Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, this is the second IS I've owned. On my first, the dashboard was extremely melted all over, so I pulled the dash and painted the whole thing. On my current IS, only the passenger airbag is sticky. Need some advise on the best way to go about scrubbing the residue off and painting. When I pulled my dash in the old IS, I remember disconnecting the plugs for the airbag, but I believe the airbag stayed connected to the dash when I pulled it. However, should it be possible to disconnect the airbag and pull it through the dash, without me removing the whole dash? Makes me a little nervous messing with the airbag at all...not sure if it's really meant to come apart from the dash?

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Hi all, this is the second IS I've owned. On my first, the dashboard was extremely melted all over, so I pulled the dash and painted the whole thing. On my current IS, only the passenger airbag is sticky. Need some advise on the best way to go about scrubbing the residue off and painting. When I pulled my dash in the old IS, I remember disconnecting the plugs for the airbag, but I believe the airbag stayed connected to the dash when I pulled it. However, should it be possible to disconnect the airbag and pull it through the dash, without me removing the whole dash? Makes me a little nervous messing with the airbag at all...not sure if it's really meant to come apart from the dash?

Thanks guys!
There are several treads on here talking about what you asking. Do a little seach and read up.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There are several treads on here talking about what you asking. Do a little seach and read up.
Thanks I actually did, and found someone asking why his wasn't coming out. He was about to force it. Just wondering advice on if it's worth it/safe to do that, vs. just doing it while installed in the car.

·
Registered
6,571 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Look at the instructions in this DIY: https://www.my.is/#/topics/435709

Also, disconnect your battery before you disconnect the airbag.
Thanks, definitely familiar with this thread - used this when I pulled the dash last time.

But you can see in the pics this guy didn't pull the airbag from the dash, that's what I'm curious about. I'm just going to give it a shot..

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
It’s been a while since I painted my dash, but I think the airbag can be removed after you remove the 4 bolts and plug. IIRC the airbag rotated out of the dash glass side first (it doesn’t just come straight out). Like I said, it’s been a while since I did this, so I could be wrong. If you have one, use a plastic pry tool. Good luck.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It’s been a while since I painted my dash, but I think the airbag can be removed after you remove the 4 bolts and plug. IIRC the airbag rotated out of the dash glass side first (it doesn’t just come straight out). Like I said, it’s been a while since I did this, so I could be wrong. If you have one, use a plastic pry tool. Good luck.
Thanks, will remember that!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts