Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

My 4-year complete warranty is over! over in a couple of weeks...
Planning on taking it to the dealer for its 82K service (at 78K).

My car's an '02, but was purchased in the late of '01.
Would it need/have the ECU/Trac update?
The grey piping along the seats is cracked...will they replace/fix?
My alignment is off...is this covered?

Is there anything else I should get done before the warranty is up?

·
Garage Pit Crew Chief
5,631 Posts
there is a post on VIns that need the TRAC/ECU update. Find it, and check you VIN against it.

They will not fix any piping, since it is interior wear and tear ( dont know why you even asked that question! ) . Also, mis-alignment is not a problem with the car. Its caused by road wear, and by hitting bumps, etc. Why would warranty cover this?

I dont mean to be rude, but do you even know WHAT warranty is, what kind is offered with the car you bought, other than its for 4 years, and what is construed as wear-and-tear as opposed to build defects?

You may want to purchase an extended warranty if you have concerns about your car's drivetrain. Other than that, you should be fine.

·
8,880 Posts
HoustonLex said:
And not to alarm you, but the basic warranty expired a long time ago... at 50k miles.
lol.

The only warranty this vehicle still has is the Corrosion Perforation Warranty, which lasts 6 years.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Looks like he's in Canada, so he might be at 78k km, not mi. 50k mi is roughly 80k km, so he's probably right about the mileage.

I'm also assuming that the Canadian and US Warranties are similar (usually they are). In that case he's probably got another 2 years of powertrain warranty left. (and roughly 20k more miles)

·
Garage Pit Crew Chief
5,631 Posts
:duh:

good observation there, storm. +rep for pickign that up.

but like I mentioned in my first post in this thread. Why would items 2 & 3 ever be considered warranty work. If anything, it would be a dealer courtesy on the first one, and the second one.. well lets just say I'd want to have your dealer work on my car if they give out free alignments under warranty work!

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Storm, thanks for noticing.

Yeah I'm in Canada, and I have 78K KMs.
I bought the car used, so the original 4 year is intact...say till september
I have powertrain for another 2 years. The Lexus Certified Pre-Owned whatever that is...
and the extended warranty for I don't remember how much longer...two years?

I thought I might get grilled on this one!

I checked the VIN's posted and called Lexus Canada about them, they said that the VINS are different in the US vs. Canada, so I couldn't do the check. I remember at some point somewhere, I read or heard that interior trim WAS covered under the 4-year warranty... As for alignment, I'll let you know how that goes...you'll have to drive to Toronto to get it.

Point is, my warranty is up...and there's nothing seriously wrong with the car, which is why I bought it. But is there anything you can think of that I should ask for.

What did you do when your 4 years were up?

·
Garage Pit Crew Chief
5,631 Posts
I bought my car CPO at the 50K ish mark with the CPO warranty which is 3more yrs or another 50K mi, whichever comes first. I'm assuming that is more than enough for anything I may encounter, since I have had the car for over a year and put just 12.5K mi on it.

By the time this car gets to a 100K/ 2 more years, I will be ready to get a new car or F/I the crap out of this one so it does not matter.

If I were you, I would go F/I now that you will be warranty free :)

·
Bite my shiny metal ass
938 Posts
An alignment isn't expensive, a 4-wheel alignment is like $80 CDN or less. That's hardly breaking the bank.

·
Registered
114 Posts
if you can't figure out the whole vin # thing, just get the ecu checked ne way...it "should" be covered. just ask them to check it to see if it has the latest program. it wouldn't hurt either way.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I will... I just feel like the dealership is not going to do anything they don't HAVE to.
unless i say something is wrong with it...I'm pretty sure they won't touch it.

regardless I will ask. I will post what happens after I take it in

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for your feedback,
Scheduled an appointment in 2 weeks. They're going to check the ECU/TRAC programming and the hesitation between gears.

They said that it effects mostly '01's. my car is an '02 but the production date was OCT '01 so hopefully that will answer my hesitation issues.

Will let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
2002 did not have ECU/Trac update. This was only a certain block of 01 VINs.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I experience the same hesitation in the gears shifting...
It will get stuck in 2 to 3rd for 2-3 seconds...the problem is intermittent.

·
Premium Member
6,292 Posts
And don't forget to mention the crack on your leather piping aroung the seat. I doubt the will cover it but it's still worth mentioning since you're still under warranty in Canada.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, just got the call back from the dealer and the car is ready.

They updated the ECU program in my '02. Yup, they upgraded the ECU program in my '02
Couldn't hear the intermittent hissing noise coming from the driver side vent when the AC is on, so that wasn't fixed. I never asked them about the leather piping around the seat, think that would've been too much.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts