Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I would like some opinios please. I am going to buy one of these cars in the next 1-30 days. I have test driven both cars, recently the IS300, about 4 months ago the CL-S. I plan to test drive the CL-S agian this week. My impressions were that the CL-S was faster, quicker, and nicer inside. IS 300 was a little more responsive in handeling and steering but not quite as nice inside. Also the Lexus appeared to be a little bigger in the back seat, but it is a sedan. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Please no bashing/flaming. Just looking for a little help in the decision making process. Thanks in advace for your time!

JD
McLean, VA

·
Registered
155 Posts
Well, the CL-S IS faster, and the interior is more "luxury" oriented. The IS definitely handles better (I think the CL-S suspension is much too "cushy" for the amount of power it has, making it almost dangerous to drive really spirited), and the interior is more "sport" oriented. So really it all comes down to a matter of tastes, and what you want in a car. I think they are both nice cars, but not really all that comparable (aside from price) as they are aimed at two different types of drivers, IMO.

Scrap.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Not too sure about the CL-S ?
I recently bought the IS over the TL-S .
I order a White TL-S , which is going to be here in late March . but I change my mind to IS instead . IS got more stuff for you to mod On .

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
Bad comparison.....you should be asking yourself
SC300/400 or CL-S

IS300 was not meant to compete with a 2 door coupe.

·
Registered
509 Posts
but the again, if u wanna use SC300/400 to compare to CL-S, they are totally in different class!! besides, it will be SC430 soon, and acura doesnt have anything in that sports coupe class except the NSX, whose new style wont be due like in 2004!?

PS, speaking of the acura, i love the CL-S, even though i bought IS300 instead of the CL-S. and i hate the NSX styling, especially the tail..i just think it as a Ferrari wannabe... anyway, just my two cents.

Originally posted by Eddy:
Bad comparison.....you should be asking yourself
SC300/400 or CL-S

IS300 was not meant to compete with a 2 door coupe.

------------------
01' Spectra Blue Mica

Fully loaded IS 300

·
Registered
81 Posts
Originally posted by Japcarfan:

haha rwd is more dangerous than fwd cars.

But it is a lot more FUN!!! That is the reason why you buy the IS300. To have some FUN, "enjoy" driving a car!

And I don't think RWD is that BAD. Okay. My Bimmer firends, 3 out 4 crashed their car. But there were reasons. Either they had too much beer, or running summer tire on snow. Driving too fast. RWD needs a lot more attention, especially in bad weather or on wet road surface.

However, with FWD car, you will most likely to get understeer, and more understeer! Most RWD car like the IS300 or Bimmer are tuned to have some mild understeer at the limit. Which is very good, because all you had to do is to lift you foot when you get understeer. But the difference is that you have the oversteer option with the RWD. You got no choice with the FWD. If you got understeer, pray GOD! There ain't much you can do but hope the front tires get their traction back ASAP! If you slam on the brake, which is what some people might do while got scared. You shift more weight to the front. Now, with more weight, the car will have more grip, but guess what. You have to deal with the latreal G-force. Which will push the front end even more when you slam the brake.

Don't get me wrong here. I drive a TL, and it's a FWD of course. There is nothing wrong with FWD, but it is just not meant to have the edge in performance. Now. if you watch some Type-R racing on the track. They can take advantage of understeering while exiting the corner after the apex. But while "entering the turn" (which is the point before the apex. RWD car can take advantage of oversteer... But I am getting off topic here....

·
Registered
138 Posts
Okay,

The CL is an Accord Coupe with 260HP. Nice but so what? Same chasis and suspension geometry. Absolutely not a car for a "driver"

IS300- engine behind the fron axle, gas tank inside the rear axle, low center of gravity, RWD(anyone who says different is smokin', look at all the real cars in the world not $20K econos with $40K in modifications)LOL!

With just some minute fine-tuning you can make an IS300 into a world-class sport sedan.

My 2 pennies are face up!!

------------------
01'IS300 Black/Black
RMM Intake/Exhaust
18x7.5 SSR GT1
Tein HA w/pillow mounts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Both cars are great.IS300 gets more look and prestige. CL-s gives more comfort and amentities. IMO, CLS-feels a bit older

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm dealing with the same issue right now - if I could decide between these two cars, I'd go down to the dealership right now and buy one.

My take: the CL-S is the "smart" decision ... it has more power, is more luxurious, costs less, has more and better features (e.g., navigation) and Acura just seems to have thought the car through, BUT the car's looks rob you of any pulse of a visceral thrill, so I'm leaning IS300.

(IMHO, the CL-S looks a lot like the 1975 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Brougham my dad gave me to drive in college ... when I'm comparing a car's looks to "my father's Oldsmobile", it's not a good thing).

Here's my summary comparison of the two vehicles:

1. Value: CL-S, medium edge

2. Handling: even (I didn't notice an advantage on my test drives, though many here would give an edge to IS300 because of RWD, I'm sure)

3. Reliability: even

4. Exterior Styling: IS300, strong edge (much better shape, much better color choice)

5. "Cachet": IS300, medium edge (Lexus name, sportier look)

6. Power: CL-S, slight edge

7. Price: CL-S, slight-medium edge

8. "Luxury": CL-S, slight-medium edge

9. Passenger Handling: IS300, slight edge (4 doors, though interior room about the same)

10. Cargo Handling: CL-S, slight edge

11. Cost of Ownership: CL-S, slight edge (mostly due to better MPG)

12. Fuel Economy: CL-S, medium edge

13. Interior Styling: CL-S, medium edge (IS300 tries just a little too hard to *look* sporty, though some seem to love it)

14. Dealership/Warranty: IS300, slight edge (my local Lexus dealer offers free maintenance for three years - YMMV)

15. Onboard Navigation: CL-S, strong edge (not available on IS300 til 2002)

·
Registered
341 Posts
CL-S = Practical sports car
IS300 = Fun sports car

We struggled for a short time on the issue of practicality, but decided to give up the gas mileage and trunk size for more fun in the twisties. And for once in our lives, we're so glad we did.

This is a call each individual needs to make for themselves. They're two different beasts.

------------------
Kompressor
`01 Millenium Silver

·
Registered
81 Posts
If you guys want 4 doors... you can consider the TL-S as well... Price is about the same as the CL-S. Basically the same car but with 4 door.

Now, I don't know about you guys, but I would consider the BMW as well. I mean come on, Toyota aimed at the BMW while they designed the car. It cost more, but it is also more of a car. More R & D, more refined. But that' s JMHO... I mean I don't mean to start a flame war here... Me and my friend together we have tons Bimmer, 2 IS300 and 2 TLs. They all are nice cars... After all, you really get what you paid for...

Don't think that you will save money with the TL-S or CL-S. No... the driver's seat is like ****. I don't have enought knee room. I am only 5' 10' kinda short. Imagine those 6 footers. It's also made in US. F the quality... But my friends IS ain't that good either... Just thought you people know...

I think if I want the IS, wait for the 5 speed. That's a way better value. You don't get multi-fuction steering wheel, and Auto-dim mirrow compared to the Bimmer. But the whole car is good enough to keep up with the Bimmer is a lower price. A good compremise IMHO...

·
Registered
202 Posts
From the sounds of your post, it looks like the CL is for you. If you really need 4 doors in the same package, wait about a month or so and go for the TL-S. If you want another viable option (for a coupe), i would really consider the SOlara V6. IT's interior is as luxrious (and not as cheap looking as the CL's), is quieter, and best yet, can be had with a TRD supercharger and a manual transmission.

I'd still go for an 02' IS300 given that it is 1) RWD 2) I6 engine 3) manual available and 4) Lexus nameplate...good luck!

Originally posted by jdtoyou:
Hi all,

I would like some opinios please. I am going to buy one of these cars in the next 1-30 days. I have test driven both cars, recently the IS300, about 4 months ago the CL-S. I plan to test drive the CL-S agian this week. My impressions were that the CL-S was faster, quicker, and nicer inside. IS 300 was a little more responsive in handeling and steering but not quite as nice inside. Also the Lexus appeared to be a little bigger in the back seat, but it is a sedan. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Please no bashing/flaming. Just looking for a little help in the decision making process. Thanks in advace for your time!

JD
McLean, VA

·
Registered
354 Posts
At the risk of setting off a firestorm...on the roads and freeways of Los Angeles the only people I see driving CL's are women. The overwhelming majority of IS drivers, however, are men. That says something...just exactly what, I'll leave up to you. But, it is interesting.

·
Registered
7,386 Posts
Originally posted by Japcarfan:

haha rwd is more dangerous than fwd cars.

Let me re-phrase that for you. Rwd cars take more skill to drive, unless you have a fwd with an unnaturally large amount of power, then you have crazy torque steering.

------------------
MAD69
(aka: Post Whore Pimp)

·
Registered
7,386 Posts
Originally posted by [email protected]:
but the again, if u wanna use SC300/400 to compare to CL-S, they are totally in different class!! besides, it will be SC430 soon, and acura doesnt have anything in that sports coupe class except the NSX, whose new style wont be due like in 2004!?

PS, speaking of the acura, i love the CL-S, even though i bought IS300 instead of the CL-S. and i hate the NSX styling, especially the tail..i just think it as a Ferrari wannabe... anyway, just my two cents.

I'd say that Acura has nothing to compare to the IS. The IS is a totally different car, albeit slower. Just because two cars are close in price, doesn't mean they compare to one another.

If you want straight line acceleration, pick the CL-S.

------------------
MAD69
(aka: Post Whore Pimp)

[This message has been edited by junedog (edited February 21, 2001).]

·
Premium Member
14,190 Posts
Originally posted by bananfish:

I'm dealing with the same issue right now - if I could decide between these two cars, I'd go down to the dealership right now and buy one.

My take: the CL-S is the "smart" decision ... it has more power, is more luxurious, costs less, has more and better features (e.g., navigation) and Acura just seems to have thought the car through, BUT the car's looks rob you of any pulse of a visceral thrill, so I'm leaning IS300.

(IMHO, the CL-S looks a lot like the 1975 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Brougham my dad gave me to drive in college ... when I'm comparing a car's looks to "my father's Oldsmobile", it's not a good thing).

Here's my summary comparison of the two vehicles:

1. Value: CL-S, medium edge

2. Handling: even (I didn't notice an advantage on my test drives, though many here would give an edge to IS300 because of RWD, I'm sure)

3. Reliability: even

4. Exterior Styling: IS300, strong edge (much better shape, much better color choice)

5. "Cachet": IS300, medium edge (Lexus name, sportier look)

6. Power: CL-S, slight edge

7. Price: CL-S, slight-medium edge

8. "Luxury": CL-S, slight-medium edge

9. Passenger Handling: IS300, slight edge (4 doors, though interior room about the same)

10. Cargo Handling: CL-S, slight edge

11. Cost of Ownership: CL-S, slight edge (mostly due to better MPG)

12. Fuel Economy: CL-S, medium edge

13. Interior Styling: CL-S, medium edge (IS300 tries just a little too hard to *look* sporty, though some seem to love it)

14. Dealership/Warranty: IS300, slight edge (my local Lexus dealer offers free maintenance for three years - YMMV)

15. Onboard Navigation: CL-S, strong edge (not available on IS300 til 2002)

Solid comparisons, I'm curious, does your Lexus dealer offer 3-years free maintenance to all customers? I've never heard of ANY Lexus dealer offering free maintenance? Please tell us all, so we can strong-arm our local Lexus dealers to compete.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The dealer is Putnam Lexus in Redwood City, California. They have these brochures in which they tout the "Putnam Advantage." At the dealership, the salesman said the first three servicings were free, and later on the phone, he said something about the first three years. Maybe there are three servicings expected in the first three years? He also said it was a $1300 value. I haven't done the math myself to figure out if that's true :) I'm sure Putnam is probably a little less pliable on purchase price because of the free maintenance - frankly, I'd rather have a price break, so I can have the flexibility of getting the car serviced somewhere else if I want.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Originally posted by Altezza:
Here we go again.

RWD made in Japan vs FWD made in Ohio.

You choose.
Hmm yet our CLS's dont smell like dung when you floor it, the bottoms arent falling out. I can tell Lexus made in Japan sure does a better job LOL. My fiancee's IS300 has been back once already. My Acura has not. So, why bring up such a moot point?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts