Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i did a search for this but came up with nothing...

i picked up my car on friday and today i washed it b/c it was dusty and i still have that new-car-anal-retentiveness thing going on. when looked at in the right light, my front hood has all sorts of little white water spots on it that won't come off. i tried wiping them off with a wet cloth and also used some spray polish stuff without success... could these be acid rain spots that aren't gonna come off? If they are i'll be pissed!! :pissed:

i'm calling the dealer tomorrow and telling them i expect whatever it is to be fixed.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
I think it's reasonable to expect your new car to not have any water spots, but you will get them again I'm sure.

A good polish should get them out, a good wax will prevent new ones.

Really tough spots can be fixed with 3M Perfect-It or Meguiars Swirl Remover.

Read this for some good tips: http://properautocare.com/freguidtodet.html

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the dealer wanted to sell me a $500 treatment for my car when i bought it... some kind of teflon crap that resisted acid rain, tar, bird crap, etc etc.

that seems like a ton of cash to shell out for a paint treatment...

i'll read over that link and get some good wax and go to work.. nothing like a little elbow grease to solve the problem 8)

thanks for the help...

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
That Teflon stuff is BS. Teflon won't bond to your paint any more than a good wax.

Lots of people here will tell you to get Zaino, which is a great polish but not really on black. It doesn't give that really deep wet look on a black car.

If you want to wax your car every month, try Pinnacle Souveran paste. Most people would agree it's the best, it just doesn't last as long as some others.

If you don't want to spend so much time waxing, try Klasse or Blackfire.

You can get all these from properautocare.com

·
Registered
441 Posts
ISthree00 said:
the dealer wanted to sell me a $500 treatment for my car when i bought it... some kind of teflon crap that resisted acid rain, tar, bird crap, etc etc.

i'll read over that link and get some good wax and go to work.. nothing like a little elbow grease to solve the problem 8)

thanks for the help...
Hey, I work at a car dealership and most of the vehicles come with plastic wrap on the hoods, roof and trunk to prevent this sort of thing. However we have a lot of cases where the salesman peel off this wrap and acid rain takes its place etching the brand new painted surface. It can probably be buffed out with a light polishing compound (3M SMR) if the car wasnt sitting on the lot that long. However we have had 02 landcruisers on the lot for a while that needed wetsanding because of the water spots. However most dealers i see treat re-details really poorly (when a customer refuses a delivery because of swirls or water spots). They usually give it to some $6 an hour wash boy and he goes to town with a high-speed rotary buffer and usually makes the paint look worse with buffer burns and swirls from the dirty towels. I dunno, just make sure you see the car in the sunlight after they redetail it, and then look into a quality paint sealant like Zaino. Personally I would buff it myself, i never let the dealer touch my paint.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
AlBoston said:
ISthree00 said:

thanks for the help...
Hey, I work at a car dealership and most of the vehicles come with plastic wrap on the hoods, roof and trunk to prevent this sort of thing. However we have a lot of cases where the salesman peel off this wrap and acid rain takes its place etching the brand new painted surface. It can probably be buffed out with a light polishing compound (3M SMR) if the car wasnt sitting on the lot that long. However we have had 02 landcruisers on the lot for a while that needed wetsanding because of the water spots. However most dealers i see treat re-details really poorly (when a customer refuses a delivery because of swirls or water spots). They usually give it to some $6 an hour wash boy and he goes to town with a high-speed rotary buffer and usually makes the paint look worse with buffer burns and swirls from the dirty towels. I dunno, just make sure you see the car in the sunlight after they redetail it, and then look into a quality paint sealant like Zaino. Personally I would buff it myself, i never let the dealer touch my paint.
i know nothing about proper detailing procedures... i'm reading this link ATLDave pasted to try and learn more. i might just call my dealer and tell them i'd like a re-detail and i want it done RIGHT and professionally (oh and FREE too :wink: )

are all dealers that bad that you wouldn't let 'em touch your paint??

PS - what are swirls? thanks!

·
Registered
28,808 Posts
You have a black car. If you park outside, get used to it. I wax my car every other week, and wash it maybe once a week. It usually looks dirty the very next day.

·
Registered
66 Posts
had glaze (mothers products makes it) your car. (use the liquid type) it will take swirls and marks out of the clear coat. then use a good wax to cover it. use a very soft cloth.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
7 Participants
firedoggnl
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing