Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I'm new to this site so I hope i'm posting in the right area. Well I don't own a IS350 right now but maybe in the next month. Trying to save for the good down payment. The thing is I been doing my research and I'm set on the 350 but wanted to know from other owner's what would I want to know about the car before I get it (good-bad). Also ad-on, what ad-on's did you get or wish you added them when first buying your car.
Thanks for any help...Ryan (Chicago Area)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Are you buying new or used?

Initially I was going to buy a base version of the IS350 but then I test drove a loaded one. After playing with the Navi and listening to the ML sound system I decided to get those options. I am very glad I did because I love them. The Navi has come in handy many times already and the sound system is just amazing. Since my car has everything besides the radar cruise control (which I would never use anyway) I don't regret anything.

Good luck with car shopping.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Are you buying new or used?

Initially I was going to buy a base version of the IS350 but then I test drove a loaded one. After playing with the Navi and listening to the ML sound system I decided to get those options. I am very glad I did because I love them. The Navi has come in handy many times already and the sound system is just amazing. Since my car has everything besides the radar cruise control (which I would never use anyway) I don't regret anything.

Good luck with car shopping.
Couldn't agree with you more. I initially was going to get the sports package then I got to sit in luxury package with Nav and have to say it was very impressive. The resolution from the screen, easy to use interface and the ML sound system is amazing. Definatly glad i got this package. Also didn't notice much of a difference when comparing sports suspension to normal.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would like a brand new 2007-2008 but if not nothing with more then 12,000mile's. Yes I must say once you have a navi you can't buy another car with out one. So the ML sound's pretty damn good then? So no need for a after market audio replacement if you gowith the ML package. Also if you get the ML package is it true that the navi screen will play dvd's?

·
Registered
787 Posts
Well, I'll offer a bit of a different perspective...

I got mine with the Luxury Package with Nav but NO ML sound. If I'm being honest, the Nav looks good, but I find it relatively useless. I suppose it might be handy for someone who is "directionally challenged", but other than that, I've never really needed to use it and a few times I've played with with it, it actually go the directions wrong.

However, comparing the Lexus Nav to other Nav systems (especially BMW's crappy I-Drive), the Lex Nav is WAY better. Way more intuitive and easier to use.

I've never heard the difference between my sound and ML sound, but everyone I've ever talked to (or read here) seems to LOVE the ML sound. If there is one thing I'd probably change on mine is that I'd get the ML sound.

Other things to know...

The car is really two cars in one. One of the cars has the traction control and has a lot more of a modest and luxurious feel to it and the other is when the VSC is off and this baby is like a wild cat. It can really make your heart race (inspite of what some "professionals" have said about it).

To me, there is nothing like it in this class. I took mine on a 1,100 mile road trip once and I really enjoyed it the entire way. I didn't find that I was fighting the car at all but could relax the entire way.

The rear backup camera is one of my favorite options on the car (I have two small children - so you can imagine the comfort I take in knowing I can see everything behind me).

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
I too got one with the luxury package, 18" wheels plus nav without ML sound.

I got the nav not for the navigation features but mostly because it gave me the BlueTooth handsfree calling and a much better interface for audio and climate control; and the car looked 100% better with it. Sounds funny, but it's true.

I have come to appreciate the nav as my job has taken me up to 500 miles from home. Very good user interface. I have turned off the voice though, it drove me nuts!

I was NOT impressed by the OEM Dunlop tires, and replaced them after 1 year with GoodYear Eagle F1 GS-D3's. This has made a world of difference, the car handles MUCH better and is much less jumpy on irregular surfaces. I highly recommend upgrading the tires.

Other options I got but didn't ask for are headlamp washers (useful in snow, useless otherwise) and park assist (which I turn on only before handing the car over to valet parkers!)

The one mod that I made, and I highly recommend it, is installing the Lexus sports pedals (avail. on the sports package but not the lux. package) they have a different shape and make driving easier.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I got mine with the Luxury Package with Nav but NO ML sound. If I'm being honest, the Nav looks good, but I find it relatively useless. I suppose it might be handy for someone who is "directionally challenged", but other than that, I've never really needed to use it and a few times I've played with with it, it actually go the directions wrong.

I've never heard the difference between my sound and ML sound, but everyone I've ever talked to (or read here) seems to LOVE the ML sound. If there is one thing I'd probably change on mine is that I'd get the ML sound.
I'm in no way directionally challanged and I've driven for many many years without a Navi but I will give you an example of one of the times when the Navi came in handy for me:
When I first bought the car I drove 30 miles to the DMV (the only one open on a Saturday) to get license plates. I get there at 11:30, got all the paperwork taken care of and I go to the cashier where I find out that they only take cash or checks and I don't have enough cash and don't have my checking book with me (I was planning on paying with a credit card.) The lady says there is a bank just outside the DMV but I have to hurry because they are closing in 15 minutes. I go outside the building, take a look around and there is no bank within sight. I jump in the IS, get on the street and start driving but still no bank. Than I realize that I have this awsome Navi. I press the Voice button, say "Bank" and the map shows me all the banks in the area. Turns out I was going the wrong way and I would never make it to the next bank in that direction in time but there is an another bank just about 1/4 mile behind me. I make a U-turn, get to the bank, withdraw cash and make it back to the DMV with 5 minutes to spare. I get my plates and I'm a happy camper. If I didn't have the Navi I would never find a bank in time to make it back to the DMV which means I would have to drive 30 miles here again later in the week and I was going to be very busy that week anyway so I'd probobably have to wait until the week after that.
This is just one example, but the Navi saved my a$$ a few times already.

Yes, ML system plays DVDs and let me say again that it sounds awsome. Just make sure you're listening to an actual CD-quality CD... not a CD made from the MP3s you have saved on your computer.

Good song to test the system: "Given up" by Linkin Park.
One time I cranked it up to the max volume when listening to this song and I was sitting in the car with a smile on my face... that how good it sounded.
And when I got out of the car there was ringing in my ears.

·
Registered
787 Posts
I too got one with the luxury package, 18" wheels plus nav without ML sound.

I got the nav not for the navigation features but mostly because it gave me the BlueTooth handsfree calling and a much better interface for audio and climate control; and the car looked 100% better with it. Sounds funny, but it's true.
Very good point. I love the bluetooth handsfree calling. Probably worth having the Nav for that feature alone.

I was NOT impressed by the OEM Dunlop tires, and replaced them after 1 year with GoodYear Eagle F1 GS-D3's. This has made a world of difference, the car handles MUCH better and is much less jumpy on irregular surfaces. I highly recommend upgrading the tires.
Have you ever had a chance to compare the Dunlop's to the OEM Bridgestone's that came of the 2007? I'm not too impressed with the Bridgestone's either, I wonder if you've tried them.

The one mod that I made, and I highly recommend it, is installing the Lexus sports pedals (avail. on the sports package nut not the lux. package) they have a different shape and make driving easier.
How so? Better grip, greater size??? I might consider getting them (although I've never tried the sports pedals before. Who installs them?

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
Very good point. I love the bluetooth handsfree calling. Probably worth having the Nav for that feature alone.
My thought as well. I spend a lot of time in my car, and being able to participate in conference calls while stuck in traffic is a big time saver for me.

Have you ever had a chance to compare the Dunlop's to the OEM Bridgestone's that came of the 2007? I'm not too impressed with the Bridgestone's either, I wonder if you've tried them.
No, I haven't. So people swear by them, though. I thought of getting Michelin PS2's, but the GoodYear F1's are impressive and cost much less. I wrote my impressions in a thread on this site.

How so? Better grip, greater size??? I might consider getting them (although I've never tried the sports pedals before. Who installs them?
The accelerator pedal is larger, it has a little extension that allows heel-and-toe driving. And they look just right for the car.
I bought them on this site for $100 and installed them myself. I have an old thread about intallation in the IS350 Owner's Forum.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Have to agree with the sport pedal purchase, especially if you can get them to throw it in the deal with NAV and ML.

·
Registered
13 Posts
In December I picked up a 2008 350...paid $43k + tax and license here in Arizona. It seems fine to me : It has the X-trim package, navigation, HID lights with adaptive lighting, premium package, dual sport exhaust with rear ground effects (it does add noise but sounds great !), rear lip spoiler, XM radio, preferred accessory package. Teh "standard" stereo sounds wonderful to me..I just cannot justify the price of the Mark Levinson. The only debatable thing on my car is that exhaust: We had four in the car for a drive and the older back seat passengers complained that it was loud when I accelerated up hills. Otherwise, just about perfect. Except that it has poor Bridgestone Turanza tires...can't wait to upgrade to Michelin Pilot Sport A/S ! Hope it helps. Doug

·
Registered
55 Posts
Add me to the list of ML system believers. I got a loaner while my car was serviced and the standard stereo was missing a lot of bass and the 7.1 surround in the ML system is excellent.

·
Registered
787 Posts
In December I picked up a 2008 350...paid $43k + tax and license here in Arizona.
That seem awfully expensive dude. I got an '07 in July and paid about $3k less with the same options and a lot of people here got much better prices than I did.

·
Registered
636 Posts
That seem awfully expensive dude. I got an '07 in July and paid about $3k less with the same options and a lot of people here got much better prices than I did.
Yeah, but now we know why you got such a good deal!

j/k ;) It sucks you had to go through all that trouble. At least you're getting upgraded to an '08 now :)

·
Registered
787 Posts
Yeah, but now we know why you got such a good deal!

j/k ;) It sucks you had to go through all that trouble. At least you're getting upgraded to an '08 now :)

I wish that was why I got my deal... but I've talked to guys here who smoked my price... and got a car that actually worked!!!

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
If you want the ML without the $4000 sticker you can just get the stereo upgrade -without- Nav... that's $940. Then buy a nice $300 garmin that does more than the factory nav system anyway :p

·
Registered
703 Posts
I think the dealer and I are going to have to sit down to talk

:lol:

I have maxed out the build sheet for an IS350, I am not getting the gfx kit, because I am ordering a kit, not getting the exhaust either I will do something with the aftermarket

I told them I was going to not have payments and cash would be on the table, so I believe below MSRP is going to be needed

Sound within reason?

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
If you want the ML without the $4000 sticker you can just get the stereo upgrade -without- Nav... that's $940. Then buy a nice $300 garmin that does more than the factory nav system anyway :p
The OEM nav also gives you BlueTooth. You have to pay $700 for a Garmin that does that.

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
The OEM nav also gives you BlueTooth. You have to pay $700 for a Garmin that does that.

No, you don't. I mean unless you're paying 2005 prices or something.

Garmin Nuvi 660. hands-free Bluetooth, plus realtime traffic (which the factory system CAN NOT do) and a bunch of other features too.

$369 from amazon.com

Amazon.com: Garmin nüvi 660 4.3-Inch Widescreen Bluetooth Portable GPS Navigator: Electronics

Plus only $75 to update the maps each year instead of the $300/yr Lexus gets.

Plus it can play audiobooks and mp3s. And you can hook it up to your PC to add custom POIs, custom routes, etc.

Plus you can take it with you if you travel and use a rental car.

Plus you don't take the depreciation hit that factory nav comes with.

That $369 is amazons normal price, if you feel like waiting for a sale you can get it even cheaper... the 660 was available for $299 around black friday/xmas time period.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts