Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well , after 58,000 miles my IS300 has suddenly started a weired shifting pattern. This is an E-shift transmission. 1st-3rd(maybe 4th) gear is smooth, but after there is a hard "jerk" into the final gear. I am scared . I have never had this happen before. I went to toyota dealer and picked up the transmission fluid,which I will try to change this weekend.
Any input will be great. Oh , it does not feel like slipping gears(the RPM's are not spiking,ect), just a final jerk into the last gear. This is all done in normal driving not M-mode.
Thank you for reading. Help!

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
I haven't had that happen myself. Usually when people report a harsh shift it is in the lower gear range. There was an ECU fix for that. Sounds like you have another issue. Does this harsh shift into 5th happen all the time?

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
ummm around 70-90 mph Ive always known there was a substantial "jerk' forward.

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
This is a Lexus... transmissions shouldn't jerk at any speed due to a design intent.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Well thanks guys, I have had the ecu recalibration done at the dealer @ about 51,000miles. The car never drove like this in its life! I have came to the conclusion that it happens at approx, 3.5-4K RPMs , so it is not only the final gear it is happening , but occurs maybe 2x before reaching 5th.

Note: when driving in M-mode I shift the gears seamlessly,no jeark( mybe this have something to do with me driving a stick shift maxima for 8 years too...) .

Steps that I am about to take:

I have called Lexus and spoke to a diagnostic tech. He said that these transmissions are solid and not known for problems, but there may be a sticky selonoid ( check spelling) . A transmission flush is recomended ( I never did one ). I have an appointment at toyota for this Saturday.
If the flush does not do anything to improve the shifting , he recomend that they check the car with the scan tool to see what the shift points were= $$$ out my A_ _ _!
Thank you all for your responses . My gratitude to one and all. I guess my Cressida project is now on hold...

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
Well not saying this is your situation directly but it is a thought to consider. If you have raced with the car or run the shit out of it then that is the cause. Now what I do know is that when you do such things with a car. The engine can handle it somewhat longer than the tranny.

Like I said not personal fingers being point here.

Also, if you bought the car used... Did the previous owner possibly do this to the car? Just to consider.

Best of luck with the issue man.
+rep!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well not saying this is your situation directly but it is a thought to consider. If you have raced with the car or run the shit out of it then that is the cause. Now what I do know is that when you do such things with a car. The engine can handle it somewhat longer than the tranny.

Like I said not personal fingers being point here.

Also, if you bought the car used... Did the previous owner possibly do this to the car? Just to consider.

Best of luck with the issue man.
+rep!
No , I am the original owner of this car bought it at 6miles (on the odometer). My wife drove it for 7 years, I seldomly drove it for that duration and never abused it never raced it ,auto x ect. Mobil 1 fully syn was added to my regular oil changes when the car reached approx its first 7,000 miles and continued every 7kmiles there after. I almost never used Power button (seldomly) and same goes for the M-mode. I guess this is my luck . I have went to 140 mph about 2x in 7years with this car and no hicups and frequently drove at 100+ mph ( I live in FL and yes I have gotten lots of tickets). I have never taken care of my Nissans 1\4th as much as I did for my IS300.
I lived in NYC ,equiped the IS with Blizzaks but kept the car in the garage ,while I give my wife a ride to her work,lol. So no way in hell did I ever abused this car. I made my wife a promise not to mod this car until she gave it to me and that was 7 years ago.

I have driven manual Nissan Maxima's for many years now to avoid "auto tragics", but here I am again ,dealing with Lexus .LOL. I am not giving up on Lexus or Knocking them either.
I will try to post the outcome of the "transmission flush". Man I pray to God this works!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, this is an update:
I have had the tranny flushed at Toyota ,but the hard shifting still exist. I called Lexus and remind them that they had reflashed the computer for the 1-2shifs so mybe they screwed up. Lexus had me come in and they did a diag. check ,every thing seems fine ;no codes. Test drove the car with one of thier senior diag.techs and he did feel the hard shifts and comforted me that it is ok. He reminded me that Lexus of Orlando have never had to replace a tranny on the IS300 before. Well do I buy into this ? I do not know? I am going to drive it for all it is worth now,lol. If it breaks Lexus will have to pay for it (because they said it was fine)!
So there it is fellas....
Thank you all for reading and giving +inputs.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts