Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I'm looking into getting a 2004.. Either a black or dark gray one.. Not sure yet.. Anyway I was wondering if the Navigation is worth it?? I want to get it but I know my way around really good but there are sometimes I would like to get out of traffic jams and Orlando is full of them.. So do you think its worth it??

Thanks ,
Chase

·
Registered
973 Posts
Keely300L said:
Hey I'm looking into getting a 2004.. Either a black or dark gray one.. Not sure yet.. Anyway I was wondering if the Navigation is worth it?? I want to get it but I know my way around really good but there are sometimes I would like to get out of traffic jams and Orlando is full of them.. So do you think its worth it??

Thanks ,
Chase
it doesnt do shit for traffic, i think only the Benz one shows traffic updates

·
Registered
32 Posts
Keely300L said:

Thanks ,
Chase
Keely300L, I highly recommended for the Nav. Sys. I know my area pretty well but Nav. Sys offer the entire USA map. Another great thing, it also tells you nearest restaurants, banks, shopping centers, and many other things. Yes, it's a little expensive but at the end. You will be glad you have it. Especially detour, it will re-route you to any way around.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Definitely worth it. Once you own a car with the nav you'll wonder how you lived without it.

Sure the Lexus system isn't perfect, but other car owners I'm sure could find little complaints about their systems too.

I find it useful even when I don't have a destination programmed in. Sometimes I'll be skirting around town and get ready to make a turn only to check myself when I see that he nav is displaying my chosen street as a dead-end.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Definitely worth it. Once you own a car with the nav you'll wonder how you lived without it.

Sure the Lexus system isn't perfect, but other car owners I'm sure could find little complaints about their systems too.

I find it useful even when I don't have a destination programmed in. Sometimes I'll be skirting around town and get ready to make a turn only to check myself when I see that he nav is displaying my chosen street as a dead-end.

·
Registered
533 Posts
get it if you can afford it, unless spending extra 2000 will hurt you financially , if you can afford it, it is definetly worth it, i love mine. :crazy:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Alright

Thanks for the advice... I think I will think about it more and see where I am in money to see if I have that extra 2,000. Thats yall.

Chase

·
8,880 Posts
Another option is to
Save your $2000
Spend around $1200 and get

StreetPilot 2610/2650 features

Powerful microprocessor for fast redraw and route calculation
Built-in patch antenna with an MCX-type connector for optional external GPS antenna
CompactFlash data card (type I or II) slot for map storage
Audio and visual navigation instructions and warnings
3.3" W x 1.7" H, 305 x 160 pixels; bright, automotive-grade 8-bit, 256 color LCD display with automatic dimming backlight and touch screen
5.6" W x 3.2" H x 2.0" D unit dimensions
Alphanumeric remote control
Turn-by-turn automatic route generation
Indefinite data storage (no memory battery required)
Integrated dash mounting system provides easy adjustment and quick release

I have Garmin GPS V which costs $400.
That thing does a very good job navigating me around. Best thing - no lockout while driving. 8)

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
The NAV system is always what people "ooh and ah" over in my vehicle. But, it has helped me out of DC quite a few times. Really, in the end, it's just another cool toy to have in the car... and you pay for that.

Check this out, though. When I first got the car, I was showing my dad the calendar and maintenance features in the car. Just kinda plugging stuff in randomly. Yesterday, my car wished me a happy birthday. There is nothing cooler than starting the car and the NAV screen says "Happy B-Day"... ;-)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Living in Southern California, the Nav was the best option I ever bought. I'm still finding out great features that it has. I've been stuck on the freeway numerous times and the Nav has given me options with jumping to side streeets.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Yes, it is a great feature if you have the spare cash. Help me keep my job! (but then again I could just be biased :D )

Honestly, the Lexus navi system does have its bugs and quirks. But after comparing it to many competitor systems, I'd have to say it's the best system out there.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Definitely glad I got mine. I don't use the routing all the time, but it has helped out in a jam or two. Very cool features, tilt up screen makes people say ooh.

·
13,978 Posts
gfunk said:
The NAV system is always what people "ooh and ah" over in my vehicle. But, it has helped me out of DC quite a few times. Really, in the end, it's just another cool toy to have in the car... and you pay for that.

Check this out, though. When I first got the car, I was showing my dad the calendar and maintenance features in the car. Just kinda plugging stuff in randomly. Yesterday, my car wished me a happy birthday. There is nothing cooler than starting the car and the NAV screen says "Happy B-Day"... ;-)
LOL!!! that's sweet. i didn't know the factory nav could do that.

nav is definitely a sweet option to have and if you have the cash you should get it. it definitely helps you out when yo''ure in traffic because you can just turn on your screen and you have a virtual maps. you can see which roads lead to where and just take those roads instead. you can always find shortcuts to the places that you go to too.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
oneeyejack said:
gfunk said:

LOL!!! that's sweet. i didn't know the factory nav could do that.

nav is definitely a sweet option to have and if you have the cash you should get it. it definitely helps you out when yo''ure in traffic because you can just turn on your screen and you have a virtual maps. you can see which roads lead to where and just take those roads instead. you can always find shortcuts to the places that you go to too.
Yeah, if you go in the information menu, it'll remind you to take it in for service. You can program it to tell you things on certain dates, etc. It has tons of cool little features.... It's hilarious.

·
8,880 Posts
EndlessWaltz112 said:
whoa. the nav system can do that?! thats cool. thats kinda funny too, but thats cool as hell.
Just be careful with the system. Don't enter your birthday into it. :eek:
There is a survival algorithm built into it. :eek:
Once it finds out you're 16, it'll lock you out and won't let you in for the next 5 years. :lol:

I'm kidding!!! :lol:
Drive safe.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Sonic Boom said:

Agreed . I've had mine a year now and have used it for every trip I've taken and most places around So.Cal . You can change the routing of a previously-entered destination and tell the NAV to use your preferred road. in my case, that's often one with lots of curves. :D Then , you can adjust the view distance so that the upcoming curves are displayed in real-time and you are practically Driving in a Need-For-Speed video game experience in real-life! :lol: Seriously, it can help you judge how fast you can approach upcoming curves on winding roads.
I also use it to find 76 gas stations and for estimating driving distances for mileage reports for work. The lockout feature is easily disabled with a Mod I found on .NET . Every chick that gets in the car loves it almost as much as the chrome ball ....hmm. :wink: The factory install is clean, slick and covered by lexus warranty. 8)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts