Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm really bad at anything electrical so any help would be appreciated.

I want to add a aftermarket subwoofer in the trunk of my Lexus IS200 (1999), but I really wanna keep the origenal sterio and speaker system, since i think it sounds great, and i don't wanna speand more money than i need to. How could i go about wireing it up? It has a factory amp, so could i maybe take a signal from there and run it into my aftermarket amp for the sub? Or can i take a signal directly from the stock sterio? If yes, how do i know where to run the new wire?
Any and all help is really appreciated!

·
4,648 Posts
Most aftermarket sub setups. People run 4 ohm. You can get a 4 ohm feed off the smaller speaker in the rear deck component set. If you go 2 ohm, you can use the larger speaker feed.

Just remember that ether feed is a high output.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The rear speakers are a set of 2, 2 way speakers if I'm not wrong. How do I know if the cable I'll get the high output from is 2 or 4 ohm? Because I can only see 2 cables going into each speaker. A ground and a red wire.

·
4,648 Posts
The rear speakers are a set of 2, 2 way speakers if I'm not wrong. How do I know if the cable I'll get the high output from is 2 or 4 ohm? Because I can only see 2 cables going into each speaker. A ground and a red wire.
The 2 ohm and 4 ohm is a know fact. Been talked about and measured tons of times on many forums. Also I am going off the USDM market on a IS300. Ours all have 4 wires. If yours only has 2 wires. I do not know the Ohm's and you would have a different harness and amp the any other IS platform ever seen. If it is all factory and all in place.

·
Mr. Roo
10,244 Posts
I forget what it's called, but I remember back in the day when I researched it, there was a way to do some sort of RCA tap or conversion straight off the rear speaker wires so that you could feed a sub (with its own separate power amplification). I didn't end up going that route, though I probably should have lol.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I forget what it's called, but I remember back in the day when I researched it, there was a way to do some sort of RCA tap or conversion straight off the rear speaker wires so that you could feed a sub (with its own separate power amplification). I didn't end up going that route, though I probably should have lol.
A Line out converter is what Tobias is referring to use. I used one back in the day on my wife’s ‘99 RX300.

I remember taping the wires at the factory amp to run the RCAs and the rest was a regular aftermarket amp install.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts