Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new at this stuff, so I really don't know where to begin. I'm pretty happy with the stock system, and I'm not looking to put a "system" in my car. I really would just like to enhance the bass performance by adding a subwoofer if that is possible. I don't want to change the tweeters or any of the other interior speakers, I just want to add a sub so it can hit the lows. I have stock head unit, amp, everything. Is it possible? or do I need to buy some other stuff, like an amp?

How easy is it to hook up, and what would be a good amp to drive the stock system + 10" woofer?

·
Useless
5,346 Posts
okwiater said:
I'm new at this stuff, so I really don't know where to begin. I'm pretty happy with the stock system, and I'm not looking to put a "system" in my car. I really would just like to enhance the bass performance by adding a subwoofer if that is possible. I don't want to change the tweeters or any of the other interior speakers, I just want to add a sub so it can hit the lows. I have stock head unit, amp, everything. Is it possible? or do I need to buy some other stuff, like an amp?

How easy is it to hook up, and what would be a good amp to drive the stock system + 10" woofer?
At min you need the following.

Sub(s)
Amp
LLC or hardwire option
Power, ground and other misc connection components.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay, thanks, but I'm still not sure where to start.

I bought an Infinity 1000 watt 10" sub, and that is all I have so far. Do I need an amp in addition to the factory amp, or instead of? What amp would you recommend for a completely stock audio system + 1000 watt woofer?

Considering I know very little about installing this stuff, would I be best off finding a car audio shop to do the install for me? And do I need some sort of box for the woofers, or should they go into the trunk floor or some sort of custom enclosure?

Do I want ported enclosures? I've heard a lot about "free air" but not sure exactly what it means.

Sorry for all the newbie questions, thanks for any help.

·
Registered
176 Posts
okwiater said:
Okay, thanks, but I'm still not sure where to start.

I bought an Infinity 1000 watt 10" sub, and that is all I have so far. Do I need an amp in addition to the factory amp, or instead of? What amp would you recommend for a completely stock audio system + 1000 watt woofer?

Considering I know very little about installing this stuff, would I be best off finding a car audio shop to do the install for me? And do I need some sort of box for the woofers, or should they go into the trunk floor or some sort of custom enclosure?

Do I want ported enclosures? I've heard a lot about "free air" but not sure exactly what it means.

Sorry for all the newbie questions, thanks for any help.

i think the sub you have is a 300 watt sub. 1000 watts is the peak power handling.

i would also like some feedback about adding an amp and single sub. i would like to retain as much of the trunk as i can and keep the spare tire.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
^^^ Pic seems to be broken.

I don't mind getting rid of the spare tire... are there nifty enclosures that are made to fit this space?

Yes, my sub is 250 watts with 1000 watts of peak power handling. What kind of wattage should I look for on an amp? It looks like I need a 1-channel amp, is that correct? Or do I need a 2-channel and bridge it to the factory amp? How powerful an amp do I need?

Thanks

·
8,880 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts