Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody. This will be the 8th set of tires, or should I call them ruber bands, that I have gone through with this car. I have 2001 IS with the 17" wheels. All I have ever had on this car were tires with the same spec that came with the dealer, but multiple brands(Perelli,Aurrora,bridgstone) that have only lasted me 6months to a year, sometimes less. Bubbles out the waazoo , flats, ect..

I belive the stock thickness is 215 not sure though. Would getting a thicker tire than the stock low-pro help with bubbles and such? I suck when it comes to making a selection for tires and I need some expert advice from my fellow peeps here at is300.net. What brands are the best, and what dimensions would anyone reccommend. I am willing to sacrifice some handling for a better chance that these next tires will last longer. I'm in pothole city , NE part of the country, philly to be exact. Not to mention the rims that have been damaged along the way. I want to order these today so any advice is much appreciated. Right now I have 3 bubbles, one on each of the front tires along with a big one on the right rear. This is becoming extremely dangerous being that I travel on I95 everyday.

--Shawn

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
yes a thicker tire will help with potholes and such. I'm not sure of the max tire you can put on the stock rim. if you haven't searched already i'm sure it has been brought up before.

·
Registered
596 Posts
225/45 17 is a common size for people to switch to. If you want something with a tread life warranty try the Bridgestone G009 it has a 50K tread life warranty.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks, I have been reading through some threads and many people seem to like the 225/45 17 . Should I go with "Z" rated? or does that not mean much. Also, how about yokohomas? are they decent tires compared to the bridgstones?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
how about the bridgstone turanza ls-z 225/45 zr17's ? or the 235/45 zr17's?

Which one would you prefer, pro or cons between the 225 and 235

·
Nygmatic
2,683 Posts
i just purchased 225/45/17 Falken Azenis RT-615 ~740 for the set. Amazing grip and firm sidewall. the firm sidewall will help against bubbling. but like said above, just be careful about potholes. all low profile tires are prone to bubbling because of the decreased absorbtion area in the sidewall.

235's are too wide for a 7" rim IMO.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Yeah a 225/45 would be a good size for the stock 17's. I like my bfg kdw2 alot. You can get them from tirerack and they have great reviews. Great handling, treadwear, and sidewall.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts