Lexus IS Forum banner

Aem Problem! *please Help*

3K views 63 replies 8 participants last post by  JaysonMFK 
#1 ·
Hey,

i recently purchased aem for my 98 vvti supra. It seems that i have 5 wire harness and previous n/a supra have 3. Has anyone here went with aem? i heard you can custom wire harness but has anyone in here done that before?

thanks

#4 ·
champazn said:
Hey,

i recently purchased aem for my 98 vvti supra. It seems that i have 5 wire harness and previous n/a supra have 3. Has anyone here went with aem? i heard you can custom wire harness but has anyone in here done that before?

thanks
i'm confused. are you asking about the aem on your supra or are you asking about putting it on an IS300?

#7 ·
I have not looked at a Supra 98+ ECU. The only way to make a custom harness from the AEM and piggyback onto the existing harness. Whatever box you are using needs to be modified to do this unless you have the racebox. The wiring is the easy part. Next you need to get a cal that will run the thing - that is the hard part! Good luck!

#9 ·
lol, no offense but if your that out of it you are almost inevitably focked.

Even if you manage to get it wired into the car correctly(easy part, even easier if you have plug/play which I'm sure you do) tuning it will still be very difficult.

You best bet will be to take the car to someone who knows what they are doing. That or start reading on how to do it yourself. I have found that internet forums won't walk you through things and you have to do a lot of investigating yourself.

Eitherway good luck!

#10 ·
JaysonMFK said:
lol, no offense but if your that out of it you are almost inevitably focked.

Even if you manage to get it wired into the car correctly(easy part, even easier if you have plug/play which I'm sure you do) tuning it will still be very difficult.

You best bet will be to take the car to someone who knows what they are doing. That or start reading on how to do it yourself. I have found that internet forums won't walk you through things and you have to do a lot of investigating yourself.

Eitherway good luck!
tuning it is not the problem

if he's trying to install aem on the IS, which he hasn't said, but i'm assuming, his real problem will be getting everything hooked up, synched, and working. it's definately doable. people do different car setups all the time, just have to have some electrical knowledge. I heard a guy hooked up an aem in a trd s/c tacoma in a day, but that person knows it inside out.

#11 ·
Im trying to install this ems on my 98 vvti supra. Yes, i heard tunning is a issue too but 1st thing is 1st try to get everything hooked up properly.

Turbo97se- i dont get what cal is ? please can you be more specific and get some pics?? that would be very helpful.

#13 ·
Actually the AEM forums do not work as of right now and yes www.supraforums.com do.

You will find much more info there, check the MKIV, Dyno Tuning and maybe some of the sponsor sections for help.

PS: The Cal the 79se was referring to is your "calibration" that your AEM would use to run the car.

#14 ·
IS_Dude said:
aaaaaaaaaa HA........

if you're installing a AEM on a Supra, why are you posting here? the obvious of SF and AEMForums not working?
likely because nobody turbo's 98 NA vvti-i supra's :p

#16 ·
IS_Dude said:
tuning it is not the problem

if he's trying to install aem on the IS, which he hasn't said, but i'm assuming, his real problem will be getting everything hooked up, synched, and working. it's definately doable. people do different car setups all the time, just have to have some electrical knowledge. I heard a guy hooked up an aem in a trd s/c tacoma in a day, but that person knows it inside out.
Tuning is going to be a huge problem for him and he stated before it was for a supra not an IS, that's why I assumed he would have a plug and play unit.

Yes most all standalones are in essense universal. In case you didn't notice he didn't seem to have much "electrical knowledge", hence my reasoning for him being screwed.

#17 ·
IS_Dude said:
that's not the case. i've read it on aem's site before when searching about vvti control on the AEM. might not be terribly common though.
nobody has been able to help the poor guy on Supraforums either..

hopefully Nigel can assist him...or maybe even Lance? how did he get the AEM connected on Kevin's IS?

#19 ·
JaysonMFK said:
lol wtf are you talking about tsop? Am I missing the sarcasm maybe?
not at all...

1998 non turbo supra came with the same vvt-i 2JZ-GE engine as the IS300...and it quite rare, if at all, to find one NA-T :p

#20 ·
JaysonMFK said:
Tuning is going to be a huge problem for him and he stated before it was for a supra not an IS, that's why I assumed he would have a plug and play unit.
tuning may be a problem for him, but it's not a problem. getting it hooked up and running is the tough part if there is no base map for startup.

#21 ·
tsopranoMB said:

hopefully Nigel can assist him...or maybe even Lance? how did he get the AEM connected on Kevin's IS?
Getting the AEM on the IS isn't that hard, matter of fact I think the motec is more difficult lol.

No one has helped him because he needs a lot of help, the kind where he should pay someone for it.

#22 ·
nothing is hard when you have a competent installer who does it for a living....for any EMS on any type of car

otherwise, for the average owner, if it doesnt have a harness for plug and play, then you are fucked....and need to spend $$$ to get it custom wired

#23 ·
tsopranoMB said:

well, just way to much missing info he didn't post. i don't know his story and can't keep track of everyone, nor do i want to.

anyway, hopefully nigel can lead him down the right path, but i don't think nigel is going to give away too much info as he's trying to sell his setup.

aem isn't in Kevin's car yet. Mine's going to be the first. he's getting to it next week prolly, hurricane shut down miami for the last couple weeks so it's slow progress.

and as you guys stated, it isn't a problem installing by someone who does that stuff all the time. just have to do it.

#25 ·
champazn said:
Come on guys! help me out here.. no one really gives me clears answers here. Just nips and picks..i mean it would help to be led in the right direction as well i haven't drove my car in 4 months!!!!!!!!!
Call AEM or post on supraforums where someone might be more familiar with your particular application. You need to be more specific also with your questions.

You are basically asking for someone to tell you how to install it, that's a pretty in depth post in itself, you need to either:

A: Have a competent installer do the work for you.(which I recommend)

B: Read the AEM manual and other books regarding EMS/EFI functions. This will give you a good idea of how everything comes together and why/how it all functions.

G'luck hope that's the answer you were looking for.

#26 ·
champazn said:
Hey,

thanks
OK,

Figure out how efi works in general

Find an AEM wiring diagram(Call AEM or look in the manual).

Figure out what you need and what you don't(as far as sensors/functions/etc.) Find out what those other two extra wires are for by breaking down where they are connected and such... basically just use logic and reverse engineer the thing or talk with someone at AEM/supraforums(BLKMGK) that may know....

Like I said before, you are better off just pay someone to install and tune it, because even if for some lucky reason you can install it yourself(which I'm guessing you just plug it in, in your case), I doubt you understand the principles on which EMS's runs and will have much difficulty tuning it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.