Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a used '02 IS300 and the damn car didn't come with HID Xenon headlights. Fortunately, the dealer agreed to send me $400 to purchase some HIDs.

So...can yall please give me advice on the best HID conversion kit out there and where to buy it for around $400??
Also, what type of bulbs are needed for the IS300?

Thanks for the help!!

·
Premium Member
2,767 Posts
how about tell the dealer to just keep his money and get you the HID kit? Have them install it as well for jipping you :p

·
Registered
941 Posts
That's weird, the IS comes with HID's from the factory.

Either way, it's an easy fix. This is all you will need:

1. 2 denso ballasts (they fit right under your factory headlights).
2. 2 d2R HID bulbs (what kevlin temp. you prefer).
3. 2 water-tight plastic seals to go over your ballasts
4. 2 water-tight, round plastic seals to protect your bulbs... you may already have these.

All of this can be had for under $300 with relative ease. ;)

-kyle

·
Registered
13,954 Posts
Kcruracer said:
I just purchased a used '02 IS300 and the damn car didn't come with HID Xenon headlights. Fortunately, the dealer agreed to send me $400 to purchase some HIDs.

So...can yall please give me advice on the best HID conversion kit out there and where to buy it for around $400??
Also, what type of bulbs are needed for the IS300?

Thanks for the help!!

oaky 1st off

what year IS300 (02)....

All IS300's have HID (unless they have JDM heads)

please show pics)

Also, the OEM is a D2R bulb

but you should have them unless they removed them for some wierd reason ... :confused:

·
Registered
941 Posts
IMPRIMIS said:
oaky 1st off

what year IS300 (02)....

All IS300's have HID (unless they have JDM heads)

please show pics)

Also, the OEM is a D2R bulb

but you should have them unless they removed them for some wierd reason ... :confused:
I'm guessing the previous owner did an extreme part-out before selling. He probably sold his ballasts to some scion owner, sold the HID bulbs on ebay, and just converted the headlights to halogen. I've seen this before.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
im thinking mayybe this car could be a theift recovery or like another post someone parted it out than traded it in, its amazing how many people buy things and dont know anything about the product they are recieving

·
Registered
941 Posts
Oh ya, I forgot to mention. You probably want to stay away from an aftermarket HID conversion kit. Not only will it cost more, but will be kind of "ghetto" to have some aftermarket HID's in a car that comes with them from the factory. Not to mention, our headlights are designed to be used with D2R bulbs.

Do you know if your car has a salvaged title?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was fully aware the the IS comes standard with HID Xenons, but I didn't think it was necesssary to confirm that every standard feature was there such as making sure the sound system is indeed a 240-watt system. Some things you just assume are there...

There was front-end damage to the car, so I'm guessing the mechanic installed regular halogen bulbs to save money.

Anyways...can anyone please help me out with the question on hand??

·
Registered
941 Posts
Kcruracer said:
I was fully aware the the IS comes standard with HID Xenons, but I didn't think it was necesssary to confirm that every standard feature was there such as making sure the sound system is indeed a 240-watt system. Some things you just assume are there...

There was front-end damage to the car, so I'm guessing the mechanic installed regular halogen bulbs to save money.

Did you not read all the above posts?

Look at my post above, #3. That right there is everything you need to know.

·
Registered
13,954 Posts
Kcruracer said:

Well we did answer all the questions

and I doubt that he just installed the halogen bulbs (not the right connectors unless he rigged it in)

Please get us pictures to refer to under the hood and or the heads

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I appreciate all the help from everyone...i'm more referring to JKSlexus's comment.

The car has a clean title, but there was some work done on the front.

I know it's pretty ghetto to install some aftermartet HID kit, but buying HIDs from Lexus (which I don't even think they sell just the HID kit) would be wayy too expensive. So that's why I'm wondering if anyone can suggest a particular HID kit on the market that is good quality and would work on my IS.

I'll try to get some pics up, but I'm 99.99% sure they are not HIDs.

·
Registered
941 Posts
you don't need and aftermarket hid kit man, that's the whole point I made above...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, if I buy all those components separately isn't that still technically "aftermarket"?? Not trying to be a smart-ass or anything, I'm jus confused...
Where can I buy those components anyway (denso ballasts, d2r bulbs, etc.)?

·
Premium Member
2,767 Posts
the dealership

·
Registered
941 Posts
Kcruracer said:
Well, if I buy all those components separately isn't that still technically "aftermarket"?? Not trying to be a smart-ass or anything, I'm jus confused...
Where can I buy those components anyway (denso ballasts, d2r bulbs, etc.)?
No, actually it's not aftermarket.

You are buying OEM denso ballasts that came on every single IS300 from the factory. They are made to sit flush directly underneath the headlamps.

The only thing "aftermarket" about doing this would be bulbs (taking into account you would want to upgrade from the OEM 4300k bulbs).

If you use the 4300k bulbs along with all the other OEM components how could it be aftermarket... you're putting back in the original equipment that your car came with :confused:.

·
Registered
941 Posts

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
First, try this:

Park facing a wall.
Turn off the car
Turn the headlights to ON
Start the car.

Do you see the headlights adjust their height? If they do, then you have the autoleveling for HIDs which makes it more likely that you do have HIDs. I can't imagine anyone would go through the trouble to rewire everything just to save a couple of bucks on bulbs.

But yeah, like others have said, post pics and we can tell you for sure.

If your headlights don't auto adjust and you don't have HIDs, I'd just have the dealership replace the whole headlight assembly. That'd be the easiest thing to do. And they should do that for you for free.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts