Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw an brand spanking new Acura RSX Type S parked at my gym today, so I decided to take a closer look. I don't like the exterior of the car at all. It looks like a ford focus.. and some parts of the car look like a Celica. Although the Celica looks much better than the RSX IMO. But the interior -- All I can say is WOW! From what I saw, the interior looked really nice and sporty..chrome, graphite (sorta like out beloved IS). Nice instrument panels. I really like the interior.

Anyways, just thought I'd let everyone know my first impressions of the car.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Have you driven one? I thought it'd be crap and Honda was stupid for making it but its pretty nice. Handles quiet well and much better then I had expected. Outside is kind of subtle but I like it. Interior is really nice. I do think its looks a bit too compact.

·
Premium Member
8,107 Posts
The Type R version in Japan looks pretty cool, but the US version looks dorky - it needs bigger wheels, body kit & spoiler before it looks like a real car.
It's 700 lb lighter than the IS300, don't race them.

·
Premium Member
8,107 Posts
Well, I wouldn't get too excited, probably the driver was keeping it under 4000 rpms. Or it was a 160 hp base model.

Originally posted by TurboIS:
Already DID... Sorry RSX... I guess 3cars and the move was not enough...

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
ckolsen...are you missing the fact that TurboIS has the XS Engineering turbocharger in his car? I thought that might effect the situation a little bit? I would call that race more like a rape instead of a win. RSX got nothing on TurboIS.

·
Premium Member
8,107 Posts
yeah, it occurred to me, he might have a turbo, but he doesn't have it in his signature. Anyway, I think putting a turbo on your IS300 and then bragging about beating stock cars on break-in periods is just as lame.

Originally posted by DarkzIS300:
ckolsen...are you missing the fact that TurboIS has the XS Engineering turbocharger in his car? I thought that might effect the situation a little bit? I would call that race more like a rape instead of a win. RSX got nothing on TurboIS.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hey guys, i work at a Keyes Honda. We also have a Keyes Acura, so i decided to go test drive and see what the new integra's all about. I salesman there was really cool and business was dead, so i ended up drivng both the base model and the type s.

The base model had 160 hp, and i'd say its between the old GS and GSR, nothing to special, the engine sounds okay. Enough said.

On to the real car, the Type S. First, all RSXs have a 5-lug bolt pattern, i was trying hard to see any realy visual differences between the two, the only real way to tell from what i can see is that the SOME colors are exclusive to the RSX. ANYWAYS, i think they stole the transmission from the S2000, real short-shifting and nice, i hope the 2002 IS manual will feel as nice. You can really tell its a Honda engine. THe new i-VTEC helps alot more with the low-end than the old VTEC, but trust me this definately does NOT have a strong low-end. High-end you can really feel the thing pull, and it does feel like it has 200 hp, the engine sounds great at high rpm, throttle response is great at high rpm.

I don't know how well it will do against our car. First, we have a bit more HP and a lot more torque. But, we are also a LOT heavier.
So technically we may win in the end, but the RSX revs HIGH. I remember when there was a comparison with a A51 Supercharged IS vs. the new M3, some speculated that with close hp and a lot more torque, the IS may win. But the only problem is, is that high revving engines keep pulling hard for a long time, even though they don't have a lot of torque. But all in all, even if it is slighty faster, i would never get an RSX over our IS

·
Registered
19 Posts
Originally posted by FutureISOwner:
does anyone know the 0-60 time on an RSX? and what is everyone's opinions on the RSX-S as a mid $20,000 car?
C/D magazine : Acura RSX 0-60 mph 6.1 sec
1/4-mile 14.8 [email protected] 95 mpH!!!! That's pretty dame fast!

Actually, I'll buy one if I have enough money...

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
Originally posted by scart:
C/D magazine : Acura RSX 0-60 mph 6.1 sec
1/4-mile 14.8 [email protected] 95 mpH!!!! That's pretty dame fast!

Actually, I'll buy one if I have enough money...
yes but how many people out there truly know how to drive that good?
I thought i was pretty decent on shifting til I saw how its suppose to be done

·
Registered
38 Posts
From what i know, and I could very well be wrong, is that when companies test their own cars, they don't power shift, or power brake or rev the engines up and pop the clutch in, or anything else that would effect the reliability or cause a lot of wear. I don't know who i heard this from, but i know i heard it from one than one source. But when, say Car and Driver, or Sport Compact Car gets a hold of one, they can do whatever they want since

1. they couldn't care less about wear and tear since its a one time test
2. they do not represent any company.

Once again i could be wrong, in which case ignore me

·
Registered
163 Posts
so far...
i have seen...
2 silver (1 have kit on), 1 blue, 1 goldish color...
i feel that car is like squeezed...
i think the tailights are not bad... the interior is just like the celicas...
oh well...

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
i saw one on the road.. my friend thought it was an integra(it was dark outside).. when i took a closer look at it.. oh my lord was it ugly.. that car needs to be lowered at least 2 inches before it could try to look good.. my first impression was "that car looks cheap".. just my thought

·
Registered
180 Posts
0-60 in 6.1 secs is pretty damn fast! Even if they do kill the car, I suppose they use the same techniques when they test all their cars. That's the same time they pulled from a 330 with manual. It'll kill our IS', at least until we get a manual.

·
Founder
8,708 Posts
Was at an Acura dealer yesterday test-driving the MDX and I poked around an RSX on the lot. The interior is choice. They went the Audi TT/VW Beetle route with the aluminum trims and the perforated rubber-like textures. VERY cool. I think the looks are kinda bland, especially in the basic trims, but honestly, that spoiler adds a lot - I didn't see one on the lot like that.

Oh, and I did the RSX vs. IS comparison just for kicks and the funny thing I saw was the turning radius of the RSX is 4" bigger than the IS with the IS being just over 4" longer...

[ July 08, 2001: Message edited by: webmaster ]

1 - 20 of 56 Posts