Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Guru of Supercharged ISs
8,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Most of you are aware of Aerocatch latches... these things are the best Hood pin latches ever...

Super clean when they are installed properly & ROCK solid, fully paintable.

SO here is my 1st try ever at installing these in my OG Area-51 CF vented hood :

This Area-51 vented hood has a glassed in hood latch & there's just no way I would run it without pins...

The hood already had holes from a cheap set of Hood pins so i had no choice where to mount these... i just had to cut it so the Aerocatch latches would drop in flush...

Basically you just locate a place to sink them into your hood evenly and symmetrically so they dont look stoopid, & using the Templates...Mark the pattern out & using your favorite cutting tool
( i used a dremel..) start cutting...

I cut well inside the line 1st & then ground the holes out to the line using the
small 3/8-1/2 in drum sanders on he dremel.... i kept test fitting everything often to make sure i didn't cut too much....

the bottom side of the hood cut outs...

I made a simple set of 'gaskets' to help seal the bottom of the latch against the uneven surface of the hood cleanly...

After cutting the top, I had to open up the bottom & drill holes to attach these using the bolts provided....it was kind of a bitch as you need to CAREFULLY drill all the holes in exactly the right spots as marked, so everything lines up around the latch & the bolts drop thru easily and as they are TINY..+ you need to open up the holes on the under side to be able to get in there with a tool to hold the nut as you tighten the allen head....

I preglued the washers to the Underside of the CF hood to make it easy to install 'em...

& bam... all bolts nice & snug & one done one to go.......

SOO clean!!! I love these things....

FIXED!!!

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
excellent tutorial.

just out of curiosity, with all that you do have under the hood, how come you don't go for the locking one?

·
Premium Member
4,978 Posts
Clean install.

·
Guru of Supercharged ISs
8,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
excellent tutorial.

just out of curiosity, with all that you do have under the hood, how come you don't go for the locking one?

See pic # 3.....;)

I bought two sets of these latches, cause I have a Chargespeed vented hood also...& I am running one w/a lock & one without......on each hood...makes it easy to only need one key to unlock either hood no matter which one i happen to run...

+ one locking set & one open is considerably cheaper than two locking sets...;)

·
Guru of Supercharged ISs
8,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've always loved these pins. Could they be painted over? If i ever do get a CF hood, i would like to paint the sides body color (which is where the pins would be).

I am painting this hood that way also so these will get painted as well...

some day...

·
Registered
633 Posts
how did u line up the pins under under the hood with the latches to drill out

·
Guru of Supercharged ISs
8,744 Posts

·
Registered
880 Posts
Damn.... yes i do i just need to reset them... i had some issues with albums on photobucket.... let me dig around &i can update this again.

Apologies guys...
that'd be great, i have 2 extra CF hoods that i was going to test these pins on. having a DIY never hurts to read up on :)

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Can't see the pics anymore!

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Edgy, I also have a discontinued Area51 vented fiberglass hood that's cracking near the front (unnoticeable from outside) and needs to be fixed. I'm going to get rid of it for like $50 if possible.

Can you please send me those pictures or have them reposted? I want to see if these look way better than the Sparcos I currently use.

·
Registered
5,691 Posts
Search aerocatch and you will find another DIY and pics of other members cars with them installed.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Does anybody know if the black pieces that can be seen from the outside are plastic or metal? Would it be possible to paint them to match the car?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts