Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone attempted to install the ML amplifier with the stock system? I would like to upgrade the rms and would like plug-n-play capabilities but I am not sure if the ML uses the same connections or not. I have found several ML amps online for GS models and I am hoping that this would plug in as well. If anyone has the ML unit, would you please update the forum with the model number so that I can compare with the ones for sale on Ebay?:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:rolleyes: I understand that the speakers are different. I would guess that Lexus would make it easy for plug-n-play and doubt that a different head unit is used. I know that ML uses a DVD player but I would guess that would be the only differences in the head unit. I had a BMW 330i beforehand without the Harkan Kardon package but BMW uses the same wiring and connections. I was able to purchase a HK amp and plug it in with no issues. It sounded much better, even with the stock speakers. So, I am hoping to do the same with the ML but I don't want to spend $400 not knowing for sure.

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
You'd be wrong if you doubt it's a different head unit- look in the manual for the A/B type head unit mentioned... some of the actual controls/features are different on the head unit- the P.Sel button for example and how it switches listener locations vs. the surround/on/off features of the ML unit.

And the ML system is a 7.1 channel system, the stock system is 4.1. It -can't- be plug and play because you have completely different speakers running in completely different ways.

You might could find a way to bridge/rewire the ML amp to send the proper signals to the sets of speakers that'd most closely match the setup, but it'd be far from plug-n-play and it'd be a lot easier to just use a normal 4.1 aftermarket amp.

Added note- the ML speakers are 8 ohm, the standard speakers are 4 ohm, that'd be another reason plug-n-play can't work

1 - 5 of 5 Posts