Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Why would you recommend an alignment? Changing the sways doesnt change the camber or the toe. Don't waste your cash on an alignment.

·
Registered
5,153 Posts
krompir said:
Why would you recommend an alignment? Changing the sways doesnt change the camber or the toe. Don't waste your cash on an alignment.
It changes the way that forces are dealt with under the car, silly billy. Puts different angles of stress on bushings and fittings.

You should get an alignment after 100-200 miles.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Enlighten me with your knowlege of how the susupension geometry changes when the car is standing still (ie: getting an alignment) with either stock or aftermarket sways. Under cornering loads sways do their work. Last time I checked, both my stock sways and TRD sways were the exact same length and shape, they only differred in diameter. Have you ever noticed how sway bars work? How they attach to the car? How they interact with the suspension? If not, I can suggest some great resources. If you have some facts to back up what you are saying, fine. Otherwise the misinformation spewed all over this site makes it useless to even bother asking simple questions like this.

·
Mr. Negative
12,388 Posts
Alignment is NOT needed after adding sway bars.<----read period

This of course assumes that you have your car aligned properly to begin with though.

Addisng sways will not alter the geometry or wear characteristics in a negative way. On the contrary it will actually improve it because it will reduce the lean of the body, thereby reducing the camber change, which leads to more even tire wear.

·
Registered
86 Posts
krompir said:
Otherwise the misinformation spewed all over this site makes it useless to even bother asking simple questions like this.
I think there might be some truth to this statement since my original response was based on information I read from this site. :(

·
Mr. Negative
12,388 Posts
SDLEX said:
krompir said:
Otherwise the misinformation spewed all over this site makes it useless to even bother asking simple questions like this.
I think there might be some truth to this statement since my original response was based on information I read from this site. :(
It's alright. Lots of people have read bad information and then posted it as fact. The thing is that everyone needs to be wary of doing that. If you personally don't know it to be fact then it should be posed as such with phrases like "I think" or "I heard". Those are keys that the person isn't sure. But please participate and ask questions and state your opinion. There's nothing wrong with that.

For some real quality posts search on particular people's posts. People like "Off-TRAC", "Sacrificial" (unfortunately he's not on anymore), The forum Moderators, and you might even be able to get a scrap or two of worthfull information from my posts in this and the "RaceRelated" forum. There's quite a bit of suspension information in the RaceRelated forum btw. There's also others that post good information too. It just takes time to know who knows what.

sorry for the rambling...

·
Registered
5,153 Posts
krompir said:
Enlighten me with your knowlege of how the susupension geometry changes when the car is standing still (ie: getting an alignment) with either stock or aftermarket sways. Under cornering loads sways do their work. Last time I checked, both my stock sways and TRD sways were the exact same length and shape, they only differred in diameter. Have you ever noticed how sway bars work? How they attach to the car? How they interact with the suspension? If not, I can suggest some great resources. If you have some facts to back up what you are saying, fine. Otherwise the misinformation spewed all over this site makes it useless to even bother asking simple questions like this.
So I guess you are able to drive 100-200 miles when your car is stopped? ,'=

They change how the car reacts to certain angles of the road, it's as simple as that.

·
Mr. Negative
12,388 Posts
This sentance makes no sense. Sway bars or ARB's do not change the way the car reacts to "certain angles of the road". Whatever that means..... If anything it prevents the car from reacting as dramatically as a stock car. I'm literally shaking my head at your comment. Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you meant.

ÜberPhLuBB said:
They change how the car reacts to certain angles of the road, it's as simple as that.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Adding Sway Bars

Thank you very much for the input from all of you! It's very useful!!

I appericated it!!

·
Registered
5,153 Posts
IS_Dude said:
This sentance makes no sense. Sway bars or ARB's do not change the way the car reacts to "certain angles of the road". Whatever that means..... If anything it prevents the car from reacting as dramatically as a stock car. I'm literally shaking my head at your comment. Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you meant.

ÜberPhLuBB said:
It's so simple, how can you not understand?

With the stock sway bars, there is noticeable body roll. With aftermarket sways, there is considerably less (depending on which ones you choose). What's so hard about that?

Sway bars change how the frame of the vehicle reacts to points of stress. And guess what? The shocks, the springs, and the independant suspension arms are all attached to the frame somehow! Attached by bushings, bearings, or just a mechanical hinge. Points of wear. Some of those points can be adjusted. Do you understand now? More stress is put on some points, and less stress is put on other points.

·
Mr. Negative
12,388 Posts
ÜberPhLuBB said:
IS_Dude said:

ÜberPhLuBB said:
It's so simple, how can you not understand?

With the stock sway bars, there is noticeable body roll. With aftermarket sways, there is considerably less (depending on which ones you choose). What's so hard about that?

Sway bars change how the frame of the vehicle reacts to points of stress. And guess what? The shocks, the springs, and the independant suspension arms are all attached to the frame somehow! Attached by bushings, bearings, or just a mechanical hinge. Points of wear. Some of those points can be adjusted. Do you understand now? More stress is put on some points, and less stress is put on other points.
Absolutely none of which alter the suspension geometry and none of which affect the alignment. Adding stress to certain components like the suspension linkage does not alter the alignment.

As I've said the sways actually limit the body roll which under the same conditions will limit wear. I don't think you quite understand they dynamics of what ARB's offer and do. If so explain how a sway bar puts your car out of alignment?

Let's say I have 0toe front and rear and .9neg camber front and rear. Then I put TRD's on. How does this alter it. If I drive the same will my tires wear more or less?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hey Uber,
Please take my advice and read some of those websites I linked. Your last reply was just plain fundamentally wrong. I honestly don't think you understand what a sway bar does. For everyone's sake, including your own, inform yourself. There is plenty of good info out there, use it.

IS_Dude, thanks for trying to set this topic straight, I can't keep repeating the same thing 100x in this thread. This thread is like a microcosim of this whole site. Misinformation and pointless bickering, with some actual useful information buried beneath it. It would be nice if the moderators and knowlegable people across the entire site would take a more pro-active role and stop all this rediculous crap that goes on.

BTW, body roll is somewhat reduced with aftermarket sways, but far from being eliminated. Check out this pic 8)

·
Registered
831 Posts
I think the reason the how-to guide on sway bars reccomends an alignment after you install the sway bars is because most of the time people just forget to get one beforehand :p

·
Mr. Negative
12,388 Posts
Krompir, No problem man. Just trying to make sure there's no confusion in this thread.

flproject13 said:
I think the reason the how-to guide on sway bars reccomends an alignment after you install the sway bars is because most of the time people just forget to get one beforehand :p
That might be so flproject. I usually get my car aligned every 10k or so. It depends, but it's definately more than most.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So, I am a bit confused looking at all the replies from everyone!

Do I really need the wheel alignment after all when adding the after market sway bars? My car is only 6 months old and had 11,000 km only!!!

·
Registered
422 Posts
Id say the consensus is no. Drive it a while if it feels ok then don't. If it pulls or doesnt ride well, then do.

Im planning on doing sways very soon. Like to corner pretty agressive and cant stand all the body roll. Just gotta decide on TRD or Hotchkis. Gonna wait on alignment untill after i drive it for awhile

·
Mr. Negative
12,388 Posts
If you've had your alignment checked since you purchased your car then I'd say don't worry about getting an alignment. In the same breath though, it never hurts.

I recomend getting an alignment every 15k miles if you drive spirited. I do it about every 10k miles. Sometimes sooner, sometimes later. It's worth every penny because it saves your tires and/or makes you car handle more predictable and better.

There's no hard and fast rule.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts