Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a used 2002 IS 300. The car has an automatic transmission, 86k miles, and is in good overall shape. But recently when I have tried to accelerate quickly from a standing stop it takes a second or two to move(delayed acceleration). It accelerates fine if I ease the gas pedal down but as I begin to accelerate it shifts from first to second to third gear before the car hits 20mph. It seems like shifting is occuring around 2000rpm and will not rev passed that mark until I'm in 5th gear. So needless to say the acceleration is rather slow. Finally a couple of days ago the car took three cranks to fully start. I've checked the transmission fluid and it is full, a good color, and smell. Not sure what could possibly be the problem. If you all have any suggestions they would be greatly appreciated.

Aaron

·
Registered
292 Posts
There are couple of things you need to check too other then trans fluid
1) have you change your spark plugs/wires recently? are they well maintain?
2) differential oil? or all other kinds of oil?
3) have you clean the MAF? when you clean be careful with the needle attached with the sensor (very fragile)
4) did you clean the intake filter regularly? (make sure no blockage)
5) very last---you could reset your ECU as well to readjustment it

hope those tips help you solve your problem, good luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Diff Oil Change and Spark Plugs

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I just cleaned the MAF sensor and temp sensor and am waiting for it to dry before I drive. Would you all recommend I take it into a dealer if I am going to get the diff oil changed? I want to make sure the correct kind/amount is used. Also what should I look for when inspecting the spark plug wires and plugs? I may just go ahead and change those. Also what would a filter block look like and what should I use to clean it. Thank you all so much for all your help so far. Your suggestions have both been great and have brought to light potential solutions and preventative measures I should begin taking.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
I recommend you use google to search this forum for answers. Do a "site:my.is change spark plugs" and it will give you results on how to change spark plugs. Someone here wrote a very good tutorial. If you do not know where the air filter is for your car, it could be that you do not have a lot of mechanical experience with cars.

You are about to hit 90k which is when you should change your spark plugs if the ex-owner skip out on it @ 60k. Find the tutorial, it should have all information within that thread.

For differential, many others and myself recommend using Redline 75w90 fluid (I got mine @ amazon). You will need 2 quarts, but you will only be using 1.3 quart.

The air filter is located on the left side of the car. You can't miss the big black box connecting to the intake.

Remember to do he ecu reset after you perform all these maintenance. It should make a difference.

Do a lot of reading here, all the information you need is here. Good luck and don't rush things.

·
Registered
292 Posts
i recommended you change your spark plugs by a mechanic because there are a lot of wires and bolts you need to detach and unscrew before you remove the whole throttle. i am not saying you are not good enough but 40 bucks to save all these trouble, think twice. if you insist changing it by yourself, take a picture before you detach or remove anyhting, so that you wont forget what you unplug. 1 thing very important from my own experience, make sure your new spark plug wires clips are tight, if not spark fires will appear

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
A spark plug change for our cars does not cost $40, unless you have a mechanic working for $20/hr. It takes around 2-3 hrs to get the job done. If you bring it to a shop, it'll cost you around $100-200; depending on location.

·
Registered
292 Posts
A spark plug change for our cars does not cost $40, unless you have a mechanic working for $20/hr. It takes around 2-3 hrs to get the job done. If you bring it to a shop, it'll cost you around $100-200; depending on location.
well, i guess i got a real good price on that

·
Registered
219 Posts
lol changing the plugs take around an hour...not 3. none of yall must really work on cars or never worked on an LSX engine platform LOL.

·
Registered
75 Posts
POSSIBLE FIX!!
I know this is really bringing back posts from the dead but I had the exact issue with my '02 SportCross.

Plug and wires were changed. Pretty much the entire car received an over haul. Long story short, the throttle body assembly was replaced and it hasn't given me any issues since.

Granted the fix was done last night but my car feels incredible!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.