Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got the VIN for my car and it shows a serial number around 12,000...

·
Registered
53 Posts
I thought they were only supposed to make 9000 cars for this calendar year, and then 25,000 for the full calendar year in 2001?

IS300Fool

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well their plans said "at least"...

Also I don't know for sure if the serial number in the VIN is an exact count of how many cars have been made.

And also the serial number may indicate that some more cars were made for other markets. I think the 9000 figure was for USA, but they are making IS300s for Canada and other countries. (but I don't know if they all share the same VIN numbering scheme).

·
Registered
44 Posts
I just got mine today and I'm 11,7xx and some change. Looks like they're releasing a batch of Graphite Greys.

Any idea how long before VIN assignment and car delivery?

David

·
Registered
52 Posts
If anyone has a copy of the latest Automotive News (a weekly paper for dealers and auto industry professionals), in the back it shows the latest production numbers for auto manufacturers.

I haven't checked it lately, but it might list the IS300 production run numbers...

·
Registered
76 Posts
Solar Yellow here ending with 05342. Perhaps they are starting different colors at different numbers? What about the build number listed on the driver's side door jamb?

Nancy

·
15,322 Posts
thing is...the serial/VIN number of the car isn't the same as the car number thats on the side of the door sill...i remember reading in the VIN decoder that the VIN should include the car number in the last few digits, but when i looked, it didn't. I thought the car number was the number the car was made?

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Someone once posted that the car # on the lower door sticker isn't really a serial number, rather a reusable code that controls how the car moves through the production factory. I think the last digits of the VIN are the best way to judge how many they have made, but (like I said) it may also include some non-US production.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
9 Participants
TEG
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing