Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that the acura is a two door and the lexus is 4. But these are the two cars that I want, but I can only have one. Price is not an option. My friend has a Type S and I love it but I like the looks of the Lexus more but I need input. Thanks

·
Registered
387 Posts
OH NO!!!!

a flame bit that will burn down a forest!!!!

I don't think any type of protection will prevent you from getting burned.

be prepared.

or you can do some search before you post this new topic.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Well, it depends on what you want. The CL type-s will be a faster car. But the IS300 handles better. I think the IS300 is more fun to drive. The CL is not a sports coupe but more of a luxury coupe.

I drive a TL and I love every mile that I put on it. However I do have lots to say about the quality issues with the Acura. Not to mention those assO that I have to deal in the servise dept. I don't know about Lexus too much, but two of my friends got the IS300 seems to be happy.

But you have to keep this in mind. The IS300 is not that fast. I raced with my friend and My TL is a little bit faster. Who wins really depends on who got a better lauch. So if you want a fast car, wait for the manual IS300...

I really don't wanna bash Acura because I drive one myself. But I really don't like the style of the CL. Why don't you consider the TL-S. It's got the CL looking front and a better looking tail IMHO. Personally I will never buy an Acura again!!! But that's not because their car, it's more about their services.

The bottom line is that CL-S is a FWD, it's faster, but handles like $hit. Can't argue that. On the other hand, the IS300 handles better, but is not really a fast car in my book. I would wait for the TL-S or the manual IS300... But it's up to you...

Oh... the manual over-ride +/- shift mode is WAY BETTER on the Acura compared to the crap they have on the IS... Seriously, My friends and I hate it at least. And the Acura have the controls on the steering wheel while the IS don't. The controls on the steering wheel find on the Acura is not as good as the BMW, Volvo, or Mercedes, but it's better than nothing.

After all, they are both very nice cars. You will enjoy either one of them...

·
Registered
81 Posts
Oh... forgot to mention that even thought the E-shift is not that good, but you can always shift with the Ferrari like stick. Just use 1-2-3, That's good enough in most situations. I heard that the M will get you into the 5th year. So my friend said that he had to go like 1-2-3-M. And as soon as he hit M, which will shift to the 5th gear, he had to press the downshift to shift it back to 4th.

You will get use to it somehow.. My friends did. And a female friend of mind got the Celica GT-S and she had no problem with the E-shift. So it really depends on the driver...

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The reason for the vast difference in the cars that I like are because of the design. I like the looks of both of them but what I really wanted to know was did anyone have a CL and trade it in for a IS300 or vise versa. That way I can find out what the differences with ride feel and comfort. I know that the Acura is faster and more luxiorious than the IS but I already knew that. I also knew that the CL is front and the IS is rear but that again is not the argument. They are both nice cars that attract me to them due to styling. They cost about the same and this the forum to do that. Its full of opinions.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did test drive both of them. But I was wondering if I am going to keep this car for lets say 5 years which one would be the one to keep. Keep in mind I am married but I am young.

·
Registered
81 Posts
If you want to keep the car for 5year+ go with the IS300. I think the IS300 will still look good after 5 years, but not the CL-S.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Rear Wheel Drive vs Front Wheel Drive.

Made in Japan vs Made in US.

4 Doors vs 2 Doors.

Designed and Engineered mostly in Japan vs mostly in US.

Sold in Japan, Europe + etc vs North America.

Short overhang & long wheelbase vs long overhang.

I think there were about a dozen older posts on this issue.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
*scott covers his eyes as he cannot bare to look...*

I give the thread credit for lasting this long without any flame wars or name calling... good job, folks!
heh heh...

Scott.

------------------
...yet another proud owner of a fully loaded Graphite Gray Pearl '01 IS300

·
Registered
7,386 Posts
Okie Dokie! Let me get it started just because I'm bored...

...Acura CL-S = Lame handling, front wheel drive, overweight, luxury boat. Good in straight line but that's about it.

IS300 = Beautiful looks, 4 doors, rear wheel drive, relatively weak power, automatic (lame), not so good in snow or on ice, and right now you should be able to get one cheap!

BUT this is all my opinion, and very subjective so buy the one that fits your needs. No matter how ugly or beautiful the car may be, there's always a buyer for it.

Good luck!

------------------
MAD

·
Registered
37 Posts
You can't go wrong with either one of them. The CLS is quick and has more standard equipment (memory seating, heated seats...etc). I can't think of an automatic car in it's price segment that is faster. Of course with over 60% of its weight place in the front of the car, it understeers when pushing hard, but it handles pretty well for a front driver. The IS, on the other hand, is not as quick, but it's a beautifully balanced car. The brakes are a lot stronger than the CLS's, and the steering feels very direct. And personally, I think the IS looks tighter and sharper than the CLS. To me, good handling and braking is more important than speed, and that's why we chose the IS for my wife. Hope this helps.

Good luck

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
When I posted this all I wanted to do is find someone like (Pimpn IS300 LV) and ask him/her which car they drive more and which one they would buy again. I understand the differences between the two of them. I wanted to find someone that had both and could inform me which one THEY liked more. I was leaning toward the IS300 because of the 4 doors and the better styling, at least that is what I think of it.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Originally posted by SL1200MK4:
If you want to keep the car for 5year+ go with the IS300. I think the IS300 will still look good after 5 years, but not the CL-S.

Agreed. I'd go w/ the Lexus in a long term
deal. Except for Integras, I don't think Acuras age that well...just my opinion.
-fomer Acura owner

------------------
2001 Graphite/Black on Polished Graphite

·
Registered
259 Posts
Wow, I think this is the best review I've ever read from an IS owner of the CL Type S/IS300 comparison.

WTG

Originally posted by IS300_SILVER:
You can't go wrong with either one of them. The CLS is quick and has more standard equipment (memory seating, heated seats...etc). I can't think of an automatic car in it's price segment that is faster. Of course with over 60% of its weight place in the front of the car, it understeers when pushing hard, but it handles pretty well for a front driver. The IS, on the other hand, is not as quick, but it's a beautifully balanced car. The brakes are a lot stronger than the CLS's, and the steering feels very direct. And personally, I think the IS looks tighter and sharper than the CLS. To me, good handling and braking is more important than speed, and that's why we chose the IS for my wife. Hope this helps.

Good luck

------------------
Kenny
3.2 TL

·
Registered
112 Posts
Originally posted by CalifasLexo:

Agreed. I'd go w/ the Lexus in a long term
deal. Except for Integras, I don't think Acuras age that well...just my opinion.
-fomer Acura owner

I don't know about that. I would argue that the Tegs are the least reliable of the crew. Come on over to the Legend Fourms and see how few the reliability complaints are. There are plenty of first generation owners with 200K+ miles and most of the G2 owners have more than 100K. What it really comes down to is how hard the car has been driven and how up to date the maintanence is. Either the Ac or the Lex will last as long as you want it to, both easily over 5 years.

·
Registered
204 Posts
No offense IS owners BUT:

Passive styling outlasts agrressive styling.

In other words the IS300 flashiness will wear away fast especially when Lexus puts out a new model. What I like most about passive styling is the car resist's it's age this way.

My fiancee leased a silver IS300 so don't start flaming me.

·
15,322 Posts
well...
CL-S vs IS300...
Curves; IS300
Poise & Composure; IS300
Bikini; IS300
Brains/personality;IS300
Fast; CL-S
No Kids; CL-S
Luxurious Seats; CL-S
Front Wheel (top heavy); CL-S

well, lets put it this way, you date a CL-S and you Drive an IS home.

(sorry, meant as joke, might not make no sense- you date a ___ girl cause shes fast, but you marry the nice one
)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
About this Discussion
20 Replies
15 Participants
LegendC
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing