Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I bought my IS I had an MKIV VR6 jetta. Aside from being a peice of junk assembled in Mexico, the jetta was a blast to drive, and I had some 19's on it which I'm trying to sell now.
The problem is they are very ugly rims. So ugly that I feel embarrassed about buying them in the first place :oops: A few years ago, I went through a stage where somehow these ugly, heinous, oversized chrome rims were apealing to me.
Anyway, they are the motegi chrome DPK's
http://www.motegiracing.com/applicationguide/motegiimages/mega/m2016.jpg
I drove on them for two summers, so they're nowhere near perfect condition, and have some minor scrapes and scratches. And one rim has about a 1/2 inch area starting to peal lol..The tires have minor wear in the treads. I know the bottom line is, I shouldn't have bought these heinous rims to begin with lol, but I'm in need of money to fix up my IS (tastefully of course), and I figure there has to be someone out there who might want them.. Obviously nobody on this board wants them, I'm just looking for advice on what a fair price might be.

I think you can buy these rims brand new on the internet for about 1,500 (including tires). Although I still have my receipt showing I paid $2,000 for them at a local store.
Can you guys give me an idea of what price range I can get away with selling them for?

·
Registered
13,954 Posts
mpc3000 said:
Before I bought my IS I had an MKIV VR6 jetta. Aside from being a peice of junk assembled in Mexico, the jetta was a blast to drive, and I had some 19's on it which I'm trying to sell now.
The problem is they are very ugly rims. So ugly that I feel embarrassed about buying them in the first place :oops: A few years ago, I went through a stage where somehow these ugly, heinous, oversized chrome rims were apealing to me.
Anyway, they are the motegi chrome DPK's
http://www.motegiracing.com/applicationguide/motegiimages/mega/m2016.jpg
I drove on them for two summers, so they're nowhere near perfect condition, and have some minor scrapes and scratches. And one rim has about a 1/2 inch area starting to peal lol..The tires have minor wear in the treads. I know the bottom line is, I shouldn't have bought these heinous rims to begin with lol, but I'm in need of money to fix up my IS (tastefully of course), and I figure there has to be someone out there who might want them.. Obviously nobody on this board wants them, I'm just looking for advice on what a fair price might be.

I think you can buy these rims brand new on the internet for about 1,500 (including tires). Although I still have my receipt showing I paid $2,000 for them at a local store.
Can you guys give me an idea of what price range I can get away with selling them for?

Toss them on ebay

And btw: They look fine on the IS300 I know a couple of IS owners with them ;)

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
those rims arent THAT bad....ive seen a lot worse...you should be able to make some money back...but like mentioned....just throw em on ebay

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The bolt pattern won't fit my IS, but I know somebody with a jetta who might buy them. If he doesn't, then they're going on ebay. I just feel guilty asking a lot of money for them since they're a little scratched up. Do you think 800 is too much including the tires?

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
ive paid 1000 for used rims with tires...and the rims had curb rash and whatnot...

but then again the used rims i bought were 19" advans...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
seriously though JAEohEN, your rims are some of the nicest I've ever seen on any IS imho..

I'm thinking of asking this guy for 800, but there are two things I'd feel guilty about not disclosing:
1. They have some scratches on them, and there's an approximate 1/2 inch spot where the chrome peeled off
2. Before I traded in the jetta for my IS300, the people who removed the 19's told me they had difficulty removing the hardware, and road salt may have corroded some of the hardware. Although I didn't use the rims during winter at all..

If I don't disclose any of that information before selling them, should that make me feel guilty?

·
Registered
13,954 Posts
mpc3000 said:
seriously though JAEohEN, your rims are some of the nicest I've ever seen on any IS imho..

I'm thinking of asking this guy for 800, but there are two things I'd feel guilty about not disclosing:
1. They have some scratches on them, and there's an approximate 1/2 inch spot where the chrome peeled off
2. Before I traded in the jetta for my IS300, the people who removed the 19's told me they had difficulty removing the hardware, and road salt may have corroded some of the hardware. Although I didn't use the rims during winter at all..

If I don't disclose any of that information before selling them, should that make me feel guilty?

just be honest and sell them for worth, disclose all info on them

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As I said, I still have my receipt showing they cost 2,000 but I think you can find them for around 1,500 online.. So based on the descriptions I gave, do you guys think 800 is fair?

thanks

·
Registered
13,954 Posts
mpc3000 said:
As I said, I still have my receipt showing they cost 2,000 but I think you can find them for around 1,500 online.. So based on the descriptions I gave, do you guys think 800 is fair?

thanks

Sure sounds about right :cool:

·
Registered
8,211 Posts
I only got 700 for a set of 18" chrome rims w/ almost new tires on ebay, they didnt even have a scratch on them. They were adr's so if you can get $800 then i'd say run with it, but do be completly honest about them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts