermarket headunit. Your aftermarket headunit should have a sub output. You would run rcas from the headunit to the trunk for the subwoofer.

I have the older style metra tyto-01 harness with the RCAS thats known to be more reliable for sale if you're interested. $40 shipped+paypal fees.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You would use a metra tyto-01 harness and all stock speakers would work with your aftermarket headunit. Your aftermarket headunit should have a sub output. You would run rcas from the headunit to the trunk for the subwoofer.

I have the older style metra tyto-01 harness with the RCAS thats known to be more reliable for sale if you're interested. $40 shipped+paypal fees.
Kevin perfect, this is what I needed to know.

1. Ill let you know as right now Im having another serious problem to take care of first
2. Can you explain the "older style" more reliable tyto-01 harness? Ive not read about that...

·
Registered
23 Posts
You can actually bypass the stock amp easily. There are connectors atop the two rear shock towers and they have standard Toyota wiring colors. You can just tap into those and connect directly to your rear speakers. The front speaker wires are also Toyota colored and are each side kick panel. Just tap into them there and you are good to go. You will lose the voice navigation if you do this though, but if you are a little crafty with a small speaker and small amp from Parts Express, you can regain that function.

Also, at the rear plugs, you can use the high-level input to the factory sub and keep that working as well.

I have a SportCross, so I cannot confirm the sedan has the same plugs in the back, but the front half of the car is identical.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Kevin perfect, this is what I needed to know.

1. Ill let you know as right now Im having another serious problem to take care of first
2. Can you explain the "older style" more reliable tyto-01 harness? Ive not read about that...
The newer tyto-01 has wires that you splice in to your aftermarket radio harness. The older one has 4 rca- two for front and two for rear that you just plug into your headunit. A lot of people have had issues with the newer tyto-01. I've had the older one in a 2001 and later my 2002 without any issues. I would definitely recommend using a metra or beatsonic harness over bypassing the stock amp.

·
Registered
5 Posts

Do you still have that older style metra tyto-01 harness for sale?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts