Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone add an additional 12v outlet? i got a garmin navi for xmas and i dont want to use the front outlet. it has the big ugly FM transmitter and its like 6in long. Then benefit of having it plugged in other the FM traffic transmitter is that it auto turns on and off with the car.

i would like to wire one of these up under/in the dash. is it possible?

12-volt Power Source Outlet

·
Registered
9 Posts
My IS came with an additional outlet in the cubby hole under the arm rest didn't yours? Or do you not want to use that one either? If not maybe mount that new one in the glove box so it will be out of sight and at the same time accessible if needed?

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My IS came with an additional outlet in the cubby hole under the arm rest didn't yours? Or do you not want to use that one either? If not maybe mount that new one in the glove box so it will be out of sight and at the same time accessible if needed?
yeah it came with it but its being used by the cell charger. plus i want one closer up front for easy routing of the wire.

im just wondering if its been done and if so what wires have people tapped into.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I tapped into the cig lighter wires, pretty simple thing to do, no need to put up a thread about it lol.

u can also use an add a fuse and piggy back it to the cig lighter fuse and get ur power there.

·
Premium Member
6,141 Posts
I bought one a Radio Shack for about $10 and tapped to my cig lighter. I tucked it inside the dash between the HU and the glove box.

You have to take the HU out, but there is a lot of space back there.

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah i guess dumb question. i already had my v1 hardwired in to the cig so i guess another 12v wont hurt. heres the installed 12v. crappy cell pic, wasn't going to get real camera for this... ill post another pic when i mount the garmin in a day or so

·
Registered
601 Posts
you will still see the wires hanging, no?
If it's permanent, extend the wires and tuck them and hide them somewhere, and tap into the existing 12V wires where the outlet is under the shifter knob. it will look clean if you do that. I did that as well, and u see about an inch of wire, lemme know if u want me to post pics..

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
you will still see the wires hanging, no?
If it's permanent, extend the wires and tuck them and hide them somewhere, and tap into the existing 12V wires where the outlet is under the shifter knob. it will look clean if you do that. I did that as well, and u see about an inch of wire, lemme know if u want me to post pics..
no you cant see any wires except the inch or 2 that comes out from the back to the unit to the wires that are all behind the dash.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts