Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Read this in Automotive News.

An active steering traction control will debut in the next generation GS. This system eliminates the need to countersteer during slippage because the computer will detect slippage and control the steering on the driver's behalf. This system will work in conjuction with traditional form of traction control, such as computer controlled braking and reduction in throttle. I think this is a pretty remarkable development, one that rivals the arrival of traditional traction control. The article does not mention the IS, but I am pretty sure that safety features such as this will find its way into all models in the Lexus lineup.

Can't wait for the next generation of the IS. Smaller and more nimble version of the GS with all tech goodies... I think they will also have an enhanced performance version available, much like the "M" series in BMW. Yeah, we will most likely lose the inline 6... which is a shame.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Excellent! A sports sedan that takes control in place of the driver, in hopes to make the driver forget he's controlling a 1.5 ton vehicle. I can see my grandpa jumping up and down for joy now. :-?

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
we'll see. VSC barely made it into the IS, and only as of lately. active steering sounds a little shady for the IS. More of some "dummy" LS430 feature. VSC works very nicely as it is... and seems more of a safety feature and not a "you jackass, you put your car into a spin. get the hell out of the drivers seat you moron and i will drive it for you" - says the on-board computer :lol:

and i'm not being negative. just my opinion. sales of the IS were already stated as being "disappointing" for Lexus. If they add stuff like this, it will just drive up the price even more. everything in the IS ends up being a hand-me-down from their baby, the LS :( but face it, it's the car that made Lexus famous in 1990

when the IS came out in 2001 it didn't even have an armrest. they tried to stay with the basics, and just now are starting to add some luxury features. I.E. recently full leather, memory seats, ('02 armrest)... dvd nav.

And the only way the IS will compete with the M series BMWs is with a V8. Even Audi couldn't keep up with a bi-turbo 2.7L. It was still 83hp short of the M3. :cry: I don't think Toyota can get over 330hp out of an N/A 6 cyl. BMW is famous for pulling power out of their asses in N/A motors. They would take the "ultimate" when coming to N/A tuning out of the box.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
sleepy said:
Excellent! A sports sedan that takes control in place of the driver, in hopes to make the driver forget he's controlling a 1.5 ton vehicle. I can see my grandpa jumping up and down for joy now. :-?
:lol: exactly my point :lol:

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
It will be a good feature if it's optional and one has the ability to turn it on and off, like TRAC. I doubt this will be in the next gen IS since this a fairly new luxury feature debuting on the new GS. It may trickle down in a few years though.

I just wished TOYOTA would release the Altezza as an Altezza.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
good point crontab. i would like it more if it was on/off capable. right now, I have VSC and I can't turn it off. <-- :bitching:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.