Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had L-Tuned springs installed (not by Lexus), and now the TRAC light is blinking slowly and the ABS and headlight autolevel lights are on.

I did a few searches and came up with the reason. I guess the front left speed sensor wire got stretched and broken, and the autolevel sensor must be off the mark.

I'm posting not because I don't know anything about it, but because I want to be 100% absolutely certain that I know what I'm talking about when I go back to the shop that installed the springs, so they don't sweet talk their way out of fixing this.

Is that for sure the reason those lights are on? The speed sensor wire for the TRAC blinking and ABS lights, and the autolevel sensor for that light?

I told them about the autolevel sensor before they installed the springs, and to make sure to tighten the bolt exactly where it was before being lowered, and they actually measured with a ruler and did just that. I'm guessing I was wrong, and it needs to be adjusted a little bit? Up or down? How far either way? My car is lowered 1".

As for the ABS/TRAC lights, how should I approach them about that? Just say "hey, you pulled this wire too hard when you were taking off the front left wheel, and you're going to have to pay Lexus $xxx.xx (I've seen posts of between $300 and $1000 for the repair) to fix it?

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It just occured to mean that I must have read some bad information, it's obviously not the speed sensor wire, because my speedometer is completely unaffected.

·
Registered
198 Posts
On the headlight auto level I think it's up in the sticky where you see the pic. of the arm. They probably just reassembled it with the "L" shape it makes reversed. There was a post a month or so ago from a guy who had the exact same deal.

The speed sensor is a whole other charlie foxtrot. It looks down into the hub and checks for wheel lock. Since both trac and abs lights are on I'd bet it's one of the back sensors they broke. (The rear sensor would provide wheel lock data to both systems) That's kinda ironic because if they did it the right way there was no reason they'd need to be fooling with the ones in back. But they probably caught the wire like you guessed or just plain broke it or the sensor.

·
Registered
5,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ISthreeza said:
On the headlight auto level I think it's up in the sticky where you see the pic. of the arm. They probably just reassembled it with the "L" shape it makes reversed. There was a post a month or so ago from a guy who had the exact same deal.

The speed sensor is a whole other charlie foxtrot. It looks down into the hub and checks for wheel lock. Since both trac and abs lights are on I'd bet it's one of the back sensors they broke. (The rear sensor would provide wheel lock data to both systems) That's kinda ironic because if they did it the right way there was no reason they'd need to be fooling with the ones in back. But they probably caught the wire like you guessed or just plain broke it or the sensor.
How can it be the speed sensor? My speedo is fine.

·
Premium Member
52,610 Posts
The speedometer runs off the trans, doesn't it?

I believe he's talking about a sensor the detects when a wheel isn't turning and activates ABS. That sensor could also sense when a rear wheel is spinning and activate TRAC.

·
Registered
5,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
bartkat said:
The speedometer runs off the trans, doesn't it?

I believe he's talking about a sensor the detects when a wheel isn't turning and activates ABS. That sensor could also sense when a rear wheel is spinning and activate TRAC.
Ah, ok that makes sense.

So what should I do, ask these guys to pull off all 4 wheels and look around for a silicone-coated wire they can feel for breaks?

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
I had the same problem when I put on my Teins. Is the speed sensor, all your 4 brake calipers have one. My front left one was bad, because I pulled on it too hard and riped the wires, but it can be anyone of the 4... but more then likly one or both in the front. The parts are 196 each from Lexus .

·
Registered
5,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
danielm said:
I had the same problem when I put on my Teins. Is the speed sensor, all your 4 brake calipers have one. My front left one was bad, because I pulled on it too hard and riped the wires, but it can be anyone of the 4... but more then likly one or both in the front. The parts are 196 each from Lexus .
Can't you just get any silicone sheathed wire (for long life and flexibility) and just splice it in? I was thinking you could slide some heatshrink tubing over the solder blob, squirt some silicone caulk in there, and heat the heatshrink to make it perfectly water tight. Wouldn't that work, as opposed to buying a $200 fucking wire?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Man, the shop that did the work needs to make it right by you.

I'm not an expert but you're looking at a pretty high tech part of your car. The sensor is really better described as a wheel lockup sensor. There is one on each wheel. It's a little black plastic cylander with a sensor that looks down onto a toothed gear that is part of the wheel. So long as it "sees" the teeth passing at the right number per second for the speed the car is traveling everything is cool. When the teeth stop going by at the right rate, or in a full lockup stop going by at all then the computer activates the appropriate system.

In the front where all you have is brakes that system will only be ABS. Wheels start to lock and the ABS takes over and starts pumping the brakes. In back where you also have drive both the TRAC system and the ABS need to know if the wheels are rotating at the right rate for the speed. Braking works the same as the front. TRAC looks to see if the wheel is spinnig too *fast*, or in other word spinning. If it sees that then it adjusts the power until the wheel turns at the right rate to match the speed of travel.

So bottom line, these sensors are critical to your car's computer knowing how to operate these systems. Make sure they get them back online right.

·
Registered
904 Posts
From a little search i did, this problem seems to be common. Is it just the IS that suffers from this, or is it all cars with ABS/Trac? Or is it just dodgy workshops?

That's why i want Lexus to install my springs, but they wont touch aftermarket stuff :chill:

·
Registered
5,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ISthreeza said:
Man, the shop that did the work needs to make it right by you.

I'm not an expert but you're looking at a pretty high tech part of your car. The sensor is really better described as a wheel lockup sensor. There is one on each wheel. It's a little black plastic cylander with a sensor that looks down onto a toothed gear that is part of the wheel. So long as it "sees" the teeth passing at the right number per second for the speed the car is traveling everything is cool. When the teeth stop going by at the right rate, or in a full lockup stop going by at all then the computer activates the appropriate system.

In the front where all you have is brakes that system will only be ABS. Wheels start to lock and the ABS takes over and starts pumping the brakes. In back where you also have drive both the TRAC system and the ABS need to know if the wheels are rotating at the right rate for the speed. Braking works the same as the front. TRAC looks to see if the wheel is spinnig too *fast*, or in other word spinning. If it sees that then it adjusts the power until the wheel turns at the right rate to match the speed of travel.

So bottom line, these sensors are critical to your car's computer knowing how to operate these systems. Make sure they get them back online right.
How is it that you know that, and nobody else in the forum knows that? Not even GTE or jedi?

Everyone says it's a wire, not a gear/sensor apparatus. They say the wire is broken, nobody has ever said anything about looking at a toothed gear and a sensor above it to see that they line up.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Well, there's a wire running to the sensor. It in fact clips onto the bottom part of the strut cartridge in the front. I'd guess that most of the issues with spring installs result from that lead getting broken.

As for how I know about the sensor that's from looking at it while I installed my springs this past week and knowing how ABS/TRAC works.

What I can't tell you is whether it's an optical sensor or magnetic. Since the sensitivity of the sending wire apparently is a big issue my guess is that it's a magnetic setup.

As for it being a Lexus/IS specific problem, No. I think it's just shops that don't know what all they are getting into not paying attention to it.

I'm pretty sure GTE and Jedi know how the systems work. Regardless, I was just trying to help a brother out.

·
Registered
5,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ISthreeza said:
Well, there's a wire running to the sensor. It in fact clips onto the bottom part of the strut cartridge in the front. I'd guess that most of the issues with spring installs result from that lead getting broken.

As for how I know about the sensor that's from looking at it while I installed my springs this past week and knowing how ABS/TRAC works.

What I can't tell you is whether it's an optical sensor or magnetic. Since the sensitivity of the sending wire apparently is a big issue my guess is that it's a magnetic setup.

As for it being a Lexus/IS specific problem, No. I think it's just shops that don't know what all they are getting into not paying attention to it.

I'm pretty sure GTE and Jedi know how the systems work. Regardless, I was just trying to help a brother out.
Do you happen to know the color of the wire, the gauge of the wire strands inside, or the outside diameter of the wire w/silicone cover? It'd be nice to tell the guys what to do, instead of say "there's this mystery wire in there somewhere..."

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
ÜberPhLuBB: Shoulda had me install them... :chill:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts