Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like the title says. The car's a '01 w/ 23k in great condition. They want an extra $1K to certify it. As is it's got a little over 1 year and 27K miles left on bumper-to-bumper warranty. Being certified would push it to 3 more years and 100k bumper-to-bumper.

This car will be seeing a lot of highway miles over the next few years and just want to get some opinions on whether or not the "certification" is worth it. Problem prone?

Thanks a ton.
Ashley

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's $24k un-certified, $25k certified.

Also, what should I try to get thrown in the deal? I'm working on the armrest parts. I gave them a list of part numbers and a diagram and told them just to order the parts and I'll put 'em on. They were astonished that I had a copy of that.

Thanks for the help so far, guys

·
Registered
937 Posts
Shipwrecked said:

Also, what should I try to get thrown in the deal? I'm working on the armrest parts. I gave them a list of part numbers and a diagram and told them just to order the parts and I'll put 'em on. They were astonished that I had a copy of that.

That's too much to pay for a used 2001 IS with 23K miles, when new 2003s are selling for around $28.5K. :chill:

·
$lores amongst us!
10,974 Posts
The Chief said:
Shipwrecked said:

That's too much to pay for a used 2001 IS with 23K miles, when new 2003s are selling for around $28.5K. :chill:
Agreed!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What would be a more reasonable asking price? I can walk from this deal easily so ya'll let me know what ya think.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
The Chief said:
Shipwrecked said:

He's got a point....!

·
Premium Member
52,610 Posts
Is this a straight out buy or a trade? What they give for the trade is also important.

I bought a 2002 in May for $24,000. Had 18,000 miles on it.

I would think a 2001 would be more like $22,000 or so.

I think Certified is a good idea. A sunroof motor, or power windows and stuff like that could add up to $1000 reall fast.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
The Chief said:
Shipwrecked said:

WAY TOO MUCH! In June of this year I paid $25.5K for my 2002 5spd Stage II Ltuned w/ 21k miles on it. (private party though)
Walk away and find another...unless they'll go down to like 19K, lol.

p.s. Like the others said, I don't think you should pay extra for the certification.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
The Chief said:
Shipwrecked said:

WAY TOO MUCH! In June of this year I paid $25.5K for my 2002 5spd Stage II Ltuned w/ 21k miles on it. (private party though)
Walk away and find another...unless they'll go down to like 19K, lol.

p.s. Like the others said, I don't think you should pay extra for the certification.

·
Premium Member
52,610 Posts
That $22.000 I quoted would be the wholesale price with most options and allows for low mileage. You should be able to get close to that price, especially since it's going to be one model year older soon, or maybe even already.

·
Registered
994 Posts
go to carsdirect...they sell em for around 25k brand new

ill try to find the thread where someone bought one from cali and got it shipped to there door in texas

it was cheaper to buy it out of state than at the local dealers

·
Registered
406 Posts
Don't pay 1k extra to have it certified. Instead tell them you want the Plantinum Extended Warranty which they'll sell for $699.99 That saves you 300 bucks, and has the same coverage :)

Hell man, you wanna spend 25k for a 2001 with 23+k Miles on it. I'll sell you my 2002 with Navagation, Full Leather, Every Option under the sun for 26k with 28,000 miles on it... it is also certified, and has the Platinum Warranty for 6 years (5 years left) and 100,000 Miles.

Lemme know ;)

Kevin

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Bartkat: I would like to pay cash but offered to finance it to see how much they'd come off the price but they didn't budge. There will be no trade in.

IS3Zer0s: I'd love to get a new one if the price is right.

undertow: Preciate the offer but think I'm gonna go stock for now. Does that void the warranty or just take it all off before you take it to the dealer?

·
Registered
406 Posts
Shipwrecked, nothing I have on my car Voids the warranty. And I meant I'd sell you my 02 Car, fully loaded with Navigation etc.. Basically Stock, just with every option you can get from lexus, including leather, heated seats, navigation, LSD, moonroof, Graphite Polished Alloy 17" Rims with NEW (1,500 miles on em) Dunlop SP Sport 9000s.

I'd take off all my mods, and sell em seperately.

Lemme know :)

Kevin

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
undertow: auto or stick?

Does $24k w/ Certification sound better? The car's in great shape and to be honest, they all seem to be a little higher priced down here (South Mississippi/ New Orleans) than everywhere else but I also know it hasn't spent any time in harsh winters/road salt.

Any ideas?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts