Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
V8 Sportcross
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lets talk about hoods for a moment. I have a bit of an issue.

I am in the need of a hood with roughly 2" of extra clearance. A cowl that starts up from the front 1/3 of the hood would probably work well.

Ideally, I'd like to not kill the flow of the factory hood. In otherwords, I'd really like to keep it looking stock. :)

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

·
Banned
1,414 Posts
Doooo Ittttt! haha

Reactions: Brad Bedell

·
Premium Member
12,268 Posts
Doooo Ittttt! haha

^
You're obviously an idiot and have no clue why he's asking for advice. Do some research first.

Brad, I don't think there is an off the shelf item like that.

·
V8 Sportcross
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks for the replies. That guy got tons of neg rep in a hurry. LOL

I'm afraid there isn't anything available. I'm not really liking any of my choices, but in the name of progress I'll forge on.

I was thinking a stock profile fiberglass or CF hood and adding either of these two below to the hood would do the trick. Ideally, I'd like to completely enclose the hood so that it could resemble OEM as much as possible.

http://i19.ebayimg.com/01/i/08/69/93/e3_1.JPG
http://i18.ebayimg.com/02/i/08/4d/9e/75_1.JPG

Alternately, I could build up a clay bubble to match what I need, glass over the top and blend it. Regardless, it all starts with a glass or CF hood. Anyone close to Dallas TX want to part with one? :)

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Are you looking to improve cooling or make room for something? You could try building the 'hump' in the hood up with florist foam (or anyother high desnsity foam), then fill and smooth the foam after it's the desired shape, and then use it as a plug to glass the piece you want.

·
Maxed out Rep Club Member
14,279 Posts
Just cut a hole in the hood and let it hang out. :lol:

·
Premium Member
6,141 Posts
For those that don't know, Brad has swapped a V8 in his SportCross, very cleanly I might add.

Read his prior threads/posts.

·
Premium Member
12,268 Posts
Nice, I knew it was to make room for a blower :)

What gains are you expecting? GL with the new project.

Reactions: Squareback

·
V8 Sportcross
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nice, I knew it was to make room for a blower :)

What gains are you expecting? GL with the new project.

Around an extra 100hp/TQ at the wheels. Hopefully, it'll be around 370-380 wheel at that point. I'm figuring 110-112mph traps for the quarter.

·
Premium Member
6,141 Posts
Too bad the 4Runner/Tacoma hood scoops are not functional, you could keep it in the family.

How much room do you need?, If it is not too much, maybe you could you do some hood spacers and keep it Q ship.

·
V8 Sportcross
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Too bad the 4Runner/Tacoma hood scoops are not functional, you could keep it in the family.

How much room do you need?, If it is not too much, maybe you could you do some hood spacers and keep it Q ship.
See the first post ya newb. :poke:

Based on my late night measurements, I need just at 1.75" from about mid hood to the back. To be safe, I'd do 2-2.25.

I'm actually thinking about trimming the stock hood. Bending the metal up and then adding in the metal to give it a bit of a turbo bubble if you will. But when it comes to sheet metal working, I'll probably be in it for 25-30 hours and still not be quite happy with it. But we'll see.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
I think i've seen a GGP on these boards with that hood there.. I think his name is "Destron" or something similar. Maybe he can chime in on any further clearance he has had.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Can't wait to see the results of this it'll be hot!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts