Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had an Eibach Pro Kit install done today at a local speed shop that came recommended from other .NET users here in Ohio. Now my VSC, TRAC OFF, and ABS lights are all on. The installers didn't seem to think they adjusted those small nuts and rods that pertain to ABS, TRAC type stuff... but then again the person who moved it from the lift to the alignment rack didn't notice the lights on. When it came off the alignment rack, the lights were on.

So either the guy that moved it to the next bay is blind and didn't see 3 freaking bright lights on in the dash, or else they came on after the alignment.

I hear nightmares about these fiber optic brake cables that people apparently snap by accident. Where do I look to locate this cable?

Also, what are some other common errors done in spring installs that causes all the crazy lights to turn on like the 4th of July. I haven't paid yet, so I have the upper hand and the car is in my driveway now. I'm taking it to the dealer on Monday morning to get their advice. Hopefully this install place will cover the cost of whatever Lexus has to do to make things right, if I can't come up with any ideas from people's suggestions here.

Any thoughts?? What a pain!! :( :crazy:

·
Premium Member
2,723 Posts
Search for this problem, I know there are at least 10 answers to this problem, I know because I answered it my self 3 times.

Its your speed sensor wire, it was stretched and riped inside because it was pulled to hard, for more info do a search.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did search. This search sucks. Most people just bickering about what the speed sensor wire really is and what is does. That is how I got the info that I did have.

Now, my question should probably be - why is it called a Speed Sensor Wire.... when my speedo is working fine. Or is this just a sensor that reads the speed of the wheels to compare to see if one or another is spinning faster (to activate driver aids?).

Just a little curious, that's all.

·
Premium Member
2,723 Posts
Yes, that's what it basically does. Its how your traction control system knows when to turn on the traction and when not too. If you look at the left wheel straigth on, with the wheel off you will see 2 wires a thick black one and a thin black one, the thick one is your brake line, and the thin on is the speed sensor. The wires inside the speed sensor are very small and are very easy to rip if you pull on them hard. You won't know you ripped anything, because on the outside 99% of the time there is no visabale damage.

The sensors are 199 each if you want to do it your self. I am pretty sure Lexus will not cover it under waranty since the installer caused the problem. Good thing is, it takes less then 10 minutes to chnage the sensor. Also, most of the time the front ones get riped during installation, because they are in the way and not have as much slak in them as the back ones do.

·
Premium Member
52,610 Posts
Pull a wheel and look. It's pretty easy to see where the sensors go. Could be one just pulled loose. Possibly if they pulled one and got it dirty, it could be giving a false reading.

Also after you fix the problem, you need to reset the ECU, and then drive at least 5 miles for the ABS, TRAC ect to reset.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Damn, I'm sorry Dave... I steered you wrong. :cry: Anyhow, maybe try to make sure the speed sensor wires are clean and connected properly... if one is ripped have the place pay for its replacement. Gimme a call if there's anything I can do. :-?

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
danielm said:
Yes, that's what it basically does. Its how your traction control system knows when to turn on the traction and when not too. If you look at the left wheel straigth on, with the wheel off you will see 2 wires a thick black one and a thin black one, the thick one is your brake line, and the thin on is the speed sensor. The wires inside the speed sensor are very small and are very easy to rip if you pull on them hard. You won't know you ripped anything, because on the outside 99% of the time there is no visabale damage.

The sensors are 199 each if you want to do it your self. I am pretty sure Lexus will not cover it under waranty since the installer caused the problem. Good thing is, it takes less then 10 minutes to chnage the sensor. Also, most of the time the front ones get riped during installation, because they are in the way and not have as much slak in them as the back ones do.
Thanks for all your advice guys. Now the question is, how will I notice the damage if I can't see it? This installer said he will take care of whatever damage he has caused.... so that's a good thing. I'd like to just fix it on my own if it's come lose... anyway... thanks again.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nope, no visible signs of loose-ness as you guys had warned of. I'll just have to take it to the dealer and have them read the code and tell me which one is bad. I'm hoping they can do that.

·
Podiatrist
23,616 Posts
sometimes it gets damaged and you can't see it. Go to the dealer. I'm willling to bet it's the speed sensor.

I was workin on a car for 3 weeks and I thought there was no way it'd be the sensor. Took it to the dealer and the focker was broken.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just for the record. Took it to the dealer. Right front speed sensor / wheel lock-up sensor. Whatever you want to call it. THAT thing. Lexus is claiming it under a warranty call and not charging me anything, even though they didn't even do the install!

People bitch a lot about Lexus of Dayton (ohio)... but they've always treated me right... mods or not. :lol:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts