Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week a girl backed into my IS350 - destroyed the rear door on the driver side, dented driver side door and and cracked the rear wheel well that makes up the rear panel. She admitted fault and her insurance is covering the damage.

I have never been happy with the paint on my car. I bought in June 07. It was shiny black but it is faded and chipped although I take care of it as well as I can. When they replace the door and repaint I think there is going to be a big difference in the existing paint and the new and/or repainted parts. I have had one shop look at it and they told me they wont repaint the whole car and they are basically going to bondo the wheel well.

What I really want to know is what I should reasonably expect to get from the insurance company and whichever body shop I choose. I know zero about body or paint - I dont know what to ask for. Will the car look as bad as I think it will if not repainted entirely or am I being too uptight? One option I am thinking of is to chip in some of my own money and have it repainted even if the insurance wont cover it. Ya think?

Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Since I don't know the full extent of your car's damage I can't really say what your best options are. But, if you really want to get your whole car repainted, it is gonna cost A LOT of money; especially if you want it done RIGHT. I would say that $3,000-$4,000 would be a very generous estimate.

Your other option is possibly paintless dent repair, depending on the severity of the body damage. This method is usually a little cheaper and uses little to no bondo, while saving your factory paint, because they air brush the damaged spots after the dents are removed, they also clear-coat it. Its pretty amazing what they can do.

As to your concern about whether the new paint will blend well with your existing factory paint?...... That all depends on the shop you take it to. Most legit body shops will mix the exact factory paint code for your car, so the color will match and since it sounds like your driver- side door, driver-side passenger door and driver-side rear quarter panel all need to be completely repainted, the shop may not need to blend into any factory paint. Just make sure you take your car to a respectable body shop with a good reputation; preferably one that guarantees their work. Its a Lexus bro, anything less than top quality bodywork is unacceptable... Hope that help :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.