Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My factory head unit died and i am looking to get a new aftermarket one. I searched for a while, but could not find the answers I was looking for. I would like to know if I can just get an aftermarket head unit and keep the factory amp and speakers. If so, what is the best wiring harness and dash kit to use?

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
waldog said:
My factory head unit died and i am looking to get a new aftermarket one. I searched for a while, but could not find the answers I was looking for. I would like to know if I can just get an aftermarket head unit and keep the factory amp and speakers. If so, what is the best wiring harness and dash kit to use?
I'm afraid it will be very very hard or impossible to get an aftermarket headunit to work with the factory amp. The factory headunit controls many features of the factory amp, the most important one, volume control, or gain. Without the factory headunit, you will not be able to control the gain of the factory amp.

I have thought of this issue myself, and I figured there might be a way to trick the factory amp to always have the gain all the way up, that way you'll be able to control the volume with an aftermarket headunit, but I don't know if this is possible.

If you want to keep the factory amp and factory speakers, your best bet is to just to get another factory head unit.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
drinkmalk said:
waldog said:
I'm afraid it will be very very hard or impossible to get an aftermarket headunit to work with the factory amp. The factory headunit controls many features of the factory amp, the most important one, volume control, or gain. Without the factory headunit, you will not be able to control the gain of the factory amp.

I have thought of this issue myself, and I figured there might be a way to trick the factory amp to always have the gain all the way up, that way you'll be able to control the volume with an aftermarket headunit, but I don't know if this is possible.

If you want to keep the factory amp and factory speakers, your best bet is to just to get another factory head unit.
so, if i want an aftermarket head unit then i will need to buy a new amp and speakers as well?

·
8,827 Posts
You may be able to keep the front speakers.
The rears, however, do need to be replaced.
Obviously, the amp has to go. It is not that powerful anyway.

·
8,827 Posts
jfs1179 said:
Why do you have to replace the rear speakers?
1) There are 2 actual speakers with 2 sets of wires for each channel.
2) The crossover is built into the factory amp, so if the amp goes, so does the crossover.
3) The bass driver of the rear speakers is 2ohm and the mid/tweeter is 4 ohm.
4) Aftermarket speakers provide better quality sound
5) It is not worth it to mess around with crossovers to get factory speakers working only to find disappointment in the achieved quality.

·
Registered
824 Posts
I am in the same boat. I can get the Sony CDX-MP70 from a friend for $100. I have never installed a headunit in a car so I am a complete idiot here. I have read posts and searched so I am hoping to clear some things.

Kit Options:
JDM (?) - Is there a JDM kit that I can use that will allow for a 1 din (think that is the term for the head unit being the standard aftermarket size...not a double like the factory) head unit? I DO have heated seats and a manual...I don't want to relocate the heated seats or another buttons?

Scosche - How does the plastic match the factory plastic? Any other pros/cons of the kit? Pictures of it installed?

Metra - How does the plastic match the factory plastic? Any other pros/cons of the kit? Pictures of it installed?

Wiring Harness Options:
What is the best harness option here (I realize there will need to be some splicing, not cutting, of the factory wires...which wires exactly?). Also, is it true that I can't use the factory rear speakers with an aftermarket head unit? That would suck.

Thanks for any and all info....

·
8,827 Posts
Just to answer some of your questions:
JDM kit will fit the best, however if you have heated seats, 2 buttons will need to be relocated. The buttons fit perfectly on the left of the steering wheel, where the blanks are. Noone will be able to tell they are not supposed to be there. I've relocated them on my 2001 as well as 2003 IS. Good news, there is a harness right next to the blanks that has 2 wires already in it that can be used to run less cables - ground and illumination.

If you search for the names of the other kits, you will find their reviews. Personally, I do not like the aftermarket ones.

To get around the double din with JDM, you can either buy a blank pocket to fill the spot, or use supplied plastic cover and cut 1/2 of it to cover the opening.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.