Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
mmmmm for the longest time ive been hearing that injen doesnt retain much low end, and it even dynoed to prove that not much torque gain is acheived, by injen. well i dunno if this works the same way as exhausts, but if i get a smaller air filter, will i bea ble to feel more torque towards the lower RPMS?

with my current injen filter(the one it came with), i believe its at about 3 or 3/5 inches diameter...and believe me, u can definitiely hear it sucking in air...

i've heard of people buying the blitz filters, HKK mushroom filters, or just bigger filters in general...

what if i went with a smaller APEX'i one or a smaller Injen one? say...2.5 inches?
this is current, http://www.optionsauto.com/prodinfo.asp?number=INJ-X-1014

im thinking of getting this...http://www.optionsauto.com/prodinfo.asp?number=INJ-X-1012
..but thats IF i dont get the Apex'i dry mesh filter...i really like it..and many ppl have said good things about Apexi filters for AEM intakes...also, it came out on top on THIS TEST...

anyone have input or experience? ive searched but couldnt find exact results...search would also time out..so i dunno..

thanks ahead of time for ppl who are gona have any input
:cool:
-Aaron

·
Premium Member
3,844 Posts
I've got an Injen along with a larger filter(next size up for Injen).(As well as some other mods) I really don't think the low end suffered at all because I've got over 200wtq from 2700rpm all the way to over 5400rpm.

·
Registered
4,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well i dunno do u have a 5spd? i have eshift and im thinking of getting headers next...and put the stock Y pipe back on....then i want to reduce the mass air flow at low RPMs and try to add a bit of restriction, put the filter at 2.5 or 2.75 inches...form apexi...so wonder if that will help at all..
-Aaron

·
Registered
4,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
also..considering..AFE..heard good stuff from IMPRIMIS, MIKEFATE and E12iC46 ..also this is the filter that SRT uses for their intakes?

anyone know how they are and how loud they are?

-Aaron

·
Registered
989 Posts
ever heard of a SARD filter?

·
Registered
4,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yes i am getting the AFE filter that SRT uses..didnt know they wer 10 minutes away from my house..in corona..

what abotu sard filter? isnt sard jdm and costs a lot??

·
Registered
4,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
dude i just checked..might as well get Apexi if i get SARD. the filter alone is $110, and the adaptor is $25. DAYUM. and thats ONTOP of what i paid for injen. so thats like $400 for another 5RWP...i'll stick to AFE direct clamp on...but no one is answering my question...

will a SMALLER filter, allow the little bit of restriction to IMPROVE low end power??

-Aaron

·
Premium Member
3,844 Posts
onyxaltezza said:
mmmmm for the longest time ive been hearing that injen doesnt retain much low end, and it even dynoed to prove that not much torque gain is acheived, by injen. well i dunno if this works the same way as exhausts, but if i get a smaller air filter, will i bea ble to feel more torque towards the lower RPMS?
As far as ANY intake goes, there will not bet much of a torque gain unless you manipualte the MAF signal.
onyxaltezza said:
well i dunno do u have a 5spd? i have eshift and im thinking of getting headers next...and put the stock Y pipe back on....then i want to reduce the mass air flow at low RPMs and try to add a bit of restriction, put the filter at 2.5 or 2.75 inches...form apexi...so wonder if that will help at all..
-Aaron
I'm alittle confused onthis one. The way I read this is you want to restrict airflow enough to potentially reduce any output gain that putting an intake on would have gained in the first place.

Also....If you're gonna give enough throttle to worry about torque below 3000rpm the computer is gonna downshift the tranny for you anyway, thus putting you back into a higher rpm.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
i will just stay away from injen.. all i need is that carb sticker of it, lol

·
Registered
13,954 Posts
onyxaltezza said:
yes i am getting the AFE filter that SRT uses..didnt know they wer 10 minutes away from my house..in corona..

what abotu sard filter? isnt sard jdm and costs a lot??
Believe me

AFE is a nice filter man, hell if they make the TRD USA filters.....:lol:

don't buy into the "jdm" hype

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Since you live so close...jus go down there and take a look at them. I believe the one that comes wid the stage two turbo fits on the intake perfectly. My local shop owner has a turbo kit from srt and im using his filter right now.

·
Registered
4,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ACtually I just got off the phone with AFE (Advanced Flow Engineering) and I have decided that K&N is out of the picture, since AFE was engineered by ex-K&N engineers anyways...they have been proven to outperform K&N in air flow, and filtering out particles. they have a SEVEN PLY(Gold Filter than SRT Intakes use), and the FOUR PLY race clamp on universal filters that they designed for bimmers, SRT4's etc, and have all provided a substantial gain over stock..

here are some examples...
http://www.afefilters.com/e36review.htm
http://www.afefilters.com/54-10482 Nissan 350z review.htm
http://www.afefilters.com/54-10582 Neon Product review.htm

also, I asked the techincian there if the K&N Recharge kit would work for cleaning AFE filters. and said no, because the AFE filter oil is way finer, and to use K&N oil would just fry the MAF. So the intake filter itself is more advanced than K&N, and they use finer oil than K&N...

and so i have decided that for $50, it is probably my best bang for the buck after market cone air intake filter. Apex'i is $60 filter, and another $40 for the adapter.

So new setup will be Injen Gen 3 Intake Pipe + AFE Blue Air Filter.

this is what the filter itself looks like:
http://www.afefilters.com/universal.htm

anyone tried this before or have any input about this? I would like to see how much in gains I would get from just the injen pipe and AFE filter alone, so maybe after I buy it, we can test it out on a stock IS, and i will pay for the dyno at LMS. i know AFE isnt often mentioned when ppl buy intakes, as Injen, AEM, and K&N often get brought up... so I will try to test if they are good for their word or not.

:cool: hehhe best of luck to me :p

·
Registered
4,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yogi_TRD said:
As far as ANY intake goes, there will not bet much of a torque gain unless you manipualte the MAF signal.

I'm alittle confused onthis one. The way I read this is you want to restrict airflow enough to potentially reduce any output gain that putting an intake on would have gained in the first place.

Also....If you're gonna give enough throttle to worry about torque below 3000rpm the computer is gonna downshift the tranny for you anyway, thus putting you back into a higher rpm.
well Yogi, what I meant was, I alread have a 2.5 exhaust, and Y pipe, but I will most likely swap out the Y pipe for headers soon. What I wanted to know was, with a huge filter and a wide open exhaust system, wouldnt air just go in and straight out? is there such thing as too much flow? i dont want to instigate the rebirth of the "lossing too much back pressure" myth, but i want to know if a little bit of up top restriction, will be better for some low end torque, instead of TOO much air flowing int to a 3 inch intake pipe..will a smaller pipe help retain a BIT or low end torque with the LITTLE restriction??

Yogi, thanks for the help.
Jason, i trust you so imma give it a try.
Eric, they said I could come but theres no point b/c I cant buy from them since they dont retail there..but they can show me better how the intakes look like and whats so good about them...so I will probably do that...

Also I have noticed that they dont have a specific IS300 application and they mentioned that they are workin on domestics, and euro cars. they are trying to sxpand the market to vettes now, just got some porsche's in..so i might try to work a deal with them to do an application for the IS. might be hard cuz our cars are old, but if they develop one for IS3, it might alos be compatible with NA supra, so i think they would consider that.

I will speak to the technician again tomorrow afternoona and keep you guys updated.

-Aaron

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Dude I don't get all this fuss...a filter is a filter is a filter is a filter is a filter. All this little bickering...I swear I've never seen such a big fuss about what filter this and torque loss that from an intake...sorry it's just a bit annoying.

The difference in flow and power is MARGINAL. The only thing that really differs the most is the filtering properties.

Read this review. Apex'i is said to be the BEST filter, in power gains and filtering properties.

http://mkiv.com/techarticles/filters_test/2/

Hope that helps you. I've heard good things about AFE, but like I said, I don't see the big fuss.

Sorry for being so angry, little thing big fuss kinda pisses me off.

·
Registered
4,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yeah ive already read that artivle, that is wbhat made me decide for Apexi in the first place. but its a hole in the wallet to fit apexi filter on the Injen intake pipe.

·
Hello World
3,733 Posts
Hey, Aaron. If you are going to buy AFE filter for you intake, can you buy one for me, too? Man I'm super lazy to drive down to autobacs...lol

·
Registered
4,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
oh what they sell it at autobacs!? imma have to check then lol.

·
Hello World
3,733 Posts
I'm not saying Autobacs has AFE filter. I usually drive down there to buy stuffs :)

·
Registered
4,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
they dont have it lol i just called.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts