Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which intake is better? more hp gain / which one is louder? im planning to make a purchase soon and im leaning towards AEM because of their name, AEM is known to make good intakes...any input would help, thanks.

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
ThereAreVoicesInMyHead said:
Which intake is better? more hp gain / which one is louder? im planning to make a purchase soon and im leaning towards AEM because of their name, AEM is known to make good intakes...any input would help, thanks.
AEM = a possibility of a CEL (check engine light) which may = a loss in HP for our cars.

SRT w/ R-ECU = much more gain at nearly 3x the price, but it's "supposed" to give around 15rwhp. other's have found it to not have much gain on their cars.

Not sure about loudness, but I suspect from reading peoples reviews that it is the loudest intake available, the frickin tubing is 4" in diameter!

I really encourage you to research first though.

In short, do a search and find out the info you want to know.

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
Aubie83 said:
I have got a AEM Intake on the way, I will let you know what it does :wink:
is it new or used?.. AEM stoppped making their intakes cuz 50 percent worked well and 50 percent worked really badly..

you should have gotten a K&N typhoon intake OR PLP intake OR JoesZ pipe with a trd filter/ toms filter/ blitz fitler..

those are the three intakes id go with for now.. (of course SRT as well...)

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
hmm the trend on the aem seems to be it works on 2002 (5spds?) and not so much on 2001. Because the 2002 fuel map is different.

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
dpatterson069 said:
Aubie83 said:
I have got a AEM Intake on the way, I will let you know what it does :wink:
is it new or used?.. AEM stoppped making their intakes cuz 50 percent worked well and 50 percent worked really badly..

you should have gotten a K&N typhoon intake OR PLP intake OR JoesZ pipe with a trd filter/ toms filter/ blitz fitler..

those are the three intakes id go with for now.. (of course SRT as well...)
Yeah, it is brand new. I cant wait for it c'mon(giddiness takes over!!) :chill:

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
dpatterson069 said:
AEM stoppped making their intakes cuz 50 percent worked well and 50 percent worked really badly..
Yea I have been lucky with my AEM... I have a 2001 and the intake has
been on for over a year with no problems....at all

·
Guru of Supercharged ISs
8,744 Posts
SRT.

look for used SRT on ebay or here in for sale forum...be sure you get the Race ECU setup I dynoed at a 13rwhp increase by adding SRT & possibility that w/ my exh mods it is losing a bit of potential HP.. SRT is designed more for stock or lightly modded Exh. basically (light backpressure..) & i've opened mine up ALOT.....

used SRT's can be had for $400+ Vs $650/$695 br new..

if i was not gone already w/SRT I would be using Joes intake w /TRD or...? filter & saving the rest for the PLP S/C I Met Joe & found about his personal Intake project only 2 weeks after I bought my SRT./...

THe SRT SOUNDS pretty fuggin Badass for Sure!!!!! :chill: :chill: :chill:

edgy

·
Registered
273 Posts
If you only plan on doing the basic mods like intake, header, and exhaust go with the SRT or Area 51 intake. If you plan on doing more go with the AEM or Injen and get a S-AFC. Dyno tuning the S-AFC with the AEM or the Injen will get you roughly the same performance as the SRT or the Area 51 intakes. I got the AEM because I eventually want to get a turbo.

Hope this helps.
Daniel

·
Guru of Supercharged ISs
8,744 Posts
Agreed.

This makes the most sense...

I will prolly Sell the SRT when i go S/C.

Heck..... I might realize more power from S-AFC/Tuning rite now if, as i suspect, the exh. I now have is possibly "out of range" for the SRT's R/ECU settings to maximize & utilize properly.. sorta like the deal where the SRT R/ECU needs to be reflashed if used w/a header....?

.....& Now that i'm looking at a header I will prolly go w/ S-AFC as well, so I/m debating selling the SRT & getting an S-AFC & perhaps Joe-Z's Intake or ?? & the header & just tuning it all together ......

Might be less hassle than getting ( or trying to get... :wink: ) SRT's R / ECU reflashed by MO....?

do you all think that a properly & specifically tuned S-AFC / Intake/ Header combo will be better than using the SRT ReFlashed ECU...?
.. how does SRT know the specifics of your motors' output, & the flow of the Header... etc to be able to re-set the R/ecu properly& accurately...?

They would just have to make "general " adjustments to the settings correct? & these would be wide enuff to cover a wider range of operating parameters than a well tuned S-afc would have to be set for...?

I'm thinking the Tuned S-AFC & a good decent Intake w/header & other Exh mods is the way to go...

I'm thinkin' if i go header i will need a quieter exh. too,.... or mabey just go with DUALs .....??

Yo Alteazer/ S_4.. wanna sell yer exh setup.....?

You'll never get the $ from it you invested by selling the whole car .. :cry:

Edgy

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
10 Participants
edgy
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing