Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm thinking of just getting the StopTech replacement slotted rotor front and rear with StopTech steel braided brake lines. it will run me aroun $650.00 for all that, i will install myself (i know how to work on brakes)

my question is: is it worth getting stoptech replacement rotors? i mean i know the bigbrake kit from stoptech is awsome... but are there better replacement rotors for our car? Please let me know..

btw: what are the best brake pads out there? I'm looking for pads that have good breaking power that aren't too messy on the wheels (brake dust) and dont squeek..

PS: yes i know doing this wont make my car stop faster, but in fact helps prevent brake fade during high speed braking, so dont say... "why do u need that anyways?" :chill:

thanks in advance!

·
Registered
5,654 Posts
See my sig for suggestions...
- iRotors w/zinc coating
- Axxis pads
- Stoptech SS lines

A complete Stoptech kit is overkill unless your car will be spending more time on track than off.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
^^^ exactly what i told ya.........rotors, axxis metal masters, and stainless brake lines :D

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
getting the rotors would be fine. I have the Stop Tech big brake kit and love it, but combining the rotors with TRD pads, or EBC Geen stuff pads are decent also. I've seen it on a couple cars and the owners mentioned how little brake dust they get.

·
Guru of Supercharged ISs
8,744 Posts
arent the axxis pads pretty dusty...??

I heard the EBC greens kinda suck too but i cannot remember why that was... short life... shitty feel to 'em, fading, lotsa dust ....? what was it..?

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
What is a good axxis pad to get? I think i remember seeing that the ultimate created a lot of dust but worked great. How about the others?

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
the ones ive heard were the best are axxis metal masters but i dont have any first hand info for you

·
Registered
5,654 Posts
I have the Axxis Ultimate Pads. I can only compare them to the stock pads. Here are my thoughts...

- They have less brake dust than stock pads.
- They squeak. The stock pads do not.
- They need to be warmed up before you get full stopping power. Sometimes I have to apply more force than the stock to get the same stopping power because the pads are not a full opperating temp. The stock does not require warm to get full performance.
- I have about 10k miles on them and they show normal wear (if you toss in a few track days).
- They have not scored the rotors. Only normal wear.

On the street - I would not reccomend these. In most driving situations, the average user will probably not get them up to the necessary opperating temp. Thus, the stopping power will not be impressive. Also, the squeak might annoy some folks (you can only hear it if your windows are down).

On the track - They worked AWSOME. No complaints. Well...there was a ton of brake dust :lol:

·
Registered
483 Posts
I've got the Axxis ultimates and they're great, but they do squeak alot, and mine leave lots of dust. Switching to Axxis deluxe plus which supposedly squek less, have less dust and give equal street performance, but at the sacrifice of some track performance.

·
Registered
5,654 Posts
Enevel12 said:
I've got the Axxis ultimates and they're great, but they do squeak alot, and mine leave lots of dust. Switching to Axxis deluxe plus which supposedly squek less, have less dust and give equal street performance, but at the sacrifice of some track performance.
I will be switching as well...when the time comes. Probably moving down a notch in the high performance arena. The Deluxe sounds pretty good!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts