Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i'm planning to lower my car with the eibach prokits. I was wondering what else do i need to buy?Just the spring then lower it ? I notice alot of people change their shock. My IS is 05' with 46,000 miles do i really need new shock?

And does anyone know any shop in San Diego that will do a good job installing the spring or anyone local have done it want to help me because i am not confident doing it my self.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Most people change the shocks at the same time because the new springs tension is lower then the stock shocks compression. You will end up blowing them out sooner or later. The aftermarket ones can handle the new pressure. Change them both at the same time to save you a head troubles in the long run.

For the installation. I think Pan Auto is okie. Havent to many bad things about them. I'm asking around for installation as well in SD because I'm about to do the springs/shock combo.

Hope I helped.

Reactions: XRflip05

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
if i chose to go with the combination of Koni Yellows and Eibach Prokits does it still have an 1'' drop all around or even lower? How low would it be?

Second is Koni Yellows and Koni Sport the same shock?

·
13,727 Posts
Koni yellows have two perches, which can drop you another .5". So with prokits you could go as low as 1.5". With only 46K on your shocks, you probably will be fine. If you plan on keeping it for a while then pick up some new ones, might as well do it now and get it over with.

Make sure you check many shops. You will get two different price quotes, ones that are high, otherwise known as "Asshole shop doesnt want to do it so they quote a crazy price to make you run away price" and then you get some fair ones. I did mine myself with some friends and it took the whole afternoon. See if someone in your area would be willing to help, and take them out for beer and titties when you are done. Unless they dont like titties, then youre on your own.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Koni yellows have two perches, which can drop you another .5". So with prokits you could go as low as 1.5". With only 46K on your shocks, you probably will be fine. If you plan on keeping it for a while then pick up some new ones, might as well do it now and get it over with.

Make sure you check many shops. You will get two different price quotes, ones that are high, otherwise known as "Asshole shop doesnt want to do it so they quote a crazy price to make you run away price" and then you get some fair ones. I did mine myself with some friends and it took the whole afternoon. See if someone in your area would be willing to help, and take them out for beer and titties when you are done. Unless they dont like titties, then youre on your own.
beer and titties.... who doesnt like that combo.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I think the biggest thing that people forget when first modding their cars is that modifying one thing will effect another thing. Cars are a system of parts, you cannot just modify one thing and expect there to be no effect on another part. It's easy to just change your wheels from your stock 17" to 20", but what does that mean for your stopping distance?

Either way though, it'll probably be a good idea to change your shocks and springs at the same time. With your mileage, you could get away with not replacing them both at the same time, but just save your self the time and do it now, your going to have do it anyway. Also, you can expect to have to bring your car in for alignment after lowering it.

Things to know: Even after your done lowering your car, expect it to get a little bit lower after things settle. Our car is pretty low to the ground to begin with, when you lower it, be EXTREMELY careful with speed bumps, uneven roads, and curbs. You'll kill yourself after your hear the sounds of car grinding on concrete.

Good luck with the lowering, if decide to do the install yourself, there are plenty of guides on the site to help you!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts