Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Motor Trend did a comparison test between the Acura MDX, BMW X5, and Lexus RX300. They gave the X5 a C+, the RX a B+, and the MDX an A+. I'm going to go test drive an MDX next week to see if it's as good as Motor Trend says.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Back looks like a Pathfinder, rims straight from the Grand Cherokee/X5, and the front looks like it has a double chin.

I agree with wazzup that the MDX is the ugliest of the bunch. Anyone seenthe X5 with the 20" rims? they look nice!!!!!

·
Registered
272 Posts
Originally posted by wazzup:
...but hell I think the MDX is the uglist one of the bunch.
I agree. By far the MDX is the worst styling job done by acura, who imo usually do a good job. I have issues with the whole SUV thing anyway. I believe SUV's should be built for roughed durability not for luxury.

·
Registered
424 Posts
IMO, MDX doesn't look that bad to me. The rear syling is a bit generic but the front looks pretty cool. At least it looks better than the Acura TL.

Though I am a Lexus fan which favors RX300 over Acura MDX, I still think this Acura newcomer is better in some aspects..

Should be interestng to see how well MDX sells in comparision to RX300..

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I'm with you guys. Acura seriously needs some new designers. The MDX, like the CL, is one of the ugliest things on the road.
Toyota sets the benchmark, others play catch up. I'd still go for the RX300 over the MDX. I saw a 2001 with a Navigation system a couple of weeks ago...I'm pretty sure it's gonna retain the best selling luxury SUV title. It's a great package overall.

black/ivory
17"

·
Registered
571 Posts
I hate SUVS and will probably never get one, but Acura cramming in 7 seats in the semi-SUV they call the MDX is kinda cool, and I think they're the only car of the bunch with such a feature.

So, if you have 6 other people to haul around and want that small-suv look, an MDX would attract you (I still wouldn't get it, an S2000 and IS300 will do fine carrying all of 'em)

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Originally posted by vvtipwr:
I hate SUVS and will probably never get one, but Acura cramming in 7 seats in the semi-SUV they call the MDX is kinda cool, and I think they're the only car of the bunch with such a feature.

So, if you have 6 other people to haul around and want that small-suv look, an MDX would attract you (I still wouldn't get it, an S2000 and IS300 will do fine carrying all of 'em)
Even though the MDX has an additional row of seats there is absolutely no leg room, or at least none for adults. I think that 3rd row of seating is for children or for tiny adults prepared to go on a short 5 mile trip. Think of the 3rd row of seating like the rear seats in say a Porsche 911/944.
Eric...

·
Registered
10,281 Posts
Originally posted by hasanazhar:
I'm with you guys. Acura seriously needs some new designers. The MDX, like the CL, is one of the ugliest things on the road.
Toyota sets the benchmark, others play catch up. I'd still go for the RX300 over the MDX. I saw a 2001 with a Navigation system a couple of weeks ago...I'm pretty sure it's gonna retain the best selling luxury SUV title. It's a great package overall.

black/ivory
17"
u people should realize -- someday -- that esthetics are completely SUBjective. ever since I've had my cl-s, I've had five people (two weeks elapsed time), come up and ask me about it and say very positive things about the car.

if anythingi is universally ugly, let's discuss the hoopty is300 taillights that you can find ad infinitum on just about every '94 riceboy accord. what a horrible design mistake.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Yea Geoff, I hear the lines are out the door for CL taillights and knock off accessories.

Originally posted by geoff:
if anythingi is universally ugly, let's discuss the hoopty is300 taillights that you can find ad infinitum on just about every '94 riceboy accord. what a horrible design mistake.

·
Founder
8,708 Posts
How can something that is imitated so widely (and thus flattered) be a design mistake?

------------------
Tony
'01 Spectra Blue
'94 Turbo Miata

·
Founder
8,708 Posts
I have a deposit down on the new MDX, but I probably won't be getting it since our Land Rover lease is pretty upside down right now. But here's why my wife and I really like it:

1) It's a mid-size suv with three rows of seats. With two car seats in the middle row, you need somewhere to take some people along with you sometimes. AND both the second row and the third row fold completely into the floor. Yielding room for a 4x8 sheet of plywood between the wheel wells. Nice.

2) Nice V6 engine with something like 90% of peak torque available from 2k rpms on. Very nice engine specs.

3) Acura Navigation is one of the best systems around.

There are other reasons, but those are probably the major ones. Size wise, the MDX is shorter than the Dodge Durango, but wider...

------------------
Tony
'01 Spectra Blue
'94 Turbo Miata

·
Registered
10,281 Posts
Originally posted by brad:
Yea Geoff, I hear the lines are out the door for CL taillights and knock off accessories.

cl taillights are standard taillights. why would there be lines out the door for something like that? i hear there ARE long lines, however, for the is300 taillights. there are a lot of ricey teens, u know.

for me, the big ugly spot of the is300 is the taillights. i was bummed when i found i could not option those out.

btw, while i was in long beach, i saw five is300s...u never see that many around here.

·
Registered
10,281 Posts
Originally posted by EricK:
Is it just me or does the back of the CL-s remind you of a Chrysler product?
Eric..
it's just you

how's your autodimming mirror? oh wait, u don't have one. how about the real leather? oh wait, u don't have that either. how about that electronic seat memory? oh --

-- nevermind.

·
Registered
10,281 Posts
Originally posted by webmaster:
How can something that is imitated so widely (and thus flattered) be a design mistake?

"thus flattered?"

i see millions of teens wearing their pants halfway down their ass. i suppose that given the sheer numbers, and the numerous lines of clothing making items that fit that bill, this is not a mistake -- it's good fashion. the market validates it, thus it must be good? please. the market validates crap day in and day out -- look at DIVX, for example. that eventually died the horrible death it deserved, but not without first selling hundreds of thousands of units to suckers.

[This message has been edited by geoff (edited October 05, 2000).]

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Originally posted by EricK:
Is it just me or does the back of the CL-s remind you of a Chrysler product?
Eric..
It looks just like the 1995-2000 Chrysler Sebring coupe.

·
Founder
8,708 Posts
"thus flattered?"
"Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery."

the market validates it, thus it must be good? please. the market validates crap day in and day out -- look at DIVX, for example.
The market did validate DIVX. By killing it.

------------------
Tony
'01 Spectra Blue
'94 Turbo Miata

·
Founder
8,708 Posts
cl taillights are standard taillights. why would there be lines out the door for something like that?
Exactly. If you want standard taillights, hey, go for it.

------------------
Tony
'01 Spectra Blue
'94 Turbo Miata

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
About this Discussion
55 Replies
20 Participants
geoff
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing