671 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Well,

Here's an update:

SPPC CCFL Headlights were taken out.
Completely soaked (standing water) in the ballast boxes.
Return and refund issued.
Ballasts pulled and dried. (Luckily they still worked!)

Decided to try the Spec D Tuning (Black) Turning and DRL White & Amber LED w/ HID Projector units.

Access the link below to view the new look. Hope to have more pics soon.
https://app.box.com/s/ww3veroakfwzqc8wwajh8c4xede9rfae
https://app.box.com/s/ao9vdvld04xr1uojpy598e8p3pup16j7

All in all, super satisfied and would recommend these over the SPPC brand. Much better seal around the lenses, add a modern technology look to the car, and restored my overall love for this car again.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Well,

Here's an update:

SPPC CCFL Headlights were taken out.
Completely soaked (standing water) in the ballast boxes.
Return and refund issued.
Ballasts pulled and dried. (Luckily they still worked!)

Decided to try the Spec D Tuning (Black) Turning and DRL White & Amber LED w/ HID Projector units.

Access the link below to view the new look. Hope to have more pics soon.
https://app.box.com/s/ww3veroakfwzqc8wwajh8c4xede9rfae
https://app.box.com/s/ao9vdvld04xr1uojpy598e8p3pup16j7

All in all, super satisfied and would recommend these over the SPPC brand. Much better seal around the lenses, add a modern technology look to the car, and restored my overall love for this car again.
These are kind of rubbing off on me because of the LED strip but I'm still iffy on the projector part. Good find btw!!

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Hate 'em / Love 'em - The choice is yours!

These are kind of rubbing off on me because of the LED strip but I'm still iffy on the projector part. Good find btw!!
Some people hate them, others love them.

I have to say, I have always been skeptical, but I wanted to post some honest experiences on what is (currently) out in the marketplace.

The LED's certainly add the new modern look. The projectors are really what I purchased the lights for.

I can honestly say, after installing them - I got to stand back and just admire. I just fell in love with the car all over again. Even the GF said they looked way better in person.

I never mentioned, but I did end up sanding down the OEM sport design lamps but even still - they just lost all the sheen and glossy appearance and are just outright old now. I think the biggest reason I held onto the stock units so long is: I love the inner DRL that sort of have the top cut of the circle cut off. Just so signature for our year toyotas.

However, even after that being said, I instantly fell in love with the LED DRLs on the new pair. I took a pic next to my father's NX200T for a little comparison.

My IS is now looking more modern than ever and the light array output was not sacrificed terribly; if at all.

My Amazon review is below:
(GForceUSA -Vendor- had them at the best price at $276.00USD and has a good customer support team)

https://www.amazon.com/Lexus-Glossy-Projector-Headlights-Signal/dp/B01L83YXDW/ref=cm_rdp_product

·
Registered
57 Posts
So following up on the post,

The night time output on the SPPC's are actually much better than expected.
-Not sure if this was more a result of replacing the HID Bulbs or new headlight housings or a combination of both, but the HID lights are brighter than I have seen in years.

For the not so good:
Literally after 10 minutes of running the HALOS the other day, the left HALO will start to flicker on the passenger side and goes out.
- Contacted SPPC and they believe it is the HALO Ballast. Go figure... They are sending me a new HALO Ballast at no charge, but still, having to remove the front bumper, pull out the headlight, and swap ballasts was not something I wanted to do for a 3rd time now.

While I have been incredibly busy lately, I will try and add more (better) photos once I have a little more time on my hands. Overhauling the suspension this week.

As you can see, there is still more manual level adjustments that need to be done.

All in all, it is difficult to say if the quality / quantity of light during night-time is better or the same for two reasons:
1.) I really dont drive much during the night time or after dusk
2.) The OEM Headlamps were so hazed and I was using the original stock HID Bulbs (Couldn't believe they lasted for 12 years!)

On a side note* - The GF did say (while she was in the car) the new headlight setup was notably brighter... Or in her words "Incredibly Brighter".
A blurry pic, but you can definitely tell how much brighter it is than stock halogen. Very nice!

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Good morning Everyone,

Just wanted to provide another update.

Headlights still show 0 signs of moisture build-up (so far)

Additionally, I was able to take some new photos with the DRL and LEDs on.
- They really look much more incredible in person as the pictures do not to justice, but again - its all about personal preference.

Hope you all enjoy the added photos. Access link below:
https://app.box.com/s/mab5njx78rqtrvfcvr7pnhhf6ecchlxj

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
New photo below

new photo below.

Still holding strong. Projectors are wonderful. TBH only difficulty is having them leveled out before they are installed. As once they are installed, the driver's side adjustment is extremely difficult (if not impossible) to access once they headlights are fully seated and tightened down - passenger side is easily accessible.

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
Only issue with non-OEM headlights is that either ballasts, HIDs, bulbs, or LEDS that that come with do not last so long.

I would share a picture of the Ebay lights my IS300 came with to show, but eventually it will start flickering everywhere and be poor quality. My IS300 came with the ones in the link below. Not sure if all I need to do is replace LED bulbs for where mine are out,or if it's a sealed LED unit of some-kind.
2001-2005 LEXUS IS IS300 PROJECTOR HEADLIGHTS CCFL HALO w/ LED | eBay

Yes, if you would like to retrofit, then either are good platforms to work on.

Btw, the image in post #29 looks really good!

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Only issue with non-OEM headlights is that either ballasts, HIDs, bulbs, or LEDS that that come with do not last so long.

I would share a picture of the Ebay lights my IS300 came with to show, but eventually it will start flickering everywhere and be poor quality. My IS300 came with the ones in the link below. Not sure if all I need to do is replace LED bulbs for where mine are out,or if it's a sealed LED unit of some-kind.
2001-2005 LEXUS IS IS300 PROJECTOR HEADLIGHTS CCFL HALO w/ LED | eBay

Yes, if you would like to retrofit, then either are good platforms to work on.

Btw, the image in post #29 looks really good!
Thanks Goopi!! :D

·
Registered
478 Posts
It's worth it to do a retrofit.

https://goo.gl/photos/aKJzrDyZ7TjE9tWS9

Please let me know if you're unable to view the link

How do you do this please P.M. me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Best thing I did was install some bixenon projectors from TheRetroFitSource. Talk to them, they will guide you thru the basics. You already have the best ballasts available in the IS - the denso. It's just a matter of heating up the headlights and separating the clear lens, then gutting the stock HID reflector. You have to open up the back of the reflector bowl to fit the tail of the projector thru it using a Dremel. Then align the beams, tighten up the nut, and bake the lens back on. I really simplified the steps of it, but it's not difficult at all. Huuuuge increase in light! So good, my FJ cruiser got some bixenon morimoto!

·
Registered
68 Posts
So for those with Spec D headlights.. does the auto level thing still work with aftermarket headlights?.. I really like that feature on my car..

·
Mr. Roo
9,286 Posts
So for those with Spec D headlights.. does the auto level thing still work with aftermarket headlights?.. I really like that feature on my car..
I believe that all of the aftermarket headlights retain auto leveling, as long as you swap over the motor. None of them come with motors. Though, double check by looking at the back of the headlight in the seller's pics before buying.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I like the aftermarket lights that I put on my car. They don't have provisions for the auto-leveling, but they are easily adjusted up or down with a bolt. The light spread is pretty good and I like the halos and led bar. They were from ebay.

Attachments

·
Mr. Roo
9,286 Posts
I like the aftermarket lights that I put on my car. They don't have provisions for the auto-leveling, but they are easily adjusted up or down with a bolt. The light spread is pretty good and I like the halos and led bar. They were from ebay.
I checked those lights on Ebay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fits-01-05-Lexus-Altzza-IS300-Black-Bezel-Halo-Projector-DRL-LED-Headlights-Pair/172969560032?hash=item2845ca07e0:g:6KoAAOSw1QpZ~B0K&vxp=mtr

According to this picture of the back of the head light:

that black twisty plug thing under the "OFF->" sticker (on the bottom left picture) is where the motor goes. You open the bottom of the head light ballast cover, and before putting the ballast in, you can remove that piece and insert the levelling motor.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I checked those lights on Ebay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fits-01-05-Lexus-Altzza-IS300-Black-Bezel-Halo-Projector-DRL-LED-Headlights-Pair/172969560032?hash=item2845ca07e0:g:6KoAAOSw1QpZ~B0K&vxp=mtr

According to this picture of the back of the head light:

that black twisty plug thing under the "OFF->" sticker (on the bottom left picture) is where the motor goes. You open the bottom of the head light ballast cover, and before putting the ballast in, you can remove that piece and insert the levelling motor.
For some reason I couldn't figure it out so I just left the auto level motors plugged in but hidden away so i don't get the dash warning light. I just manually adjusted the lights and they work great.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts