Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after 19 yrs a/c on my IS 300 stopped blowing cold air. Bought a can of a/c pro as I assume its just finally run out of refrigerant but when I attached the gauge it is in the high pressure red. Thought the gauge might be faulty so got another one same deal. Plugged into low pressure port cranked ac to coldest and highest fan. Nada. Compressor engages fine. Any ideas? Thnks in advance.

·
3,929 Posts
Could be air in the system. Could be something else, You need to do more investigating or take it to a real a/c shop.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Could be expansion valve or possibly pump, but as mentioned you need to do some troubleshooting first.;)

Not bagging on you here, there have been a few posts of late on AC issues, but I'm amused when people put more refrigerant in thinking it is a permanent fix to an AC issue (maybe because the auto stores sell little cans so we think it must be that and buy it?). AC is a closed system, meaning the refrigerant cycles around the system constantly and in a perfect system is not exposed at any point to external influences so should never disappear unless there's a leak, in which case adding more refrigerant is just a temporary fix till it leaks out again.

·
Mr. Roo
10,086 Posts
Okay, so just because you can see the compressor engaging (or if you think it is) doesn't mean it's working. Your compressor needs to be replaced if it's pegging the gauge in the red. The existing coolant will need to be removed. Chances are, the expansion value and condenser will also need to be replaced, as those things can get clogged with metal from the failed compressor.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I remember the ac blend door srvo in the globe box used to make grinding noise for like a yr. could it be that? Also whenever I used move control on climate to automatic it always engaged the a/c automarically, now it doesn’t. I also checked ac compressor working and there is pressure in low line. Also even at full the air coming thru vents not as strong as usual. Condensor is clean too

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I remember the ac blend door srvo in the globe box used to make grinding noise for like a yr. could it be that?
Possible, certainly worth checking

Also whenever I used move control on climate to automatic it always engaged the a/c automarically, now it doesn’t. I also checked ac compressor working and there is pressure in low line. Also even at full the air coming thru vents not as strong as usual. Condensor is clean too
Pretty sure the Automatic part is set in the ECU, not sure if something else would change that unless the ECU knows there is something wrong. Could be worth checking if it is throwing any codes?

Air volume through the vents on mine seems to change a bit when i change from recycle to external and back, could just be a sound thing and all in my head though. But if so it might be the servo or the controller. Hard to say.

When he mentions the condensor needing replacing cause of debri he is meaning internally. As the AC is a closed system any crap that wears off the pump is contained in the system, and can clog up the expansion valve or get caught in the condensor and block it up. There is a filter in the evaporator (I think or is it condensor? the one out in front of the radiator :sneaky: ), but by then the crap has travelled through most of the systems vital organs.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I dealt with that last summer. I changed just about everything but the compressor because I was trying to save money.... it turns out it was the compressor.
Rockauto sells a kit thats reasonably priced with the condenser, compressor, o rings and an expansion valve but the expansion valve didn't fit I had to buy a different brand. Everything else worked.

·
Registered
2002 Lexus IS300
1,365 Posts
I guess I get a compressor like everyone suggests. Oem used or new one?
I went with an OE denso unit from Amazon. I think it was about $275-$300. I just don’t want to be down there doing it again in a year if a reman part fails or whatever.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So I think its my compressor. Couple questions, if I replace with a good used unit do I have to add pag oil? Also do I need to replace the drier and the expansion valve ? Thnks

·
Registered
2002 Lexus IS300
1,365 Posts
So I think its my compressor. Couple questions, if I replace with a good used unit do I have to add pag oil? Also do I need to replace the drier and the expansion valve ? Thnks
Imagine that 🤔

They normally come with oil in them already. However every compressor is different, I would ask the parts store guys or check the instructions that come in the box.

I didn’t replace my drier or expansion valve. Been on for a year now with brand new denso OE compressor from Amazon.

·
Mr. Roo
10,086 Posts
You're supposed to replace the drier every time the system is opened up to ensure the longevity of the system. As for the expansion valve, it's good to change that while you're in there just in case, rather than risking having to charge the system twice.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Saw a vid on how to change expansion valve from under the drivers steering wheel panel but how can I swap out the drier? Do I have to pull the whole condensor out?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts