Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does refrigerant run through that hose or just air?

I need to replace it and wondering if I can do it safely.

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
Refrigerant runs through the whole system. Only difference is relative pressures while the A/C is on. Low side runs in the ~40psi range while high side is int he ~140psi range.

I don't know about Canadian laws or legality but you can vent the system via the low or high port without issue and than change the line.

Reactions: mrmonster

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
It contains refrigerant in gas low pressure gas form.(thats roughly 60-70psi with engine off)
Before you get all excited with my "low pressure" statement, understand the entire system is a connected sealed unit. You will need to discharge the system to service any hose. After service is completed, the system will need to be evacuated (to remove all air and moisture) then refilled.

Reactions: mrmonster

·
Registered
5,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmm OK thanks, looks like this job might be a little out of my comfort level :)

I wonder how this is causing the weird noise between 3-4.5k RPM, I had this fixed before under warranty and it said that it was caused by a O-Ring leak in the suction hose. They replaced the suction hose and it was fixed for couple of years, now its back.

Why would engine speed cause the noise? There is no noise if the AC is on, only when its off.

If it is leaking, wouldn't that mean my AC shouldn't be cooling anymore?

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
If it is leaking, wouldn't that mean my AC shouldn't be cooling anymore?
Depends how much has leaked out. You may be able to look in the sight glass behind the driver side headlight while the A/C system is on. If you can see any turbulent flow (bubbles), than the A/C system is low and you def have a leak.

Also, absolute pressures of the A/C system are dependent on outside temperatures.

I'm not so sure the noise if from the A/C based on your description as the pulley is not engaged with the compressor until the system is on.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts