Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well a friend is painting my kit next week and he's going to help me with the install. He works at a body shop as a prepper and painter. BUT are there any tips out there with mounting the kit properly? like the sides and the rear lip? There are no holes in the Vertex rear lip. I don't want to use tape only. Is there a way to drill and mount it?

what is the best tape to use to aid in mounting the sides and rear? any info would be great.

Thanks in advance

·
Banned
12,375 Posts
test fit before paint. do it twice. the better the fit bfore, the better it looks after.

make sure you use the ALL WEATHER 3M tape. its stickier and holds up in the long run. and make sure you apply pressure to the sides to eliminate any gaps and keep everything tight while it sets.

·
Registered
7,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
should i clean with mineral spirits or something else prior to mounting?

and how do you take off the aluminum door sill plates so I can attach my side skirts? do they just pop off?

·
Registered
284 Posts
You shouldn't need to remove those sill plates, sides shouldn't come up that high? Don't use bare hands when mounting/test fitting, as they leave oil and dirt you dont notice until your paint starts fish eying. If you do, clean the whole kit with some wax and grease remover (the best stuff can usually be found at most paint supply shops). Your friend probably knows all this anyway... Hope everything turns out good.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
What you want is the 3M Automotive Acrylic Attachment Tape, AND 3M Adhesion Promoter. NAPA out in Kearny Mesa (behind 99 Ranch) has that stuff in stock, BTW. I would prep the surface by giving it a Dawn wash to strip off any wax and go over it again with iso alcohol. As mentioned above test fit the pieces then mark the placement with either blue painters tape or a grease pencil (grease pencil can be tricky to remove later so I suggest the blue painters tape). Make sure the surface is warm. If it's a hot day out leave the car (or bumper) out in the sun to warm it up. If not, use a heat gun. Apply the adhesion promoter to the area where the 3M tape will adhere to, you can use the blue tape line as a guide. Pull off the edges of the tape backing from each corner and let them hang outside of the piece where they can be pulled easily. As you mount the piece pull the backing away while applying constant pressure to the piece. Once all the backing is removed go around all mounting areas and apply pressure. If you can clamp the pieces down against the surface then do so. Last, but certainly not least, let the whole thing cure for at least a day or two. If possible, do not drive the car or expose it to excessive vibration during that time. You'll be amazed at how strong that 3M tape is.

I'm looking forward to possibly checking it out at our next San Diego meet;) Good luck.

·
Registered
7,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
wow SDLexus, and everyone else. Thanks for the tips! I'll go to Napa tomorrow to get the adhesives. I test fit the rear lip on the used jdm bumper I got from nigel today and it fits snug! a little gap above the exhaust though but I'll try it again once the bumper is on the car.

So I wont have to drill the ends of the rear lip and screw it to the bumper? Like in the fender well area?

·
Registered
7,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
You shouldn't need to remove those sill plates, sides shouldn't come up that high? Don't use bare hands when mounting/test fitting, as they leave oil and dirt you dont notice until your paint starts fish eying. If you do, clean the whole kit with some wax and grease remover (the best stuff can usually be found at most paint supply shops). Your friend probably knows all this anyway... Hope everything turns out good.
the sides have two lips which lie under the sill plates. they have holes to match up with the pop in plastic rivets. I've already touched all the kit pieces so I'll wash them really well after they're painted? We're sanding and prepping the pieces on Friday.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
Jdm Bumper Ftw Man!!

Reactions: vroomRollLEX

·
Registered
7,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks SD. I picked up the tape and adhesion promoter yesterday at NAPA. $44

1 - 12 of 12 Posts