Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I got some question to anyone who knows something about a nitrous system for the IS:

Ill prob get newb bashed but here goes

1. Any one knows where i can looks at some IS compatible nitrous systems that are good and safe.

2. Would it be ok for me to put in a NOS for my car with just an Air intake and an exhaust system, or would more engine work be needed?

·
Am I Hype-R???
13,648 Posts
before i start...NOS is a brand name. much like kleenex and xerox...just to clear that up...
1. Any one knows where i can looks at some IS compatible nitrous systems that are good and safe.

have tried doing a search here??? there's been many many discussions about nitrous setups for the IS300...try doing a quick search. if you can't find what you're looking for, then ask again... :)

2. Would it be ok for me to put in a NOS for my car with just an Air intake and an exhaust system, or would more engine work be needed?

it would be fine...as long as it's done correctly. you can actually do a moderate nitrous setup completely stock!!!

good luck

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know that NOS is a brand name but similar to kleenex its easyer to be refered to as the brand name then the technical term thanx tho

·
Am I Hype-R???
13,648 Posts
RdRoket said:
I know that NOS is a brand name but similar to kleenex its easyer to be refered to as the brand name then the technical term thanx tho
that's coo...i have several pet peeves...and NOS is one of them...another is the correct use of the word "header"...oh and when people don't answer questions when you know they read your question... :p

good luck

·
Registered
114 Posts
along the same lines, I've done some digging on this topic. I was curious I haven't seen too many posts (ok , well none that I coud find) discussing the issues that N2O may have on a car. Negatively that is.

Are there any draw backs that I should be aware of? Engine life, damage from running too much. I noticed that Aubie has it..any problems that you've encountered Aubie?

Oh I also found that some said that the Venom 1000 was a good choice. Completely managed by the computer, with everything that you need. It's an entry level system but if you're only looking for a little with out killing the car, then I think this sounds like the way to go...

·
Registered
518 Posts
ITGuy said:
along the same lines, I've done some digging on this topic. I was curious I haven't seen too many posts (ok , well none that I coud find) discussing the issues that N2O may have on a car. Negatively that is.

Are there any draw backs that I should be aware of? Engine life, damage from running too much. I noticed that Aubie has it..any problems that you've encountered Aubie?

Oh I also found that some said that the Venom 1000 was a good choice. Completely managed by the computer, with everything that you need. It's an entry level system but if you're only looking for a little with out killing the car, then I think this sounds like the way to go...

I ran an NX system and a Venom system. I use only the Venom system now. Its alot safer because it will shut down if its going to cause engine damage. If you are seriously thinking about getting it or have some concerns/are curious then post some questions. Ill clear them up the best I can.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I ran an NX system and a Venom system. I use only the Venom system now. Its alot safer because it will shut down if its going to cause engine damage. If you are seriously thinking about getting it or have some concerns/are curious then post some questions. Ill clear them up the best I can.
K here they go:

1. Is it easy to conceal--smoging reasons, I'm in Cali?

2. Can I run into issues with using the N2O too often?

3. I believe there are two setting for N2O RPM based and manual is this corect?

4. Will N2O diminish the life of my engine?

5. Does your car act any differently when you aren't running it e.g. any side effects?

6. How long did it take them to put it in?

·
Registered
12,157 Posts
i understand that english may not be your first language, but typing an additional 4 letters (nitrous vs nos) is not "harder"

the only reason you would need to refer to it as NOS, rather than nitrous, is when you are in the presence of idiots. this board is pretty well educated for the most part, so you can use the CORRECT terminology, which is nitrous, and feel confident that we will be able to not only understand you, but answer your question with supremacy and accuracy (compared to the people that would only recognize it by its fast and furious term NOS, or nawz)

-gte

RdRoket said:

·
Am I Hype-R???
13,648 Posts
i know this was directed to someone in specific, but i'm going to throw in my 2 cents anyway:

1. Is it easy to conceal--smoging reasons, I'm in Cali?

>>>do not discuss this in public...for legal reasons...

2. Can I run into issues with using the N2O too often?

>>>YES!!! if not done correctly...if done correctly, then you should be ok...

3. I believe there are two setting for N2O RPM based and manual is this corect?

>>>is this for a spcific brand???

4. Will N2O diminish the life of my engine?

>>>yes

5. Does your car act any differently when you aren't running it e.g. any side effects?

>>>when the nitrous is not activated, your car should run like normal...

6. How long did it take them to put it in?

>>>this will totally depend on the installer's abilities. i think the fastest you can install a kit CORRECTLY (good wiring, running lines in nicely, etc) is like two hours or so. I stress correctly due to the fact that i've seen guys with crappy wiring and bottles not even strapped down. you can do it in less time, but i think that you spent this much for a nice car, don't get stupid and be half ass about putting stuff in...just my opinion.

·
Registered
114 Posts
thanks for the input...now can you give some specifics....

1. I don't understand completely what you mean regarding #1. I know that it's not legal, but your answer doesn't help with aiding me in determining if it's easy to conceal for smogging purposes

2. You said that in fact N2O will diminish the life of an engine. In order to request an accurate hypothesis...say I'm an occasional user using the Venom 1000 (seems to have all the bells and whistles, while concurrently taking into consideration the safety aspects, such as shutdown if running too lean) and I use it say 5 to 6 times a week what will the long term effects be in relation to me not having it put on. Are the differences dramatic. I.E. will I have be facing a rebuild after say 50k miles, or if I'm conservative with it, something that won't I won't have to worry about ?

3. Regarding #2 I'm assuming that it's done properly by people who do this professionaly, such as the motorshop I go to for everything...Group5Motorsport(awesome place by the way).

4. Regarding #3 the system that I'm referring to as stated in the lines above is the Venom 1000, an entry level system that seems to be very safe, while delivering that extra added kick I'm looking for.

Thanks for the input you already provided HyperMKIV, I'd really appreciate it if you could elaborate a little futher on these topics I've outlined.

·
Am I Hype-R???
13,648 Posts
legal reasons: if we tell you how to conceal something to get around smog, we can get in trouble...this is a no no on virtually any forum. i'm sure you can undertand this right???

as for the longevity issue, it's hard to put a # on the life expectancy of your engine. lemme just say this: ANY added stress on the components of your engine will lessen the expectancy...did i word that right??? it's just a given that any type of added stress will do this...

ok, regarding the kit...it's a good thing that you're getting a good kit and having good people install it...i can't stress enough how the install and proper usage can make such a big diff...

hope this helps...

·
Registered
114 Posts
YUP :) that helps an awful lot regarding the legalities of it. Thanks for taking the time to answer these questions. I'll keep you guys posted on the situation regarding the install. Still have to either get it past my wife,,,,,or lie....the latter one probably being the one that works :wink:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts