Copy your topic title and paste it into the search engine

Step Two:
Enjoy hours worth of reading on the subject

Step Three:
Decide

·
Registered
301 Posts
The CL (or TL) and the IS300 are really different cars. It really comes down to driver preference between these cars.

First off, I'll assume you mean the Type-S, so I'll compare with that in mind.

CL (or TL) Type-S
Pros:
1. More HP (260HP)
2. Faster in a straight line (stock CL vs stock IS)
3. Less Expensive to buy
4. Softer Ride
5. Better Gas Mileage than the IS300.
Cons:
1. Front Wheel Drive
2. Bad Handling
3. Average Styling (looks like an accord)

IS300
Pros:
1. Rear Wheel Drive
2. Great Handling
3. Much Faster through curves (autoX)
4. A true tuner’s car with more total HP potential (2JZ-GE engine).
5. Unique Styling (looks great IMO)
Cons:
1. Bad Gas mileage
2. Small Trunk
3. Bad Rear-Seat Leg room

Both are great cars, they are just suited for different people.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Step 1:

Go to the dealerships and test drive both

Step 2:

Decide for yourself since you're the one buying the car

Noody here is you so their opinion should carry no real value in your decision.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just read over on acura-cl.com that Autoweek is reporting 6-speed tranny to be available in the TL-S and CL-S sometime later in the year.
I know the CL is a front wheel drive vehicle, but a 6-speed could vastly improve the pleasure of driving a 260HP CL-S.
I still prefer the look of the IS and I find the IS more fun to drive.
One really big weakness I find in the CL is the weak Bose system. A great stereo is important to me to help combat the brutal commute I deal with on a daily basis.
Later-
PNC

·
Registered
6,544 Posts
Originally posted by PhatNastyCat:
I just read over on acura-cl.com that Autoweek is reporting 6-speed tranny to be available in the TL-S and CL-S sometime later in the year.
I know the CL is a front wheel drive vehicle, but a 6-speed could vastly improve the pleasure of driving a 260HP CL-S.
I still prefer the look of the IS and I find the IS more fun to drive.
One really big weakness I find in the CL is the weak Bose system. A great stereo is important to me to help combat the brutal commute I deal with on a daily basis.
Later-
PNC
the same type of rumor was made before the release of the TL-S

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
I went through the same dilema. But after comparing I decided i didn't like the CL-S cause it started looking ugly after awhile, IMO of course. I like the accord coupe or solara's styling better than the CL's style.

·
Registered
201 Posts
All these suggestions are very valid. I'll throw in my 2 cents (Canadian fund, not worth much
)

If you're used to RWD, then you might find it hard to adjust (I do anyway) to FWD. But if you are coming from a FWD car, then you'll like RWD a lot.

Also, depends on how much room you need or used to in a car. The IS300 is definitely on the small side. Some people might find the IS too confined. The CL is more comfortable for long commutes.

They are both nice cars. But the IS is more fun in tight cut-and-thrust city streets than the CL.

Definitely do a test drive as many people here have suggested. That's part of the fun of buying a new car. Good luck in your choice.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
test drve them both today and i love them both. i love the triptronic shifting on the sifter its awesome i wish the is300 had it th cl is a bigger car but the is looks nices i still cant decide and what might do it for me is that i got a great deal on a is300 IM TALKING GREAT

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Originally posted by soulstalker:
The CL (or TL) and the IS300 are really different cars. It really comes down to driver preference between these cars.

First off, I'll assume you mean the Type-S, so I'll compare with that in mind.

CL (or TL) Type-S
Pros:
1. More HP (260HP)
2. Faster in a straight line (stock CL vs stock IS)
3. Less Expensive to buy
4. Softer Ride
5. Better Gas Mileage than the IS300.
Cons:
1. Front Wheel Drive
2. Bad Handling
3. Average Styling (looks like an accord)

IS300
Pros:
1. Rear Wheel Drive
2. Great Handling
3. Much Faster through curves (autoX)
4. A true tuner’s car with more total HP potential (2JZ-GE engine).
5. Unique Styling (looks great IMO)
Cons:
1. Bad Gas mileage
2. Small Trunk
3. Bad Rear-Seat Leg room

Both are great cars, they are just suited for different people.
That seems like a very fair comparism.

I'm biased cuz I have a CL-S, but I'd say go w/ the CL-S you can easily spend less than $300 to mod(springs) your CL-S to be able to hang w/ the IS in the twisties. + no nasty Altezzas HAHA JOKE dont flame me.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Originally posted by Iridium130:
you can easily spend less than $300 to mod(springs) your CL-S to be able to hang w/ the IS in the twisties.
Yeah, right!

Do I hear a canyon run/AutoX screaming my name?

[ May 13, 2001: Message edited by: DtEW ]

·
Registered
33 Posts
If you have style, the IS is for you. But if you dont care about style and just want a fast car for pretty cheap then the cl is for you. Lexus is luxury.

·
Registered
6,544 Posts
Originally posted by Iridium130:
That seems like a very fair comparism.

I'm biased cuz I have a CL-S, but I'd say go w/ the CL-S you can easily spend less than $300 to mod(springs) your CL-S to be able to hang w/ the IS in the twisties. + no nasty Altezzas HAHA JOKE dont flame me.
springs will not improve a CL-S THAT MUCH!
wake up chen!

·
Registered
816 Posts
Relative to the electronic gadgetry/creature features of the CL-S, I might not call the IS300 luxurious.

I would, however, call it refined, as in sounding/feeling "right" and thoroughly solid at every switch, knob, button, control, etc. From the overall structure to the smallest details, everything is solidly built w/no squeeks, rattles, or other "lack of refinement" that detract from the enjoyment of just *driving*. (Isn't that really what one's supposed to be doing in a car anyways?
)

·
Registered
201 Posts
Price is also another consideration. CL-S has a really good value compare to the IS. The IS can get expensive if you out-fit it to match the equipment levels of the CL-S. If price is not a major consideration, then I'd pick the IS over the CL-S even though the IS is slower. I just like the nimbleness and the rear-wheel-drive configeratin that much better over the CL-S.

But of cause, either car is nice. I wouldn't mind to have either one in my garage.

An aside, I have seen more IS300s on the road in Toronto lately, but it seems the majority of the IS300s are being driven by middle aged male with family in the back seat. This statement isn't meant to be provocative or anything, but maybe the IS is also attracting older generation than the typical early twenty-something owners we have on this board. Or is it because not enough "young" folks in T.O. do not have as much money to buy the car as our brethrens in the U.S.?

·
Registered
816 Posts
Originally posted by SteveB:
Price is also another consideration. CL-S has a really good value compare to the IS.
That's only if one completely ignores the increased cost and complexity of building a RWD chassis/drivetrain. Taking the IS300 and CL out of the picture, the average RWD car costs around $10K more than its FWD counterpart (given similar dispacement/power, size and class.)

(The somewhat higher cost of building the IS300's inline-6 is nullified with the incorporation of VTEC into the CL's V6, so that's a moot point.)

The RWD I6 offers things that no FWD V6 can achieve. But likewise vice versa, so you need to fully understand which set of features/advantages you value more.

The IS can get expensive if you out-fit it to match the equipment levels of the CL-S.
By equipment you mean creature features and not any of the inherent features of these vehicles, such as the IS300's drivetrain and balance, or the CL-S's power output and interior space. We can't outfit the IS300 w/the CL-S's power output or interior space, nor can the CL-S be outfitted with the IS300's drivetrain or balance. There is no point of commonality at which a value comparison (which includes not only the cost of the creature features, but of the inherent features of the car itself) is possible. It is the proverbial comparison between apples and oranges.

An aside, I have seen more IS300s on the road in Toronto lately, but it seems the majority of the IS300s are being driven by middle aged male with family in the back seat. This statement isn't meant to be provocative or anything, but maybe the IS is also attracting older generation than the typical early twenty-something owners we have on this board. Or is it because not enough "young" folks in T.O. do not have as much money to buy the car as our brethrens in the U.S.?
I think the older IS300 enthusiasts on both sides of the border see the IS300 as a Miata sedan. It's hard to describe the fascination w/the Miata w/o bringing up the old MG's and Bugeye Sprites of their youth. There is a certain romance to a small and nimble RWD "driver's car" that is often lost on the younger IS300 enthusiasts, who tend to see what the car is as a means to achieve some level of performance (witness the fascination w/FI kits and track/quarter-mile times), and not as an end in itself (nobody talks about taking PCH to Big Sur, or through the vineyard-dotted Napa Valley.)

Perhaps a small RWD car is not the best means to achieve the level of desired performance (quarter-mile?) in Toronto.

The vast majority of IS300's I see down here in Los Angeles are driven by 20-somethings like myself. *shrugs*

[ May 13, 2001: Message edited by: DtEW ]

·
Registered
56 Posts
When the posted turn sign on the road says "15mph", do you wanna go 40 mph or do you want to stay at 15mph? That's where I made my decision.

·
Registered
816 Posts
lexus300, one more note, in case this observation of human nature hasn't dawned on you:

People who are truly satisfied with their purchase decision don't have to constantly justify that decision by telling others (and themselves in the process) about how bad or undersireable the choice-not-taken is. The only thing that'll come from happy owners is how much and why they love their car.

In other words, if one is happy one's not going to care enough about the close competition to be a hater. It's not like the haters got screwed or was somehow offended by the competition. So why the hate?

Both the CL-S and IS300 are great cars that both represent good value for your money. However, the intent of these cars are very different, and neither single car will fit everybody. In order for you to make the right decision that will truly satisfy, you must determine what you really enjoy about a car. The real answer may not be the most obvious, so take your time and find out more about both cars at the dealership, from the reviews of automotive journalists (who often compare more cars in a year than we will ever do in a lifetime), and on these owners' forums.

[ May 14, 2001: Message edited by: DtEW ]

·
Registered
1 Posts
I agree with Lexus_IS300, I own a 540i and a Acura TL. In the past, I was a biggot...I admit and use to talk a lot of smack about the IS300 til I got the chance to drive one.

In regards to springs, that alone will not improve the handling of the TL/CL, I added sway bars and fatter rubbers (let alone sticky sports tires). This improved my handling a great deal. However, in twisties, the IS will outperform the TL/CL with springs/sways/and fatter rubbers IMO.

Someone here mentioned that it boils down to driver preference in which I agree 100%. I found many things I liked about the IS but also many that I didn't. This is also true about the CL/TL. I like the aggressive stance and looks of the IS, but don't like the interior, opposite of the TL where I like the interior but the style is not nearly as agressive or sporty as the IS.

In respect to both cars, they are both great at what they were meant to be. I think the IS is the closest thing to the 330i which Lexus I assume was targeting to begin with. You have a FWD vs. RWD car so it's kinda hard to compare apples to apples. The IS will not have the luxury of the GS IMO, but then I don't think it was meant to.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts